Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default can cold damage a house?

"Norminn" wrote

clipped

I think reading the thread through, best is a combination of the replies.
Check room often, if possible (no rain or sleet coming in) prop the window
a bit, spend a little for a dehumidifier if after a week or so it looks
like you need it, and insulate the door a bit with something temporary
thats easy to take down and tuck back up after checking the room.

Reasonable advice in the thread, but I really wonder - by leaving one room
totally open to weather, you
then have adjoining rooms exposed to cold with no insulation in the
interior walls........

Not much different in that old house. Only 1 BR, the kitchen, and the
living room had insulation (grin). It was built in about 1870 if memory
serves and the walls were stuffed apparently at one time with newspaper
which had degraded? It was a fine filter about 1ft up the wall and the rest
was empty space.

Want a laugh? One with no knowledge 'how' something is properly done comes
up with all sorts of solutions. The first time Mom knocked out both sets of
tounge-n-groove stuff on an inner wall and all that fell out, well I was
normal and used a dust pan. Then she rolled some insulation at me and told
me how to figure out how to hang it.

I started at the bottom but pretty fast figured out that wouldnt work as it
fell over. Then I grabbed a wire hanger and unraveled it and stuck it
through it at the top and managed to get it ti hold up with some part holes
from a nail just started then pulled out.

;-) It was kinda like a stick through cotton candy.

I have no clue how professionals do that one. I just know I was careful
that the hangerwire was never near electrical wire and was well anchored for
long term stability.

I've gather since that my explaination is funny, but the technic is valid
even if they use some pre-made stuff vice unbending a wire hanger. I'd run
about like Luke Skywalker (only this predates the Star wars movies by quite
a bit) and stab the offending 'pink stuff' in the side then hook it in to
the holes. Worked for me! At least it help til we could get all that pesky
drywall up.