Posted to alt.home.repair
PerryOne PerryOne is offline

Default can cold damage a house?

On Nov 11, 10:15*pm, RJ_32 wrote:
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I
don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever.

If damage can occur, at what temperature would it occur? If I keep am unused
bedroom closed up for the winter with the radiator turned off, can anything
bad result?

In the normal way cold cannot damage a house.

And yes we do have winter in Europe, everywhere,
Four months winter and eight months bad weather.

The classic way to deal with winter is, to install a humidity
controlled electric fire.
When/if the water vapour in the air moves from a warm room to a cold
room, the level of humidity rises in the cold room and the electric
fire comes on to raise the temperture to the level required to hold
that amount of moisture in the air, rather than letting it condense
into or onto the coldest point in the room.