Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sanitize Used High Chair

Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but
want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Will you do this to every restaurant chair you ever put your grandson in?

Have you ever seen a headline that read "Child poisoned by furniture"?

However you would clean it after your grandson uses it would be just fine
for cleaning it now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote in message
. ..
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

A mixture of 10% Chlorine Bleach (5% active ingredient, not the bargain
brand) mixed with 90% water applied with a wet cloth will kill all the
germies. You can immerse the all plastic tray in the same solution if you
like for 3 minutes. Stainless steel on the plastic parts will not be harmed.
Exposed base metals may blacken from the bleach. Just wipe it off.

As for the restaurant comment, all the restaurants I managed or supervised
sanitized the darn things once per day or after each use if time permitted.
That is some of the scut work that people who aren't in the business never
know about.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:27:57 -0400, "Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote:

Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

If the chair is wood, wipe with mineral spirits. You could use an
oil-based soap solution with some alcohol added, but wash and dry it
quickly to avoid wood damage and rust. Soapy solution will kill 99%
of bacteria. It is not practical to sterilize a chair, although this
can be done if you can get a large enough autoclave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:

Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

My highchairs always got cleaned with Dawn dishwashing detergent, same
as the dishes. Occasional
scraping to remove old mushed banana or spaghetti ) A little bleach
in any household cleaner should
do fine. Don't forget, the tike crawls the floor and sticks fingers in
his mouth, along with whatever germs
were tracked in on adult feet. Has he touched a restroom faucet or door
knob? Yuck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Heck there were nine of us kids and we all survived
without all this namby-pamby sanitizing of everything.
Germs were the least of our worries, we were always
trying to kill each other. I remember once when baby
brother was in his playpen and one sibling exclaimed
"Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother
yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper
dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical
cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

"Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother
yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper
dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical
cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.

Chuckle. The fact of the matter is that the diaper dumpling came out of the
kid. So any germs in it came from the kid. Eating it is gross, but it ain't
gonna give him any germs he doesn't already have.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Douglas Johnson wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

"Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother
yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper
dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical
cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.

Chuckle. The fact of the matter is that the diaper dumpling came out of the
kid. So any germs in it came from the kid. Eating it is gross, but it ain't
gonna give him any germs he doesn't already have.
-- Doug

So that's why he's still alive today for us
to tease about his culinary pursuits as an
infant.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Douglas Johnson wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

"Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother
yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper
dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical
cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.

Chuckle. The fact of the matter is that the diaper dumpling came out of the
kid. So any germs in it came from the kid. Eating it is gross, but it ain't
gonna give him any germs he doesn't already have.
-- Doug

Well, that's completely not true. The stuff in your intestines is
absolutely not compatible with the stuff in your stomach, and can make
you quite ill.

But as for sanitizing a high chair, I think the OP is a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Think back to the 1940s and 50s. Polio was known as the rich kid's
disease because it seemed to be a more prevalent disease of the
well-to-do. Those were the kids who lived in super-clean homes and
never got to eat dirt.

I don't know how real this explanation was, but it seems plausible.
Frequent challenges to one's immune system may actually be beneficial.

Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote:
Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but
want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Will you do this to every restaurant chair you ever put your grandson in?

Have you ever seen a headline that read "Child poisoned by furniture"?

However you would clean it after your grandson uses it would be just fine
for cleaning it now.

Basically agree, you don't need clean-room conditions for a little kid,
they are usually quite durable. (If they were not, homo sapiens would
have gone extinct thousands of years ago.) And a few germs help to keep
their immune system exercised. I will say, if it is an antique chair,
especially a wood one, check it for lead paint. And make sure any straps
or movable parts are not finger pinchers or provide any way kid could
slide out held by the neck or anything. Some high chairs were obviously
designed by engineers who had never wrangled a squirmy kid. But if it
was made within last 20 years or so, and has all the parts, you should
be fine.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 7:27*am, "Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Sure bleach, mineral spirits, or the old vodka will all do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote in message
. ..
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

My wife puts stuff in the pool. I don't know if it works.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote in
:

Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but
want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Toss it in the back of the pickup and run it through the car wash. OK to
leave grandson in highchair long as he has seatbelt on. He'll have a blast!
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

I dunno about sterilizing it, but we found the easiest way to clean a
high chair was to put it in a hot shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Hi,
Never bought used stuffs for my kids when they were very young.
IMO, hot steam cleaner will do good job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 25 Oct 2008 10:08:56p, CJT told us...

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want
to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

I dunno about sterilizing it, but we found the easiest way to clean a
high chair was to put it in a hot shower.

A wipe-down with a solution of bleach and water before the hot shower will
kill just about anything that might be lurking.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
2wks 2dys 1hrs 45mins
Crime wouldn't pay if the government
ran it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Douglas Johnson wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

"Hey, where'd he get the candy bar?!" other brother
yelled "That's not a candy bar!" It was a diaper
dumpling. Needless to say there was a lot of hysterical
cleanup and concern afterwards but baby brother lived.

Chuckle. The fact of the matter is that the diaper dumpling came out of the
kid. So any germs in it came from the kid. Eating it is gross, but it ain't
gonna give him any germs he doesn't already have.
-- Doug

Well, that's completely not true. The stuff in your intestines is
absolutely not compatible with the stuff in your stomach, and can make
you quite ill.

Perhaps that's where the saying "Eat **** and die." came from.

But as for sanitizing a high chair, I think the OP is a troll.

You never can tell who's a troll, I'm not that ugly.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop.
It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but
want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

If Lysol doesn't do a good enough job for you then shellac the whole
thing--that will seal in any microbes that are on it where they can't
hurt anybody.

If you want more than that then use it as a pattern and make a new one
then use the old one for firewood.

I'd be more concerned about it having lead based paint on it if it's
old enough for that to be a concern.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't know how they sanitize the boy.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ktos" wrote in message
Hate to say it, but the kid is probably more dirty than the high chair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh, now he'll be posting a new thread on lead paint removal!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

I'd be more concerned about it having lead based paint on it if it's
old enough for that to be a concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote in message
. ..
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

SDM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp-Dressed Man wrote:
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks
clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

I was a janitor for many years. I'd recommend filling a spray bottle
with rubbing alcohol, then take the chair outside and hose it down with
it. The sun will dry the alcohol so there will be no fumes.

You didn't say if the chair was fabric upholstered or whatever though,
but following the alcohol spray with a good scrub using a solution of
Tide and water will clean about anything, and very well.

--
John Corliss BS206. I use nFilter to block all Google Groups posts
because of Googlespam. No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, dotnet,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just wait till he figures out the boy has more germs than the chair.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Yes, get some OCD therapy.

"Sharp-Dressed Man" zz wrote in message
. ..
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It
looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to
sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it.

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

a brand new one from china is likely more hazardous than local bugs
from america

lead based paint, foreign bugs, hazardous stuff in plastics etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the chair is wood, wipe with mineral spirits.
You could use an oil-based soap solution with some alcohol added,
but wash and dry it quickly to avoid wood damage and rust.

Good suggestion. I'll do the same thing.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

high chair design john Woodturning 3 January 17th 06 10:59 AM
Harrow High Chair [Again] Made in UK Richard Woodworking 0 January 6th 06 03:49 PM
Harrow High Chair Richard Woodworking 7 January 5th 06 01:40 PM
INSPIRATION - HIGH KING'S CHAIR J T Woodworking 9 April 29th 05 11:46 PM
Refinishing a High Chair Jerry Woodworking 1 February 13th 04 11:03 PM