Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone junction block

Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something
that doesn't exist anymore?

My phone line comes into the house then splits off in 6 directions.

Originally all the red/green wires were on a single pair of posts in a
terminal block.

Then I tried wrapping, soldering, and b-connectors. Last go around
was with one of these
http://www.fruitridgetools.com/store...=8171 &dfid=1
"Leviton C0219-I ivory telephone wire junction block"

The problem with the last was disconnecting one line to troubleshoot.

Looking around I see some that are "punch down" blocks- but it appears
that I would need a special tool to attach the wires- and It doesn't
look like they make detaching a single line easy.

Something like a phone jack but with 16-20 posts seems to me to be
what I want.

Isn't there a terminal block that makes troubleshooting problems easy?
[I seem to have more than my share of telephone- partly because of the
maze of wires throughout the house- and partly because I haven't
stopped construction here for 20 yrs.]

Is it time to just wire one up on a piece of plexi or can I buy one?

[Going wireless isn't a viable option. Cell phone service is poor in
the house- and I've tried a half dozen different cordless phone
systems without being real happy with any of them.]

Thanks
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

If you are lucky and live in the right place your local flea market will
have a "phone guy" who may have answers and stuff.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had this problem in an older house I owned once. I put the wires
from each circuit to spade lugs. Then, I could easily slip one off of
the binding post screws for testing. I also had a spare jack screwed
on to the mounting board that was connected to the outgoing phone
line. Easy to break out a circuit and test things. The newer service
box allows you to disconnect each circuit, more or less, which
addresses this problem nicely. A trip to Rat Shack??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:54:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something that
doesn't exist anymore?

My phone line comes into the house then splits off in 6 directions.

Originally all the red/green wires were on a single pair of posts in a
terminal block.

Then I tried wrapping, soldering, and b-connectors. Last go around
was with one of these
http://www.fruitridgetools.com/store...cessfeed.aspx?

sfid=136763&i=153447276&mpid=8171&dfid=1
"Leviton C0219-I ivory telephone wire junction block"

The problem with the last was disconnecting one line to troubleshoot.

Looking around I see some that are "punch down" blocks- but it appears
that I would need a special tool to attach the wires- and It doesn't
look like they make detaching a single line easy.

Something like a phone jack but with 16-20 posts seems to me to be what
I want.

Isn't there a terminal block that makes troubleshooting problems easy?
[I seem to have more than my share of telephone- partly because of the
maze of wires throughout the house- and partly because I haven't stopped
construction here for 20 yrs.]

a variety of problems appears to be caused by the old lug post telephone
connections. Including noise, and intermittent connections. Long story
short, the days of the lug posts will be less and less as time goes on.
The rule was once that no more than 2 or 3 wires were to be attached to
any post. But that 'rule' lasted only until the rule was printed. Then
the rule was each wire was to be separated by a brass washer, yeah,
right, that rule was followed yes-sir!

I have heard of people taking a hint from the electricians: run a short
wire to the post, and on the other end joining several wires with a small
speed nut. The problem there was stranded wire, as speed nuts works best
with solid copper.

Radio Shack at one time sold a small box where your line into you home
from the DeMark was attached by screw lug, and all the lines in your home
was connected by an RJ11 connectors on the side of this box.
Do a search at Lowe's web site for a "phone outlet extension strip"

However, you had to purchase a crimp tool and attach a RJ11 connector to
each of your runs for phone line. This DYI crimping was at best a phone
line problem waiting to happen; the crimping was usually not properly
done on *all* the wires. The crimping could be done by a DIY-er, but the
proper crimp tool was way more expensive than the cheap in-effective one
sold at the BORG.

The punch-down block technology is over 40 years old and has been very
successful.

BTW: it takes less than 5 minutes to demonstrate how to make connections
with the punch-down tool. Another 10 minutes of workshop practice using
the punch down tool. Plus maybe another 5 minutes to learn how to create
several (or many) connections to a single line in. (aside: to be good at
this however, takes time, training, and skill, which few homeowner have
the leisure time to invest.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:37*am, professorpaul wrote:
I had this problem in an older house I owned once. I put the wires
from each circuit to spade lugs. Then, I could easily slip one off of
the binding post screws for testing. I also had a spare jack screwed
on to the mounting board that was connected to the outgoing phone
line. Easy to break out a circuit and test things. The newer service
box allows you to disconnect each circuit, more or less, which
addresses this problem nicely. *A trip to Rat Shack??

You need whats called a 66 block with bridging clips. You can isolate
each line easily by opening up the clips. Although you do need a
special punch down tool, you can get away with using a small flatblade
screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

You can buy all manner of punch-blocks on Ebay. Get the tool for the
punch-block you use.

Example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-R66MOD164BS-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Casual use of a screwdriver to punch down the wires causes an almost
impossible problem to find. The screwdriver spreads the teeth of the
punch-block gripper such that it no longer makes good contact with the wire.
This results in intermittent (or nonexistent) connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

I used one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

to clean up the mess in my basement a few years back.

Is that what you are looking for?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually that may be his best solution. Use one of these for green and one
for red, jumper all the way across the top row of each, then use the bottom
row to hook the individual runs ...

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something
that doesn't exist anymore?

I used one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

to clean up the mess in my basement a few years back.

Is that what you are looking for?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote:

-snip-
I used one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

to clean up the mess in my basement a few years back.

Is that what you are looking for?

That's exactly what I had in mind! Thanks.

Wish the kids at the Radio Shack I went to yesterday had heard of
them.g I ought to go back there as the online store says they have
them in stock. But I think I'll go to a different store.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:54:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something that
doesn't exist anymore?

-snip-
Radio Shack at one time sold a small box where your line into you home
from the DeMark was attached by screw lug, and all the lines in your home
was connected by an RJ11 connectors on the side of this box.
Do a search at Lowe's web site for a "phone outlet extension strip"

Yep- Radio Shack still has them. About twice as much as the one at
Lowe's.

However, you had to purchase a crimp tool and attach a RJ11 connector to
each of your runs for phone line. This DYI crimping was at best a phone
line problem waiting to happen; the crimping was usually not properly
done on *all* the wires. The crimping could be done by a DIY-er, but the
proper crimp tool was way more expensive than the cheap in-effective one
sold at the BORG.

The tool was $40 at RS. The manager said 'buy it and return it when
you're done'. While I was thinking about it I talked myself out of
trying to make decent RJ11 connections my first time out. I also
didn't like the idea of all those contacts holding up in my basement.
I'm more comfortable with ancient technology done right than the new
stuff done by a clueless one.

The punch-down block technology is over 40 years old and has been very
successful.

I had almost become a convert- Glad I got a link to this-
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

BTW: it takes less than 5 minutes to demonstrate how to make connections
with the punch-down tool. Another 10 minutes of workshop practice using
the punch down tool. Plus maybe another 5 minutes to learn how to create
several (or many) connections to a single line in. (aside: to be good at
this however, takes time, training, and skill, which few homeowner have
the leisure time to invest.)

Agree. I'm sure I would be able to do it. I've seen tools for a
little as $10. But whether I would be able to do it well wouldn't
be known until some dark night when I wanted a phone it wouldn't work.

Thanks for your insight.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 12:39*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
Actually that may be his best solution. *Use one of these for green and one
for red, *jumper all the way across the top row of each, then use the bottom
row to hook the individual runs ...

That terminal block is good, but the 66 block has bridging clips which
is useful when you want to isolate aech seperate line in case there's
a problem. With the terminal block, you have to physically disconnect
each wire to troubleshoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote:

-snip-
I used one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

to clean up the mess in my basement a few years back.

Is that what you are looking for?

That's exactly what I had in mind! Thanks.

Wish the kids at the Radio Shack I went to yesterday had heard of
them.g I ought to go back there as the online store says they
have
them in stock. But I think I'll go to a different store.

The screw block may seem to be simpler than a punchdown block, but
it's really not.

Use a punchdown block once and you'll never want to go back.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The screw block may seem to be simpler than a punchdown block, but
it's really not.

Use a punchdown block once and you'll never want to go back.
--John

Some of us old guys would rather screw than strip. And we can always find a
screwdriver.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

You don't say what the telephone problem is that you are
trying to solve....

Note that normal service is for an REN number of 5.

If you have 16 phones on a single line, that number might
be exceeded and stuff won't work right...phones won't ring.

If this is your problem, -- the phones don't ring -- then
go google " telephone REN" to read up on what I
am talking about....

If my post is redundant, please accept my apology...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The screw block may seem to be simpler than a punchdown block, but
it's really not.

Use a punchdown block once and you'll never want to go back.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

But you don't need to remove wires from a punch block to troubleshoot.
You just lift the clip. Thats one reason why they are so commonly used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

Andy writes:

You don't say what the telephone problem is that you are
trying to solve....

Over 20 years- probably 20 different problems.g

Note that normal service is for an REN number of 5.

40 yrs ago when I worked for a telco only the number of ringers
mattered. Is that what the REN means? We have about 13 terminal
blocks- but only 7 or 8 phones, a couple caller-id displays and an
answering machine- and only 2 ring.

All the problems I've had over the years have been with wiring or
equipment malfunctions.

If you have 16 phones on a single line, that number might
be exceeded and stuff won't work right...phones won't ring.

If this is your problem, -- the phones don't ring -- then
go google " telephone REN" to read up on what I
am talking about....

Wasn't my problem but curiosity got the best of me-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Can't believe the Western Electric 500 phone is still used as the
standard. I'll bet 5 of my dinky little phones don't draw what one
of those beasts do/did. [and now I read on that page that is about
the ratio for "externally-powered digital-ring" phones.]

If my post is redundant, please accept my apology...

Appreciate the thoughts- BTW- I think there's some rule against
apologizing on Usenet. I won't report you this time.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 10:28*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Andy wrote:
Andy writes:

[...]

Nothing wrong with he 500 type (And its Automatic Electric and British
GPO equivalent phones). Very rugged and maintainable

Provides a good standard of transmission, provides a reasonable return
loss which allows telephone companies to increase and improve long
distance transmission standards. Does not require any in home
batteries, re-chargers or electric power, so it works during power
failures because all energy to work it comes from the telephone line.

The main problems with telephone sets we had, were after customers
were allowed to hook up any of the old junk and el-cheapo phones that
have come on the market.

Among others we had a cheap (and unsafe) bedside radio plus phone that
was leaking AC line voltage into the phone line! But the worst was two
cheap phones that a fireman's two sons had received with magazine
subscriptions. They loaded down the telephone line so badly that the
regular, main telephone wouldn't ring! And the fireman was on
emergency call-out! Once the two el-cheapos were removed everything
went back to normal.

Other amusing (and sometimes time consuming) incidents included a
continental European dial pulsing phone that had a different
percentage ratio to its dial contacts so that it frequently dialled
wrong numbers!

Another was a doctor's office telephone system that was powered from
the same circuit as the sump pump. Every time the (faulty) sump tried
to cut in it 'blew the fuse' and the whole doctor's telephone system
stopped working. I recommended the doctors office should plug in one
regular phone on their first line and put it in a cupboard so at least
they'd know someone was calling them; until the owner of the building
fixed up the AC supply fusing and the sump pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

Although you do need a special punch down tool, you can get
away with using a small flatblade screwdriver.

Well, yeah, with YEARS of experience performing such a hink occasionally
because one had forgotten his punch-down (Impact Insertion tool) and had
only ONE connection to make.

If you're going to the expense and work of a properly-wired 66M150
block, (25-pair connecting/66 block, open down the middle, uses bridging
clips across each connection from left to right), you should acquire and
use the proper insertion tool. The small-bladed screwdriver approach is
a hink, a kludge and easily done improperly at the peril of the block
itself.

I installed four 66M150 blocks to interconnect the 1600-ft of 6-pair
homeruns I installed to ~23 locations through my home when it was built
in 1991.

We don need no steenkin' binding posts!
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

All the problems I've had over the years have been with wiring or
equipment malfunctions.

Well, that about covers it ALL!
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 00:06:28 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

All the problems I've had over the years have been with wiring or
equipment malfunctions.

Well, that about covers it ALL!

Taken out of context that *is* pretty funny. In the original post I
didn't feel the need to put the qualifier; 'never had a problem with
too many ringers'.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

'never had a problem with too many ringers'.

Boy, *I* sure did once...

To my home with WELL over five working phones/ringers, I brought another
five Western Electric sets and connected them.

I was sitting by one of the grandfathered sets reading when we received
an incoming call.

It wasn't until the second or third barely audible "groan" from the
telephone base that I suspected something was amiss. I picked-up the
handset, put it to my ear and, instead of a dial tone, I heard the
breathing or muttering (probably muttering by that time) of the calling
party.

I physically disconnected five ringers around the house and things were
ringing normally in no time.

Now, with my three daughters grown, married and with kids of their own,
I have FAR more phones than I will ever use. Indeed, their "teenline"
(AFH/second line) has only one phone connected to it now and is
virtually never used. That's in stark contrast to its heyday when
three, young teenage girls used it.

It's ringer is shut off but I still check it occasionally to ensure the
line is still good.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now THAT's a funny reminder!! The whole TELCO industry had the entire world
believing that they could tell how many phones you had.... LMMFAO!!!

wrote in message

I have somewhere between 6 and 10 phones plugged in at any given time.
Only 2 ring, a legacy of the old "illegal phone" days when Ma Bell
would look for ringers. Everyone knew you disconnected the bell on
your "illegal phones".
I only have one phone that is not W/E.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have somewhere between 6 and 10 phones plugged in at any given time.
Only 2 ring, a legacy of the old "illegal phone" days when Ma Bell
would look for ringers. Everyone knew you disconnected the bell on
your "illegal phones".
I only have one phone that is not W/E.

Well, they probably COULD have, if they wanted to have a guy measure the
draw on the local loop when it rang, but it is highly unlikely they
would ever bother, unless the Phone Police thought you were a scammer
for other reasons.

And don't forget- pre '73, it was hard to even BUY a non Ma Bell phone,
for most people. It was simply a non-issue. When Ma abandoned all the
old rental phones in place a few years ago, I was hoping more would show
up at garage sales, but they are few and far between, the last few
years. Most of my WE collection is starting to be early 70s or older on
the internals, so they are starting to go flakey on me. (What modern
phone will go 40 years?)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something
that doesn't exist anymore?

My phone line comes into the house then splits off in 6 directions.

Originally all the red/green wires were on a single pair of posts in a
terminal block.

Then I tried wrapping, soldering, and b-connectors. Last go around
was with one of these

http://www.fruitridgetools.com/store...px?sfid=136763
&i=153447276&mpid=8171&dfid=1
[...]

Here's some of my work: