Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Telephone junction block

Andy wrote:

Andy writes:

You don't say what the telephone problem is that you are
trying to solve....

Over 20 years- probably 20 different problems.g

Note that normal service is for an REN number of 5.

40 yrs ago when I worked for a telco only the number of ringers
mattered. Is that what the REN means? We have about 13 terminal
blocks- but only 7 or 8 phones, a couple caller-id displays and an
answering machine- and only 2 ring.

All the problems I've had over the years have been with wiring or
equipment malfunctions.

If you have 16 phones on a single line, that number might
be exceeded and stuff won't work right...phones won't ring.

If this is your problem, -- the phones don't ring -- then
go google " telephone REN" to read up on what I
am talking about....

Wasn't my problem but curiosity got the best of me-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Can't believe the Western Electric 500 phone is still used as the
standard. I'll bet 5 of my dinky little phones don't draw what one
of those beasts do/did. [and now I read on that page that is about
the ratio for "externally-powered digital-ring" phones.]

If my post is redundant, please accept my apology...

Appreciate the thoughts- BTW- I think there's some rule against
apologizing on Usenet. I won't report you this time.

Jim