Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Telephone junction block

Phil Again wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:54:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Am I just using the wrong terminology or am I looking for something that
doesn't exist anymore?

-snip-
Radio Shack at one time sold a small box where your line into you home
from the DeMark was attached by screw lug, and all the lines in your home
was connected by an RJ11 connectors on the side of this box.
Do a search at Lowe's web site for a "phone outlet extension strip"

Yep- Radio Shack still has them. About twice as much as the one at
Lowe's.

However, you had to purchase a crimp tool and attach a RJ11 connector to
each of your runs for phone line. This DYI crimping was at best a phone
line problem waiting to happen; the crimping was usually not properly
done on *all* the wires. The crimping could be done by a DIY-er, but the
proper crimp tool was way more expensive than the cheap in-effective one
sold at the BORG.

The tool was $40 at RS. The manager said 'buy it and return it when
you're done'. While I was thinking about it I talked myself out of
trying to make decent RJ11 connections my first time out. I also
didn't like the idea of all those contacts holding up in my basement.
I'm more comfortable with ancient technology done right than the new
stuff done by a clueless one.

The punch-down block technology is over 40 years old and has been very
successful.

I had almost become a convert- Glad I got a link to this-
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

BTW: it takes less than 5 minutes to demonstrate how to make connections
with the punch-down tool. Another 10 minutes of workshop practice using
the punch down tool. Plus maybe another 5 minutes to learn how to create
several (or many) connections to a single line in. (aside: to be good at
this however, takes time, training, and skill, which few homeowner have
the leisure time to invest.)

Agree. I'm sure I would be able to do it. I've seen tools for a
little as $10. But whether I would be able to do it well wouldn't
be known until some dark night when I wanted a phone it wouldn't work.

Thanks for your insight.

Jim