Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOA: "I don't give a f*** what his problem is..."

Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to Iraq,
and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ervist06m.html

Must be an Army reserve unit. Marines would remove the developer's lungs
with an ice cream scoop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "I don't give a f*** what his problem is..."

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to
Iraq, and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ervist06m.html

Must be an Army reserve unit. Marines would remove the developer's lungs
with an ice cream scoop.

Would be nice if the guy that is so angry over the situation could put that
energy into helping the guy out with his yard.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

m...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...428_reservist0...

Must be an Army reserve unit. Marines would remove the developer's lungs
with an ice cream scoop.

Would be nice if the guy that is so angry over the situation could put that
energy into helping the guy out with his yard.

olddog

Seriously, what an asshat. Surely the developer would have some
contacts that he could use to get "acceptable" landscaping done for
cheap rather than just sounding like a douchebag while talking to a
reporter. I'd be willing to bet that Lt. Jensen would be OK with
that, and might even be able to pay for it (not clear, but I assume
that the problem is that he is overseas, not that he's broke.) I hope
that the developer gets stuck with all the property he still owns and
ends up declaring bankruptcy.

As an aside, this is why you never buy in a HOA. Sure, some of them
are innocuous, but you have no way of really knowing.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Oct 10, 8:44 am, "retired53" [email protected] wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

[...]

I've never been in an HOA but I have been in a Neighborhood Assoc. (NA).
They were the only people I could turn to when my across-the-street neighbor
started throwing pot parties in front of his house at 3:00am.

In some areas (outside city limits) a good NA can be useful.

I'd have no problem moving into another NA but I'd take a carefull look at
the contract and the neighborhood first. Also, maybe get to know the NA
president or attend a meeting if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 9:00 am, N8N wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:44 am, "retired53" [email protected] wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

om...

[...]

The developer's first name is Chick. No wonder he's so angry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to Iraq,
and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ervist06m.html

Must be an Army reserve unit. Marines would remove the developer's lungs
with an ice cream scoop.

Read on ....... the reservist's wife moved out, so the property is
abandoned. The developer should lose
because the owners have abandoned and neglected the property? BS.
Being called up is no excuse
for being an irresponsible slob. Didn't know he might be called up?
Bought TWO ACRES to landscape?
When I couldn't pay rent, I lost occupancy privileges. Logical,
reasonable, appropriate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I've never been in an HOA but I have been in a Neighborhood Assoc. (NA).
They were the only people I could turn to when my across-the-street neighbor
started throwing pot parties in front of his house at 3:00am.

In some areas (outside city limits) a good NA can be useful.

I'd have no problem moving into another NA but I'd take a carefull look at
the contract and the neighborhood first. Also, maybe get to know the NA
president or attend a meeting if possible.

I wouldn't want to move to another HOA or condo, but the first step,
before making an offer, would
be to ask the seller to see minutes from an association meeting. Only
way to get a true picture of
issues and how they are handles. Next step would be to get police
records for calls to the address
and neighboring properties. Drive through late on a weekend evening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
clipped

I've never been in an HOA but I have been in a Neighborhood Assoc. (NA).
They were the only people I could turn to when my across-the-street
neighbor started throwing pot parties in front of his house at 3:00am.

In some areas (outside city limits) a good NA can be useful.

I'd have no problem moving into another NA but I'd take a carefull look at
the contract and the neighborhood first. Also, maybe get to know the NA
president or attend a meeting if possible.

I wouldn't want to move to another HOA or condo, but the first step,
before making an offer, would
be to ask the seller to see minutes from an association meeting. Only way
to get a true picture of
issues and how they are handles. Next step would be to get police records
for calls to the address
and neighboring properties. Drive through late on a weekend evening.

Excellent suggestions.

My next house is going to be in the country away from all neighborhoods if
possible. We're planning on moving into a more rural area in south TX. It's
been my experience, in TX, that people here don't respect each other as much
as they did in NM. Weird. Too bad my wife's family lives here.

olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message

Read on ....... the reservist's wife moved out, so the property is
abandoned. The developer should lose
because the owners have abandoned and neglected the property? BS. Being
called up is no excuse
for being an irresponsible slob. Didn't know he might be called up?
Bought TWO ACRES to landscape?
When I couldn't pay rent, I lost occupancy privileges. Logical,
reasonable, appropriate.

Are you saying that since he is a reservist he should not buy property? He
should live in a dumpy apartment "just in case" he has to leave suddenly?

The truth is probably in the middle ground. Employers have to make
provisions for reservists, no reason a developer can't do the same. Maybe
even do some of the work in the meantime. He is making himself look the
fool right now, be it a contract or not.

As for the two acres, that m ay well be the minimum lot size as determined
by the town for septic use. That is hte minimum in my town if you are
outside the sewer district.

Fact is, neither of us knows the whole story from the article we read.
There may be a lot more to this on both sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

retired53 wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
om...

clipped

[...]

I like neighbors at least close enough to hear if I holler "help" ) I
live with a high concentration of drunks
who live off trust funds. Who me? Work? I could drop dead on the
front sidewalk here and I doubt they
would even bother to have the corpse removed. Have had neighbors in
other places who looked out for
me even before we got to know each other. Have had neighbors who came
to the door about problems
between children who settled things in a friendly, responsible way. Had
one neighbor who was a dream;
severely disabled by emphysema but helped out when I had a plumbing
problem. He wasn't able to WALK across
the street, but he insisted on helping and got on his riding mower to
come over and help me out. He's
in heaven now, bless his soul.

Another friend became a widow when her hubby died at 88. He was the
last husband to go in the neighborhood
they retired to, and several close friends who were also widows still
lived there. My friend had multiple
health problems, and one of her buddies, also high eighties became very
ill and could no longer drive them
both to the grocery. I heard my friend on the phone one day saying,
"Well, if you don't get out of bed,
you will never get better." Hell, they both got better in spite of
severe limitations. Lived for each other,
I suppose. I've know some of the best and some of the worst.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 5:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to Iraq,
and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...428_reservist0...

Assuming you have presented the complete picture, the man or his wife
or his lawyer should contact their Member of Congress. Surprising how
few people think of using these ****s. They are always thrilled to
solve
a constituent's problems; translates to votes next time. Also, when
the Secretary of Defense will take the Congresscritter's call.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 12:38*am, Artful Dodger wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote: Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to Iraq,
and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...428_reservist0...

Assuming you have presented the complete picture, *the man or his wife
or his lawyer should contact their Member of Congress. *Surprising how
few people think of using these ****s. *They are always thrilled to
solve
a constituent's problems; translates to votes next time. *Also, when
the Secretary of Defense will take the Congresscritter's call.

Good luck.

Enough of the picture has been presented that it looks to me there are
two sides. One key piece of information is that the neighbors had to
mow down the weeds. Now, forget about not doing the landscaping and
irrigation system after a year. If the homeowners are the least bit
responsible, then why aren't they at least having the property
regularly mowed?

It sounds like there is a good possibility these buyers bit off more
than they can chew. I have a lot of sympathy for those serving their
country and would certainly give them extra consideration, but you
have to look at all the facts and both sides of the situation before
you leap to conclusions. Also, by now, being a reservist and being
called up isn't unexpected, so it's not like it came totally out of
the blue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 5:29*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Man buys house and lot in Kennewick, Wash. According to HOA rules, he has
one year from occupancy to landscape (including irrigation) his 2-acre
property.

However, the man's reserve unit has been mobilized, he's on his way to Iraq,
and his wife is pregnant.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...428_reservist0...

Must be an Army reserve unit. Marines would remove the developer's lungs
with an ice cream scoop.

I find this story more than passing strange. I live no more than
about 60 miles away over here in eastern Washington. I am pretty much
of a news hound and catch at least 3 local TV news reports every day
plus take the Spokesman Review newspaper that usually has good
coverage of this area. Odd that this is the first I have read (or
heard) about the situation. I would think it would be front page news
in the local sections.

Harry K