Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default OK, I give up: what is a "registered" chisel?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

David writes:
[ nothing, just a subject line ]

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the
point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is
there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle
joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on. Usually there is a
leather washer between this flange and the handle to somewhat dampen
the impact (writing this sentence, i somehow start to question the
logic behind this: Why would you want to lessen the impact of the
hammer to the chisel blade?).
This kind of contruction is most often found in mortice chisels
because they have to take a lot more force than most other chisel
types.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

David writes:
[ nothing, just a subject line ]

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the
point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is
there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle
joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on. Usually there is a
leather washer between this flange and the handle to somewhat dampen
the impact (writing this sentence, i somehow start to question the
logic behind this: Why would you want to lessen the impact of the
hammer to the chisel blade?).
This kind of contruction is most often found in mortice chisels
because they have to take a lot more force than most other chisel
types.

Thank you for the primer and so quickly, too! I had visions of serial
numbers etched into the shanks and a database like DMV.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Google is your friend...
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Chris Friesen wrote:

Google is your friend...

tried it and didnt' see a definition. just links to registered chisels.

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Chris Friesen wrote:

Google is your friend...

how about if we ALL google everything and then we can close down this
NG? TWIT.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..
Chris Friesen wrote:

Google is your friend...

how about if we ALL google everything and then we can close down this NG?
TWIT.

I was thinking the same thing but refrained as I knew that you would
probably say it. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..

Chris Friesen wrote:

Google is your friend...

how about if we ALL google everything and then we can close down this NG?
TWIT.

I was thinking the same thing but refrained as I knew that you would
probably say it. LOL

I almost didn't. I reviewed a number of his earlier posts. than I
realized that I am arguably correct in placing him in the "twit" category.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Registered" refers to parallel sides. Registered chisels are pretty
much always mortice chisels, and the parallel sides keep the chisel
running true.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the
point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is
there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle
joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on.

There is another definition of "registered chisel", where the sides are
square (ie. "registered") to the bottom. This is distinct from a
"bevelled chisel" where the sides are beveled. Typically this kind of
"registered chisel" is thinner than a full-on mortise chisel.

Then there's yet another theory
(http://thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_framing.htm) that says "The
term "Registered" Chisel has its roots in the fact that up until modern
times, unique handle designs were often "registered" with the British
government for copyright protection.".

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Juergen Hannappel wrote:
David writes:
[ nothing, just a subject line ]

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the
point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is
there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle
joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on. Usually there is a
leather washer between this flange and the handle to somewhat dampen
the impact (writing this sentence, i somehow start to question the
logic behind this: Why would you want to lessen the impact of the
hammer to the chisel blade?).

It doesn't lesson the impact, but rather acts as a shock absorber to
spread it out over time.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

David wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
Google is your friend...

how about if we ALL google everything and then we can close down this
NG? TWIT.

Hmm...I see no reason to revisit topics which have already been
adressed. If that makes me a twit, so be it.

Here is some information on registered chisels from google, some even
from previous discussions on this newsgroup:

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_framing.htm
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...4a50f140e2d261
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...2984f906c2896e
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...793e8d267a7b20

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Chris Friesen wrote:
David wrote:

Chris Friesen wrote:

Google is your friend...

how about if we ALL google everything and then we can close down this
NG? TWIT.

Hmm...I see no reason to revisit topics which have already been
adressed. If that makes me a twit, so be it.

Here is some information on registered chisels from google, some even
from previous discussions on this newsgroup:

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_framing.htm
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...4a50f140e2d261
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...2984f906c2896e
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.wo...793e8d267a7b20

Chris

I read your links, Chris. I'd have been happier had you not assumed I
don't know how to Google. I looked through a number of hits and did not
get a definition. all I got was links to registered chisels, which I
looked at and read about. None of the links told me what "registered"
means.

Thanks for providing the links you just did. I now see there are at
least 3 different ideas of what "registered" means. That tells me this
is just an appropriate subject for discussion on this NG.

Would you agree?

If we don't revisit topics, as you've suggested, that means we can't
discuss band saws, table saws, miter saws, chisels, sharpening, oak,
pine, maple, walnut, Lee Valley, DeWALT, Delta, Makita, planing, rust
protection, glue, clamps, lights, jointers, woodworking magazines,
moisture meters, compressors, nailers, Norm, Krenov, Jeff Jewitt,
routers, CMT, Amana, Whiteside, Bosch, Kreg, bamboo, dust collection,
Oneida, Roo Glue, vacuum bags, Lie Nielsen, Auto Cad, scrapers, A2
steel, burnishers, belt sanders, sand paper, Craftsman, air cleaners,
insulation, ballasts, Minwax, dyes, stains, drill presses, OSS's,
Starrett, tape measures, Bubinga, Appleply, MDO, MDF, Home Depot...

so, YES, I think you are a TWIT!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:19:13 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Google is your friend...

Until he turns over the results of all of your searching to the
gummit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

David wrote:

I read your links, Chris. I'd have been happier had you not assumed I
don't know how to Google.

Given that you provided no context for the request, how is the reader to
know whether or not you had done any research? I suppose I could just
Google you--so I do...and in doing so I see you pointing other people to
google as well. grin

Thanks for providing the links you just did.

You're welcome.

I now see there are at
least 3 different ideas of what "registered" means. That tells me this
is just an appropriate subject for discussion on this NG.

Would you agree?

As it turns out, the fact that there are multiple possibilities does
make for an interesting discussion. Hopefully there are some
authoritative people out there who can contribute.

If we don't revisit topics, as you've suggested, that means we can't
discuss

big list of stuff snipped

I've not nothing against revisiting topics, as long as there's something
new to say. Rehashing all the same stuff all over again just for the
sake of typing doesn't do it for me when you can read many previous
threads on all of those topics.

so, YES, I think you are a TWIT!

Ah well. I've been called worse. grin

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
"Registered" refers to parallel sides. Registered chisels are pretty
much always mortice chisels, and the parallel sides keep the chisel
running true.

If there has ever been any other definition than the above, I am unaware of
it.

.... then again, that, and three dollars, may get you a cup of coffee these
days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Chris Friesen wrote:

David wrote:

[...]

Glad to see you didn't get all bent out of shape by my post!

Some topics have been discussed ad nausem, such as right tilt vs left
tilt and when I see one of those, I just skip it!

Other topics, such as the one I posted about registered chisels has not
been discussed, to the best of my knowledge. I only googled the web;
not newsgroups, because I initially wanted to find a formal definition
by a manufacturer. I'm sure that one may exist but I didn't uncover it
quickly. I didn't want to turn my curiosity into an all day project.

I have several reasons for posting:

1. to make a funny
2. to post an opinion or state a few "facts" as I see them
3. to ask questions generally related to woodworking
4. to post an OT subject that I feel will be interesting enough to
others to elicit responses

I have several reasons for skipping a thread:

1. subject matter (political head butting here irritates me, but there's
nothing I can do about it, so I skip over it)
2. total lack of knowledge (and I have no interest in asking about it)
3. The OP has asked a question that's been asked 9,765,989 times before

When I don't follow those guidelines, I've probably gotten myself into
trouble!

Cheers!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Swingman wrote:

wrote in message

"Registered" refers to parallel sides. Registered chisels are pretty
much always mortice chisels, and the parallel sides keep the chisel
running true.

If there has ever been any other definition than the above, I am unaware of
it.

... then again, that, and three dollars, may get you a cup of coffee these
days.

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

wrote:
Google is your friend...

Until he turns over the results of all of your searching to the
gummit.

Or censors you in China.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"David" wrote in message ...
Swingman wrote:

... then again, that, and three dollars, may get you a cup of coffee

these
days.

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

That's a DeCaf, Mocha Valencia, Vente, at 186 degrees, and hold the whipped
cream.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

David wrote:

... then again, that, and three dollars, may get you a cup of coffee
these
days.

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

It's a "Vento"! Not a large! A large is (holds up little cup) THIS.

er (avoids $tarbuck$, obiously)
--
email
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

I read some where recently that you can ask for the $2.75 drink which by the
way is not listed on their menu. Apparently it is an 8oz drink however it
has the same amount of all the ingredients except less water. Apparently
the difference between the largest and smallest is simply the amount of
water added.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
David wrote:

I have several reasons for posting:

1. to make a funny

Is that allowed in here?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
David writes:
[ nothing, just a subject line ]

A registered chises has a kind of flange at it's tang, just at the
point where the tang enters the handle. This flange (or bolster) is
there to bear the brunt of the axial force exertet on the tang-handle
joint when the chisel is heavily hammered on. Usually there is a
leather washer between this flange and the handle to somewhat dampen
the impact (writing this sentence, i somehow start to question the
logic behind this: Why would you want to lessen the impact of the
hammer to the chisel blade?).
This kind of contruction is most often found in mortice chisels
because they have to take a lot more force than most other chisel
types.

--

This may not be right, but I was always taught that the leather washer was
to help keep the handle from splitting as the chisel was hit. It dampens the

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That doesn't leave much to be said. Time to retire the group, I guess.

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Hmm...I see no reason to revisit topics which have already been
adressed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

You have to put all that crap in it to make Starbucks coffe drinkable.
"David" wrote in message
. ..

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

I have several reasons for posting:

1. to make a funny

Is that allowed in here?

No, but I like breaking the rules.

Dve
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

CW wrote:

You have to put all that crap in it to make Starbucks coffe drinkable.
"David" wrote in message
. ..

$3.75 at starbucks. at least that's what a co-worker spent for carmel
maky adda grande something or other

dave

I'll take your word for that. I've never drunk a cup of coffee! I'll
do iced tea, tea, beer, soda, milk, but NO coffee.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Refering to your earlier thread, I may have missed it but I dont see
LN website refer to those motisers as 'registered' ?

Hey Joe, we moved from registered chisels to Starbucks coffee hours ago.
Getting back on topic is a distraction and is going to confuse everyone..
Prefer tea myself.
Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:45:01 +0000, CW wrote:

That doesn't leave much to be said. Time to retire the group, I guess.

It's probably why we get so few Chinese language posts, eh? :-)

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Aww crap yur right. Ok Kentucky Ice tea for me