Old September 2nd 08, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Sep 1, 2:00*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 1, 12:02 pm, "TWayne" wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:13:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Steve Barker DLT spake thus:
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.
That's probably as good as answer as any (basically, "it's completely
arbitrary, so orient it the way 99% of other outlets are oriented".)
However, there are good reasons to put them in "upside down" (i.e.,
ground pin up). Last time I was in a hospital, I noticed that almost
all the outlets were "upside down", and later heard/read that this
is to prevent sparks and shocks should a metal implement fall down
along the wall and contact a plug in an outlet. Makes sense. I'm
even starting to put in some outlets this way.
Oh, and I've also noticed that having the ground pin on top tends to
hold 3-prong plugs in the outlet more tightly and resist the plug
falling out, like when you're using an extension cord and tug on it.
Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for
ground up on residential.
SAY what? *Please cite section/para. Proposed changes, anything to
verify that from any good source.

*IEEE thinking is ground down, so if it "falls out"the ground is the
last connection to break. *And at work wherever I've worked I've never
noticed plugs installed in any particular orientation. *In fact, that's
where I got my idea to check what's going to plug into it, and orient it
to what the plug might suggest. *Another bldg I saw, they used cable
ties to tie the cord to the conduit so it couldn't be pulled on/out etc.

TIA for the references; it'd be nice if they did settle that out once
and for all,

Twayne- Hide quoted text -

Another bldg I saw, they used cable ties to tie the cord to the
conduit so it couldn't be pulled on/out etc.

Obviously I don't know the specific situation that you speak of, but
this could be a safety issue.

I once got hung up on a 400 VDC power supply and if a co-worker hadn't
been able to unplug it, I wouldn't be posting this right now.

Hi,
400V DC? Is that considered HV? In my working days I sued to deal with
27KV DC. THat is HV! While one is working another guy stands by in case.
That was rule.- Hide quoted text -

400V DC? Is that considered HV?

Hmm....let me look back at my post and see where it was that I called
400V DC "HV"...

Looking...
Looking...
Still looking...
Looking some more...

It seems I'm having a little trouble finding it.

I wonder if that's because I never said, or even implied, that it was
HV.

In my working days I sued to deal with 27KV DC.

You must have really wanted to work with HV if you sued to deal with
it.

While one is working another guy stands by in case

Spent a lot time watching other people work, didn't you?

Old September 2nd 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I installed a GFCI in a bedroom a few years ago and added 3 prong
receptacles down stream in that same room.

This weekend, I was painting another room, whose 2 prong receptacles
are also downstream of the GFCI, so I decided to replace them also.

After reading this thread over the course of the last few days, I
found this interesting, if not a little errie:

The neutral slot on all the receptacles was on the left. In order to
just remove the old receptacles and install the 3 prong ones, without
twisting any wires - just a simple in and out swap - all the grounds
on the 3 prongers ended up - up!
Old September 8th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Harry L posted for all of us...

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:26:24 -0400, Claude Hopper
wrote:

PanHandler wrote:
"john" wrote in message ...
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?
The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Ground down. How often do dropped coins slide down a wall?

Yea, I have a pile of burnt coins on the floor. I'll have to turn my
plugs ground up.

The coins are supposed to go in the fuse box :-)

bwaaaa good one!
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Old January 16th 09, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:

Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for
ground
up on residential.

caution -- that is true for this N hemisphere only.
think coriolis effect guys!
Old January 16th 09, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Think of the instablity of the planet's orbit if we put the
sockets in upside down. Tidal waves, hurricanes, and
thousands could die.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old January 16th 09, 11:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:28:09 -0500, Tman
wrote:

LouB wrote:

Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for
ground
up on residential.

caution -- that is true for this N hemisphere only.
think coriolis effect guys!

Maybe they changed to code again, but as far as I knew it did not
matter which way they were installed. I always put the ground on the
bottom. They just look stupid the other way. They will work either
way. But the code is what dictates....

Jim

Old January 16th 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

LouB wrote:

Ground up is industrial code and this year's revision also calls for
ground
up on residential.

caution -- that is true for this N hemisphere only.
think coriolis effect guys!

Maybe they changed to code again, but as far as I knew it did not
matter which way they were installed. I always put the ground on the
bottom. They just look stupid the other way.

Considering that's the way you're used to, AND NOTHING ELSE?

BTW, I think neckties look stupid, and have more supporting evidence
than that.

Old January 18th 09, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

When my Dad was much younger, he was stringing a bare wire
in the cellar, and dropped it. By friek chance, it fell
across the two blades of a plugged in, ungrounded plug. He
said that really made a memory for him. I wasn't there,
wasn't yet born. But it left a memory for me.

Put the ground at top, it provides some small protection
from the small risk of dropping a metal something across the
energized flat blades.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old May 15th 19, 03:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to N8N, Bob wrote:
All the outlets in my house are ground pin down, and all of the outlets in my
house have the little horizontal bar just below the ground pole broken off,
as I have been replacing them, I put the ground up so that does not happen

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm