Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Apostasy: Texan can't park pickup in driveway

"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...4d8a269.htm l

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s/DN-friscopic
kups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.html

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

Hey, the rules were there when he moved in... I have no compassion for
the snivelers who complain about their HOA's. They get what they signed
on for.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 18, 8:53*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-...
kups_17met.ART0.West.Edition1.4d8a269.html

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

Hey, the rules were there when he moved in... I have no compassion for
the snivelers who complain about their HOA's. They get what they signed
on for.

In many areas it is difficult to find property that isn't subject to a
HOA. Mine being one of them. If you don't like old houses, your
options are very limited. (I don't mind old houses, and also have a
pickup truck...) This was an actual concern when we were looking for
a house as I knew that whatever we bought would be something of a
fixer-upper and was figuring on buying a cheap used pickup to make
getting materials, making dump runs, etc. easier. Fortunately I was
able to find a house that did not have an HOA, and had both a detached
garage and a basement, but it took some looking.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 5:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-...

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...4d8a269.htm l

Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? What makes it
more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? What makes it
more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?

Somebody on the HOA board had one when they were drafting the covenants,
of course...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 2:35*pm, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-...

Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? *What makes it
more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?

Wait, wait, I know this one! It's the same reason that these idjits
think all foreign wine tastes better than domestic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 3:53*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:41:16 -0500, dpb wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? *What makes it
more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?

Somebody on the HOA board had one when they were drafting the covenants,
of course...

This really sounds more like an operational rule than a bylaw or deed
restriction. I bet if you could get 30 people to show up at an annual
meeting you could change it.
I bet the deed restriction only uses language like "work truck" or
"commercial vehicle" and the definition is left up to the board.
In my little HOA we actually killed the deed restrictions altogether,
just by getting enough people to show up. These things usually sunset
if you don't renew them. All you need to do is show up at that meeting
with the votes and let them die. The world is controlled by those who
show up.

Truly excellent advice, and words to live by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:24 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-...

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
Paul MR wrote in
:

Harry K wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:24 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have
a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first
of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways,
including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline
and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't
have a Ford...

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR

Buyer beware. Never buy where there is a HOA. There's the guy who was
told he couldn't fly the US flag in his yard.

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=18093

Those stupid HOAs CAUSE more problems.

If you can see more than two of your neighbors from your house, you live too
close together for my taste. The idea of an HOA makes sense in the city, if
it's condos or the buildings are attached, but not for free-standing
single-family homes. Why on earth does anyone put up with that? My mother's
retirement community calls themselves an HOA, but the residents don't own
the cottages, so it's not like there's much responsibility. They have only a
few "quality of life" rules, and they're very easy to live with
(non-residents must park in vistor parking, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , h wrote:

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
.. .
Paul MR wrote in
:

Harry K wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:24 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Because too many people are "sheeple" that "go along to get along",
especially for rules that offer (even if only by illusion) protection from
downward mobility or lack of upward mobility of the sale price of their
housing units.

So too many people do not resist anal-orifice busybodies when they run
for election to HOA boards or when they do their dirty busybody deeds once
the busybodies get elected.

And so, in some HOA neighborhoods, one cannot do car repairs on one's
own driveway much beyond changing a tire, and in extreme cases one even
cannot engage in a nice good long kiss with a date in front of one's own
front door. And one can get into trouble for painting one's screen door
with the wrong finish-grade of white paint.

- DEon Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote:

Buyer beware. Never buy where there is a HOA. There's the
guy who was told he couldn't fly the US flag in his yard.

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=18093

Those stupid HOAs CAUSE more problems.

I was on the Board of two HOA's and some of the issues
that come up are outright stupid. A guy was building
a brick addition to his house and had gotten the needed
permits from the county. The day the cement truck
pulled up, all Board members were contacted by phone
and we had an emergency meeting. Fortunately cooler
heads prevailed and three of us went to see the guy and
review the builing plans. One of the knee-jerk members
of the Board said he required permission from the Board
in addition to the County.

After wasting a few hours going thru the HOA rules, I
was unable to find such a reg. There was a requirement
that he have the approval of his adjacent neighbors and
sure enough he did because that was also a County
requirement. He was, however, in violation of one HOA
reg as a technicality. Another Board member found that
one of the knee-jerks had a 24x15 work shed built in a
treed area (where it was difficult to see) and said if
this guy can't build his addition, that shed had to go
too. It was a real ****ing contest.

The guy built his addition. But three of us had to
stay on the Board so we could out-vote the knee-jerks.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

One problem you will find with most HOA's is that they refuse the
would be
home buyer a copy of the rules until the closing. I have placed
several bids on
houses part of the bid being subject to having a copy of the home
owners rules
for review. You would be shocked as to how many come back with an
answer that
the HOA doesn't allow the rules to be handed out before closing. Thats
when you
walk away.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul MR" wrote in message

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR

That alone is reason to walk away. I'd never buy a house in a HOA run
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 19, 4:08*am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:

* And so, in some HOA neighborhoods, one cannot do car repairs on one's
own driveway much beyond changing a tire, and in extreme cases one even
cannot engage in a nice good long kiss with a date in front of one's own
front door. *And one can get into trouble for painting one's screen door
with the wrong finish-grade of white paint.

In one apartment complex where I lived, I got in a little tiff with
the management because they had a "no maintenance" rule. Apparently
someone had seen me removing the carburetor from my girlfriend's car
in the parking lot and reported me (I was outside all of five
minutes.) I was then told that "no maintenance" means that the hood
cannot be raised nor can the car be jacked up. period.

The retarded thing was that I know my immediate neighbors did not
report me because they all knew the car (a very distinctive, old car)
and liked it and would come down to chat about old cars if they saw me
with tools.

it was then that I realized that a) I had to move quickly before I
eventually got evicted and b) when I eventually did get financially
able to buy a house I was definitely looking for one that did not fall
under an HOA so I didn't end up in a similar situation.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Paul MR wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR

So you're recommending somebody buy a major investment w/o reading the
conditions associated w/ it????

Hardly wise counsel it would seem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or on the front yard?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
But nobody is telling him he can't park it in the garage, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I once won a good deal of money from a HOA because they kept trying to
enforce restrictions against me. What they didn't know, and were too
lazy to find out, was that of the three sections, two had a clause
that stated "these restrictions will continue for a period of 10 years
from this date and automatically renew unless 60% of the property
owners at the time elect to discontinue them". They thought that
covered all three sections. But my section said "these restrictions
will expire at the end of 10 years from this date and will not renew
unless 60% of the property owners at the time elect to renew them". I
had read that when we bought the property. So, I just let them sue us,
proved our case in court, on the record, and then sued them for
damages and expenses. We got $18,500.00. But more importantly, we
totally ruined that HOA and it disbanded. The property owners,
including all of us in section one got together and reformed the HOA
to our liking and everybody lived happily ever after. At least I guess
the rest of them did. We sold out and moved to the farm. I hate HOA's
and would not live near one. And the irony of it is that now our
daughter runs one in a fairly exclusive neighborhood.

"HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-...

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a
Ford...

If I were him I'd put up a big-ass American flag and big-ass TV
antenna, neither of which are leagal for HOA's to stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a
problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three
notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including
the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/DN-....

Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? *What makes it
more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?

Wait, wait, I know this one! *It's the same reason that these idjits
think all foreign wine tastes better than domestic.

Probably because even though it was built/assembled in Tennessee (like
our 2002 Nissan pickup purchased here in Canada) it has a Japanese
name.

Don't worry when Indian Tata and/or Chines/Korean/Indonesian cheaper
electric cars etc. start appearing on our highways, costing one tenth
in electric fuel than gasoline some idiot/s will try to ban them too!
Bit expensive and limited rang right now; but like computers, VCRs,
DVD players the price will come down and availability increase.

BTW anyone see Jay Leno driving his 1909 electric car. And then the
demonstrator 2008 electric Tesla (partly British Lotus, assembled in
California). More fun than a Miata or an MG; oh gee! Neither of them
are North American either!

To be acceptable in our 'bling' societies things have to be big,
wasteful, polluting, too expensive and showy.

BTW We rented a U-Haul yesterday to bring home some used lumber, now
stacked in our back yard, hauling it behind our used 2006 Nissan
X.Terra.

This fall or next spring an associate is going to 'give' me a 12 by 20
shed that will rebuild in our back yard, hopefully as 14 by 20+ shed.
Already asked the municipality and since it is in our back yard and
does not contravene any street building line, in this town of the Free
and the Brave, the town clerk can approve it without reference to the
town council.

Anyway, got to go; it's beautiful day up here in the 'big' country
(mid 70s) and I have towels and bed sheets in the washer to hang out
on the clothesline. We even hear in this day and age with fuel and
electricity rates rising sharply that in certain places hanging
clothes on outside lines is not allowed! How stupid! Although 99% of
our electrcity is generated here by non polluting water power they dry
nicely and are soft and fluffy dried in the breeze without the use of
'fabric softeners' etc!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:24 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

*- DEon Klipstein )- Hide quoted text -

Interesting story, many years ago, about a guy in UK who was ordered
to paint his somewhat run down house property.

He did. Painting various parts of the house, including the entire in
roof, in vivid in different colours, in stripes, polka dots etc. He
complied with the municipality's order but not quite with the result
they intended.

Also here one resident successfully appealed an order about her
garden; turned out that it really was 'A natural garden' not just an
unkempt one, featuring local and natural plants and bushes.

Not, the unnatural array of Kentucky Blue Grass (Which doesn't grow
well here; is prone to Cinch bug and doesn't survive icy winters as
well as other plants) along with trees and bushes from the big box
stores, some of which are very unsuited to our cool and next to the
North Atlantic climate.

We have grown some 67 trees, some of which, despite the thin soil are
now 35 to 40 feet high, sticking mainly with trees we know are
acclimatised. Our carbon footprint having added all those trees is, we
feel, in the black?

Oh, btw next weekend (depending on the weather!) we are going to put
new brakes on both the Nissans, in our 60 foot long driveway. Most
likely one of the neighbours, seeing us at it, will drop over and lend
a hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote in
:

We have grown some 67 trees, some of which, despite the thin soil are
now 35 to 40 feet high, sticking mainly with trees we know are
acclimatised. Our carbon footprint having added all those trees is, we
feel, in the black?

There are different shades of black. Our footprint is in the carbon black.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote:

"[FRISCO, TX]

Are the HOAs all over the country or just along the Mexican border?

You should check your map. It's at least 450 miles from Frisco, Texas to the
Mexican border. But, yes. HOAs are all over the country. They seem to be in
more recently developed areas. -- Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

Douglas Johnson wrote:
RobertPatrick wrote:

"[FRISCO, TX]

Are the HOAs all over the country or just along the Mexican border?

You should check your map. It's at least 450 miles from Frisco,
Texas to the Mexican border. But, yes. HOAs are all over the
country. They seem to be in more recently developed areas. -- Doug

Right.

El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston. Beaumont is closer
to Florida than it is to El Paso. We have 255 counties, a few larger than
some states.

Texas is big, but also, in many places, sparse. In some areas, you can
travel for hours without seeing a horse, or even a cow.

And innovative. Just this week, a school district in north Texas (Harrold)
passed a resolution allowing its teachers to carry concealed handguns in
their classroom.

First in the nation - that's us!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Texas is big, but also, in many places, sparse. In some areas, you
can travel for hours without seeing a horse, or even a cow.

Drove from Witchita Falls to Lubbock once. After 4 hours of driving,
we saw a tree.

You could have made the trip faster had you not taken the scenic route.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Texas is big, but also, in many places, sparse. In some areas, you can
travel for hours without seeing a horse, or even a cow.

And innovative. Just this week, a school district in north Texas (Harrold)
passed a resolution allowing its teachers to carry concealed handguns in
their classroom.

Just to emphasis both points: Harrold is 30 minutes from the nearest law
enforcement office. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 10:03*am, Douglas Johnson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

Texas is big, but also, in many places, sparse. In some areas, you can
travel for hours without seeing a horse, or even a cow.

And innovative. Just this week, a school district in north Texas (Harrold)
passed a resolution allowing its teachers to carry concealed handguns in
their classroom.

Just to emphasis both points: *Harrold is 30 minutes from the nearest law
enforcement office. *-- Doug

Not at all unusual. We have at least one that far away here in
Whitman Co, Wa and that is in the middle of a agricultural area which
is not all that sparsely settled. In fact in many cases in the middle
of the night I would be lucky to get a deputy to my house withing 30
minutes and I am only 4 miles from the office. Depends on where in
the county the lone deputy on duty happens to be.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Not at all unusual. We have at least one that far away here in
Whitman Co, Wa and that is in the middle of a agricultural area which
is not all that sparsely settled. In fact in many cases in the middle
of the night I would be lucky to get a deputy to my house withing 30
minutes and I am only 4 miles from the office. Depends on where in
the county the lone deputy on duty happens to be.

Ah, yes. I had a client a little southwest of you in Walla Walla. Pretty
country, but there is lots of empty there, too. Texas does not have a monopoly
on empty. We just brag about it more.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 7:33*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Not at all unusual. *We have at least one that far away here in
Whitman Co, Wa and that is in the middle of a agricultural area which
is not all that sparsely settled. *In fact in many cases in the middle
of the night I would be lucky to get a deputy to my house withing 30
minutes and I am only 4 miles from the office. *Depends on where in
the county the lone deputy on duty happens to be.

Ah, yes. *I had a client a little southwest of you in Walla Walla. *Pretty
country, but there is lots of empty there, too. *Texas does not have a monopoly
on empty. *We just brag about it more.
-- Doug

Well, you can claim that _your_ empy is better and bigger

BTW, when I was dispatching up here I discovered that Texas has umpty
jillion 'counties'. Don't recall now for sure but I think I quite
testing the LE system at around 400 counties. I hadn't cottoned to
that when I was down there but did notice the 'entering .... county'
signs appeared rather frequently.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 7:36*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:07:26 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
Just to emphasis both points: *Harrold is 30 minutes from the nearest law
enforcement office. *-- Doug

Not at all unusual. *We have at least one that far away here in
Whitman Co, Wa and that is in the middle of a agricultural area which
is not all that sparsely settled. *In fact in many cases in the middle
of the night I would be lucky to get a deputy to my house withing 30
minutes and I am only 4 miles from the office. *Depends on where in
the county the lone deputy on duty happens to be.

The strange thing is you may actually get better response time out in
the sticks than you do in a big city.

And in the middle of the night you don't have to keep askign how long
it will be, you can hear them coming for miles.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Paul MR wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR

So you're recommending somebody buy a major investment w/o reading the
conditions associated w/ it????

Hardly wise counsel it would seem...

--

Buy? Fie! The obvious advice is to run as fast as possible in the
opposite direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Paul MR wrote:
Harry K wrote:

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have
read the rules first?

Harry K

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two
binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book.
Paul MR

So you're recommending somebody buy a major investment w/o reading the
conditions associated w/ it????

The only time I ever lived in a house governed by an HOA, I had moved
from rural upstate NY to West Palm Beach. I had no idea what an HOA
was, nor was it explained to me before I bought the house. I was told
it was a "planned community" and it did look nicely laid out, so what
the hell. The idea that someone could tell me what kind of car I could
park in my own driveway, what shrubs to plant, what color to paint,
etc. was so foreign to me I never would have thought to ask about it.

I spent a miserable four years there and vowed never again.