Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it okay to put a fridge outside?

I have an old fridge (old like in 1950s-- with a rounded door and
cabinet, and no separate freezer door, the freezer is a compartment
inside the fridge).

It works just fine-- on the warmest setting everything gets very cold
(perhaps 35 degrees) and since that works I haven't tried it on any
other settings.

I use it only a few times a year, when I'm having a barbecue and have
a lot of food and beverages to store.

It occurred to me that instead of keeping it in my basement, where it
takes up space and heats up the basement when I turn it on, I could
simply leave it outside, closer to my grill and where the guests
gather.

But then it'd be outside all winter long also (I could cover it if
need be; it'd be below my deck).

Anybody know if there's any harm in leaving it outside, unplugged,
with the door open?

thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
[...]

Are you in Minnesota, Arizona, or some other extreme climate? You haven't
told us what the outdoor climate is like year-round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:

Anybody know if there's any harm in leaving it outside,
unpluggedwith the door open?

The only problem is a legal issue. Make sure the door
does not lock until you are ready to use it.

For a few years, I was geting fridges and freezers off
FreeCycle.org. Then I purchased a new frig and freezer
and my electric bill dropped $16 per month. NEW means
more efficient.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, the temperature changes (summer, winter) will destroy the door
seals. The outdoor humidity ( especially dew ) could also cause it to
rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
[...]

It's OK, for the time you are using it for your barbecue. After that, it
may be illegal to leave it outside with the door installed in most, if
not all, states. In NYS, it's called an attractive nuisance and is
subject to fines. If some kid locks himself inside and dies, well, you
got a whole lot more problems.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
[...]

I imagine that it would be pretty hard on the cabinet to be exposed to
the elements. Also it could be a liability; I'd bet something that old
would have a positive door latch, you wouldn't want to have a kid end up
locked inside there. (you'd think that that wouldn't happen, but it
must have at least often enough that you'll never find a modern fridge
with a door latch; they're all held shut by the little magnet strips on
the door seals and the fact that you set them up just a hair off level
so that the door swings shut by itself.)

Personally I think you should give it to me for a garage fridge because
I have a serious thing for '50s cool stuff and I'll find you something a
couple decades more modern off Craigslist (can't guarantee it won't
be Harvest Gold though G)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Shaun Eli wrote:
[...]

You wouldn't want it Nate, it's a Mitsubishi fridge. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.
This is more funny than Will and Grace.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Shaun Eli wrote:

[...]

Hey, at least I'm trying to offer some helpful advice, unlike some
people. You're about one post away from plonksville.

Do you deny that Mitsubishi cars are pieces of ****? That's useful
advice, too.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in NY, near NYC, and I guess I could put a chain around the door
so it's effectively locked open and unclosable when I'm not using it.
Plus it'd be in a back yard that's surrounded by a fence. So no more
an attractive nuisance than a pool...

As far as rusting, if it didn't rust for 40 years in the basement,
including during a flood, and if being five feet from the furnace
didn't kill it...

But the problem with mildew could be an issue since the concrete under
the deck does mildew. Maybe I should look into moving it outside only
in the summer.

And Nate, I might take you up on your offer. You can find contact
info for me on my website www.BrainChampagne.com, and I'd be happy to
email photos if you're interested. It's a Hotpoint, white, around
five feet tall or a little shorter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 9:00*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
[...]

It will cost alot to run compared to new units, maybe 75% more, but
who cares about electric costs, we are N. America

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
I'm in NY, near NYC, and I guess I could put a chain around the door
so it's effectively locked open and unclosable when I'm not using it.
Plus it'd be in a back yard that's surrounded by a fence. So no more
an attractive nuisance than a pool...

OK, so the only kids that would possibly get trapped in it would be the
kids of relatives or friends invited to your house. How long can they
live without somebody noticing? 6 minutes? At least they're not kids of
strangers who may sue. You're OK.

As far as rusting, if it didn't rust for 40 years in the basement,
including during a flood, and if being five feet from the furnace
didn't kill it...

But the problem with mildew could be an issue since the concrete under
the deck does mildew. Maybe I should look into moving it outside only
in the summer.

And Nate, I might take you up on your offer. You can find contact
info for me on my website www.BrainChampagne.com, and I'd be happy to
email photos if you're interested. It's a Hotpoint, white, around
five feet tall or a little shorter.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:54:52 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Shaun Eli wrote:
I'm in NY, near NYC, and I guess I could put a chain around the door
so it's effectively locked open and unclosable when I'm not using it.
Plus it'd be in a back yard that's surrounded by a fence. So no more
an attractive nuisance than a pool...

OK, so the only kids that would possibly get trapped in it would be the
kids of relatives or friends invited to your house. How long can they
live without somebody noticing? 6 minutes? At least they're not kids of
strangers who may sue. You're OK.

Why is any more dangerous than if it was in the garage or basement if
these people have the run of the house. In real life I bet most of
these incidents involve empty fridges. The kids would have to take out
all the shelves, bins and a few cases of beer to get in mine.

Kids don't usually hide in closed refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.,
when they are in the house. Maybe you can recall an earlier time in your
life when you were invincible. While playing hide and seek, you find a
refrigerator outside that is empty (after your party, when it may have
been at least partially full). You decide to hide in it. One of your
friends opens the door and finds you in there. Success!
But what of the alternative? Not so successful. If you want to tempt
fate, go for it. Maybe nothing will happen. I hope, I hope.
But, it is your decision. Good luck.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:42:12 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Personally I think you should give it to me for a garage fridge because
I have a serious thing for '50s cool stuff and I'll find you something a
couple decades more modern off Craigslist (can't guarantee it won't
be Harvest Gold though G)

Hey, my whole kitchen is Harvest Gold. If my fridge breaks, I'll have
to find another the same color.

nate

You wouldn't want it Nate, it's a Mitsubishi fridge. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

There were no Mitsubishi fridge's in the 50's, unless your father
brought one home from the war. Maybe a souvenir he took off a
Japanese soldier.

This is more funny than Will and Grace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Why is any more dangerous than if it was in the garage or basement if
these people have the run of the house. In real life I bet most of
these incidents involve empty fridges. The kids would have to take out
all the shelves, bins and a few cases of beer to get in mine.

Thanks for a voice of sanity ;-)

I'm curious as to if it is safe outside where it might get wet. Not that I
plan to put on on my porch mind you, but I am curious about such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
I'm in NY, near NYC, and I guess I could put a chain around the door
so it's effectively locked open and unclosable when I'm not using it.
Plus it'd be in a back yard that's surrounded by a fence. So no more
an attractive nuisance than a pool...

As far as rusting, if it didn't rust for 40 years in the basement,
including during a flood, and if being five feet from the furnace
didn't kill it...

But the problem with mildew could be an issue since the concrete under
the deck does mildew. Maybe I should look into moving it outside only
in the summer.

And Nate, I might take you up on your offer. You can find contact
info for me on my website www.BrainChampagne.com, and I'd be happy to
email photos if you're interested. It's a Hotpoint, white, around
five feet tall or a little shorter.

Dang, NYC is only a couple hours' drive, and I do have the Ugly Truck...

Y'see, it's a sickness, I'm really thinking about it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli
wrote:

[...]

What about rust and vermin? Plus, an outdoor fridge looks like a
hillbilly lives there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Personally I think you should give it to me for a garage fridge because
I have a serious thing for '50s cool stuff and I'll find you something a
couple decades more modern off Craigslist (can't guarantee it won't
be Harvest Gold though G)

Hey, my whole kitchen is Harvest Gold. If my fridge breaks, I'll have
to find another the same color.

Haven't remodeled in a while, eh? (not that there's anything wrong
witht that.) They do still sell appliance epoxy in spray cans in that
color, although you might have to look for it. If the color is a real
deal killer for you, find a buddy with a spray gun... would probably be
better to paint it like a car rather than spray bomb it...

nate

You wouldn't want it Nate, it's a Mitsubishi fridge. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

There were no Mitsubishi fridge's in the 50's, unless your father
brought one home from the war. Maybe a souvenir he took off a
Japanese soldier.

Don't mind him, he's just being a jerk because I asked an honest
question about the quality of Mitsubishi products, seeing as their cars
have been notorious crap for decades. I've already stopped reading his
posts...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT wrote:

People trespassing on my property have as good a chance of being
shot as getting caught in the fridge

You'd shoot a little kid for trespass? What does that make YOU?

A Texan?

I'm a Texan, and I wouldn't shoot a kid for trespassing.

I'm a Texan and trespassing is a civil offense. Usually.

Under our enlightened and benevolent state laws, citizens are not legally
allowed to shoot civil trespassers. Children, who have no criminal capacity,
cannot, by definition, be criminal trespassers. However, they may be up to
something else which renders them eligible for a bullet or two (don't
forget, kids are smaller targets).

You may use deadly force to protect yourself against another's use or
attempted use of unlawful deadly force, to prevent the imminent commission
of kidnapping, murder, rape, or robbery.

You can use deadly force to prevent somebody from committing arson,
burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during
the nighttime.

You can use deadly force to prevent someone from fleeing who has committed
burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
loot.

Note there is no lower (or upper) age limit to the use of deadly force. Kid
or coot, same conditions.

You do get extra points if the offender is of a different race, a prior
felon, or in this country illegally. No extra points for kids and points may
be subtracted if the deceased is in a wheel-chair or otherwise significantly
disabled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:58:38 -0500, CJT wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 01:44:42 -0400, willshak
wrote:

[...]

Since this whole "a kid will get trapped in your fridge" is absurd I
am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

Well, that fact is that kids DO get trapped in old refrigerators. The
rest is details.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:54:10 -0500, CJT wrote:
Well, that fact is that kids DO get trapped in old refrigerators. The
rest is details.

If the fridge is plugged in, the toddler-meat should stay fresh for a good
while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5072.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9619482 60

am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Since this whole "a kid will get trapped in your fridge" is absurd

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5072.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9619482 60

am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

Ok, so a kid gets trapped. Either it was too young to be left unsupervised
or too dumb to live. Either way, give it a Darwin Award and move on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:00*pm, Shaun Eli
wrote:
I have an old fridge (old like in 1950s-- with a rounded door and
cabinet, and no separate freezer door, the freezer is a compartment
inside the fridge).

..any harm in leaving it outside, unplugged,
with the door open?

thanks,

Yes. Unless that door is totally secured open or closed, you would
be very foolish to leave it outside. One kid getting in there and
somehow jamming the door shut and you would be living with that error
for the rest of your life. All it takes is for the kid inside to move
around tip it over on the door locking the kid inside. Leaving it
open with the door secured open is better (I still would not do it)
but then any old bug or animal around could be in there and I don't
think I would want to put any food in there.

BTW extreme cold can be a problem and in some cases not running for
extended periods can result is leaking seals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:07:19 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli
wrote:

It's a Hotpoint, white, around
five feet tall or a little shorter.

Shaun,

Is the inside baked enamel panels or plastic? Just curious!

I've been on a casual search for an old fridge like this with the
baked enamel inside. The metal interior ones make for a good meat
smoker, with just a little diy hacking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Since this whole "a kid will get trapped in your fridge" is absurd

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5072.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9619482 60

am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to
get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

Ok, so a kid gets trapped. Either it was too young to be left
unsupervised
or too dumb to live. Either way, give it a Darwin Award and move on.

I'm sure the judge is going to be mightily impressed with that
defense.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Personally I think you should give it to me for a garage fridge because
I have a serious thing for '50s cool stuff and I'll find you something a
couple decades more modern off Craigslist (can't guarantee it won't
be Harvest Gold though G)

Hey, my whole kitchen is Harvest Gold. If my fridge breaks, I'll have
to find another the same color.

Haven't remodeled in a while, eh? (not that there's anything wrong
witht that.) They do still sell appliance epoxy in spray cans in that
color, although you might have to look for it. If the color is a real
deal killer for you, find a buddy with a spray gun... would probably be
better to paint it like a car rather than spray bomb it...

That's a good thought. I painted the lid of a clothes washer with
epoxee white one time and it seemed hard as the original paint job.
Didn't chip in the 4 years until the main bearings of the agitator
rusted shut. (Didn't use the machine often enough.)

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/20/2008 7:53 PM said the following:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:01:05 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Since this whole "a kid will get trapped in your fridge" is absurd

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5072.html
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9619482 60

am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

--

Bill

IK so you linked a CPSC article about a 1956 law and a 21 year old
accident report involving an abandoned refrigerator. Where is the
article about a suffocation accident involving an "in use"
refrigerator?

Reread the OP's question, especially about the age of the fridge in
question, and that he wanted to leave it outside all year long with the
door open.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 19, 10:48*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
willshak wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Shaun Eli wrote:

[...]

Well, I've owned a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and I
never had any problems with them.

But, I do prefer Honda, and Toyota vehicles.

BTW, Mitsubishi is the big screen TV king!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Since this whole "a kid will get trapped in your fridge" is absurd I
am not sure why you should take it too seriously.
Again, is this kid going to take all the bins and shelves out to get
in? Did he bring tools? That is a pretty sophisticated hide and
seeker.

Sorry that I have to disagree. There are still a lot of old latching units
around and they're still killing kids. Fortunately the Refrigerator Safety
Act which became effective October 30, 1958 requires a mechanism which
enables the door to be opened from the inside in the event of accidental
entrapment. Nowadays, that's just the magnetic gasketing around the edge,
but IIRC children have died inside of those since three year olds are not
very strong and the unit may be lying on its back, with gravity increasing
the force needed to open the door. Children also seem to be fascinated to
see something that's not normally outside the house out where they can play
with it. Recently the local news had something nearly as horrific - two
kids trapped inside a car trunk that had died within yards of their home
with their father discovering their bodies quite accidentally while
newscameras filmed the gruesome discovery. That kind of grief devastates
entire families.

Three youngsters, Anibal Cruz, 11; Daniel Agosto, 6; and Jesstin Pagan, 5,
died in a car trunk in Camden, N.J just a few years ago:.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/05/nyregion/05loss.html

Last summer after 11 children, ages 2 to 6, suffocated in car trunks in
Utah, Pennsylvania and New Mexico the Feds decided to form a commission to
study the problem (which has rapidly overtaken the number of deaths caused
by abandoned refrigerators).

"These deaths are the latest additions to the tragic number of 96 children's
deaths from refrigerator entrapments CPSC has recorded since 1973. Multiple
deaths are common. Six of the 8 deaths in 1983 occurred when two youngsters
died together in the same refrigerator on 3 different occasions."

http://injury.findlaw.com/injury/def.../06/84040.html

That number pales in comparison to pool accidents, another very preventable
form of child death. In the US pool drowning is the second leading cause of
death for children under the age of five. Hundreds of children die every
year due to pool drowning and it's only surpassed by death in motor vehicle
accidents. Most parents whose children died of pool drowning thought at
first that their child is missing and only much later do they realize that
the child drowned in the pool.

In many states, if a child dies in a refrigerator or an unattended pool,
there's both criminal and civil liability. So, even if you believe in
Darwinism, it's not a good idea to leave an old refrigerator out where kids
can get to it. It could cost them their lives and you everything you own
and maybe even your freedom, too.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

stuff snipped

However, they may be up to
something else which renders them eligible for a bullet or two (don't
forget, kids are smaller targets).

Reminds me of that famous line from Full Metal Jacket:

Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?
Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

stuff snipped

However, they may be up to
something else which renders them eligible for a bullet or two
(don't
forget, kids are smaller targets).

Reminds me of that famous line from Full Metal Jacket:

Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?
Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?

FWIW, I heard that one from an A-10 pilot at least three years before
FMJ came out.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The interior seems to be metal.

I wouldn't worry about it breaking from lack of use since I use it, on
average, three days at a time two or three times a year.

But given all the trouble it'd be to chain it open when I'm not using
it, and worrying about how dirty it'd get being outside, plus the
labor involved in hauling it outside, I think I'll just leave it in
the basement. The only reasons I thought about moving it were the
extra heat it adds to the basement when it's on (it's in a small, semi-
enclosed space) and the work involved in carrying beverages outside
and letting them sit in a cooler, vs. being able to keep them in the
fridge until someone wants one.

Thanks, everybody.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:30:57 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli
wrote:

The interior seems to be metal.

I wouldn't worry about it breaking from lack of use since I use it, on
average, three days at a time two or three times a year.

But given all the trouble it'd be to chain it open when I'm not using
it, and worrying about how dirty it'd get being outside, plus the
labor involved in hauling it outside, I think I'll just leave it in
the basement. The only reasons I thought about moving it were the
extra heat it adds to the basement when it's on (it's in a small, semi-
enclosed space) and the work involved in carrying beverages outside
and letting them sit in a cooler, vs. being able to keep them in the
fridge until someone wants one.

Thanks, everybody.

You can always fill a cooler with ice, beer, and pop and set it on the
deck when you have a party. Here in the South I see a lot of
neighbors with refrigerators and freezers in the garage, despite that
can get over 100 degrees in there during July/August.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

I coulda sworn car trunks for last several years had emergency releases
on the inside. Whitish plastic loop thing? Anybody got a recent sedan
to look? (My only car with a trunk is 9 years old.) Of course, that only
does any good if the trapped person is aware of it, and can find it in
the dark.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 21, 8:17*pm, aemeijers wrote:

I coulda sworn car trunks for last several years had emergency releases
on the inside. *Whitish plastic loop thing? Anybody got a recent sedan
to look? (My only car with a trunk is 9 years old.) Of course, that only
does any good if the trapped person is aware of it, and can find it in
the dark.

I've got a '95 Honda and the rod for the latch is exposed on the
inside of the trunk. All you have to do is pull it to open the trunk.

CFL in Fridge Yroc Morf Home Repair 16 September 18th 07 01:16 AM
min-fridge v full-size fridge: which is most efficient? ken UK diy 8 August 4th 07 10:31 AM
RV Fridge? Gunner Metalworking 11 March 22nd 06 05:33 AM
Hotpoint ff93 fridge/freezer - fridge section not working DBridge UK diy 10 December 11th 04 03:49 PM