Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak[_2_] willshak[_2_] is offline

Default Is it okay to put a fridge outside?

wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 00:54:52 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Shaun Eli wrote:
I'm in NY, near NYC, and I guess I could put a chain around the door
so it's effectively locked open and unclosable when I'm not using it.
Plus it'd be in a back yard that's surrounded by a fence. So no more
an attractive nuisance than a pool...

OK, so the only kids that would possibly get trapped in it would be the
kids of relatives or friends invited to your house. How long can they
live without somebody noticing? 6 minutes? At least they're not kids of
strangers who may sue. You're OK.

Why is any more dangerous than if it was in the garage or basement if
these people have the run of the house. In real life I bet most of
these incidents involve empty fridges. The kids would have to take out
all the shelves, bins and a few cases of beer to get in mine.

Kids don't usually hide in closed refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.,
when they are in the house. Maybe you can recall an earlier time in your
life when you were invincible. While playing hide and seek, you find a
refrigerator outside that is empty (after your party, when it may have
been at least partially full). You decide to hide in it. One of your
friends opens the door and finds you in there. Success!
But what of the alternative? Not so successful. If you want to tempt
fate, go for it. Maybe nothing will happen. I hope, I hope.
But, it is your decision. Good luck.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY