Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Is it okay to put a fridge outside?

On Jul 19, 10:00*pm, Shaun Eli
wrote:
I have an old fridge (old like in 1950s-- with a rounded door and
cabinet, and no separate freezer door, the freezer is a compartment
inside the fridge).

..any harm in leaving it outside, unplugged,
with the door open?

thanks,

Yes. Unless that door is totally secured open or closed, you would
be very foolish to leave it outside. One kid getting in there and
somehow jamming the door shut and you would be living with that error
for the rest of your life. All it takes is for the kid inside to move
around tip it over on the door locking the kid inside. Leaving it
open with the door secured open is better (I still would not do it)
but then any old bug or animal around could be in there and I don't
think I would want to put any food in there.

BTW extreme cold can be a problem and in some cases not running for
extended periods can result is leaking seals.