Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shingles curling (upward)

I had a 25 year roof installed after my roof was damaged by hail. The original roof
had been on about 20 years and was in good shape up to the point the hail beat it to
death. This new roof is about 9 years old and I see that its curling (upward) in
various sections on the south face of the roof. The roofers want $5700 to do the
whole roof and $3K to do the curled face about (20' by 20').

Now since there should be another 15 years left on the remaining 3/4s of the roof and
I feel that the $3K is a rip off what I feel I should do is: to re shingle over the
20 by 20 area,,, nailing down the curled corners of the original roof as I shingle my
way up the roof shingling right over the existing roof. At $20 per bundle I could do
the four square for about $240 bux.

I reason that it's not good practice to shingle over shingles but I have seen lots
and lots of roofs shingled over shingles and since I'll have to do the rest of the
roof in about 15 years, these need only last that 15 years. Doing it this way also
allows me to do the roof at a leisurely pace. (I'm old and heavy) [yes,,,,fat!]

What do you think? Does the plan hold water? (No pun)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
This should be covered under warrantee. Are there attic ventilation or
decking issues that contributed to the failure? Will the repair fail
prematurely for the same reason?

Shingle warranties are prorated and a total joke. The manufacturer
always comes up with an unproveable excuse as to why they will not
honor the warranty... improper installation is their favorite. They
always end up telling you to go **** up a flagpole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:35:08 -0400, Sid Carrol
wrote:

[...]

Yeah - south side failure, I'm thinking attic ventilation issues, too.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I hear you (re ventilation) and everyone else. The thing is that the old roof
was going strong at about 20 years when the hail killed it. Same conditions
for this new roof and it dies in about 10 One of the funny things about what's
happening is for instance: the shingles on the roof overhang on the south east
gable end are the worst and you would think that that overhang would be
vented better any of the rest of the roof. ?? The other funny thing is that the
curled shingles seem to be in rectangular patches inter dispersed all over.

So far as the warrenty??? Well we are pretty open about our affairs and
have all to frequently loaned our roof file out to one or the other of our
neighbours to help them plan. Long story short, when we needed our
roof file it wasn't there. The roofer we used has amnesia and the insurance
company does not have their records. Totally our fault!

Will it fail again?? Probably yes but by then the whole roof will be at the
end of it's useful end.

Back to the plan!! Anyone see any problems in what I propose to do??

BTW One of the roofer's guides says that curling up is a sign of excess moisture.????

)
Posted to alt.home.repair

They arent Certainteed shingles are they?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...243518283.html

Unfortunately, I think its too late to get any of the settlement money
from the class action lawsuit.

-dickm

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sid Carrol wrote:

[...]

When we had problems with our condo roof, I did lots of research on the
product and
methods. Ours, Elk, at the time had a pro-rated replacement value based
on age of the
roof. You may be able to get some help if you know the product used and
have the paperwork.
Elk had the info online.

How's your attic ventillation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sid,

You have my sympathy but without your file you do not have a warranty and
you don't have any idea how many layers of shingles are already on the roof.
I'm afraid that tossing on another layer of shingles may lead to a roof
collapse. You also don't seem to have any plan for addressing the curling,
which may be a symptom of a problem with your roof deck.
Go bug the neighbors to try to find the roof file. Look for your
cancelled check, that will give you the roofer's name. He should be able to
tell you based on the price whether he tore off the old shingles. If you
can't find any records I think you need to do a tear off. That will be a big
job.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boy, I'd love to see how that comes out. 25 year shingles don't
last 25 years, it is a way to compare general quality levels.
Some will last 30, some won't make 10. A manufacturer's warranty
only covers the cost of the shingles and I've never known of them
paying off. If they were to pay off, it would be on a prorated
basis at best. It would be a rare roofer that will remove and
replace as a warranty item.

I suppose some people solve all their problems by calling the
lawyer. I've not known it to work often, if ever. Your mileage
might vary.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?" wrote
in message ...
Sid Carrol wrote:
[...]

25 years shingles will not curl in 9 years. You have been
defrauded and should seek a lawyer if the installers don't make
good on it.

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sid Carrol wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't want two layers of shingles, but I'm not the one doing the
work )
Neither do I know the going rate for the work you need......I assume you
have
gotten more than one bid?!! If ventillation is part of the problem, you
will only
add to it by putting on another layer of roofing. If you are able to
tear off the old
stuff, you could certainly do it in stages and "blue tarp" it or get
together some
neighbors to help (or hire a roofer who moonlights). The side of the
roof getting
less sun might last 15 years longer than expected. During a long, tedious
process of getting our condo roof problems resolved, I kept bugging my
husband
and one interested neighbor about the ventillation. They both kept
telling me the
vents were adequate until they got tired of my bitching and decided to
check.
Someone had stuffed fiberglass insul. into the roof vent. Probably to keep
rats out )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/20/08 06:58 am JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

This should be covered under warrantee. Are there attic ventilation or
decking issues that contributed to the failure? Will the repair fail
prematurely for the same reason?

So if I replace the shingles on the roof of my unventilated shed, any
stated warranty on the replacement shingles is meaningless/worthless?

Maybe. But it's a shed. What will it need? Two or three bundles of shingles?
If you'd waste time chasing a warranty for that kind of money, your time's
not worth much.

I simply meant that, since the shed is unventilated, the shingles
probably will not last as long as advertised.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
:

On 06/20/08 06:58 am JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

This should be covered under warrantee. Are there attic ventilation
or decking issues that contributed to the failure? Will the repair
fail prematurely for the same reason?

So if I replace the shingles on the roof of my unventilated shed,
any stated warranty on the replacement shingles is
meaningless/worthless?

Maybe. But it's a shed. What will it need? Two or three bundles of
shingles? If you'd waste time chasing a warranty for that kind of
money, your time's not worth much.

I simply meant that, since the shed is unventilated, the shingles
probably will not last as long as advertised.

Perce

Again, it's a shed. It's not living space is the way it's viewed. It is
what it is.