Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Shingles curling (upward)

Boy, I'd love to see how that comes out. 25 year shingles don't
last 25 years, it is a way to compare general quality levels.
Some will last 30, some won't make 10. A manufacturer's warranty
only covers the cost of the shingles and I've never known of them
paying off. If they were to pay off, it would be on a prorated
basis at best. It would be a rare roofer that will remove and
replace as a warranty item.

I suppose some people solve all their problems by calling the
lawyer. I've not known it to work often, if ever. Your mileage
might vary.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?" wrote
in message ...
Sid Carrol wrote:
I had a 25 year roof installed after my roof was damaged by
hail. The original roof
had been on about 20 years and was in good shape up to the
point the hail beat it to
death. This new roof is about 9 years old and I see that its
curling (upward) in
various sections on the south face of the roof. The roofers
want $5700 to do the
whole roof and $3K to do the curled face about (20' by 20').

Now since there should be another 15 years left on the
remaining 3/4s of the roof and
I feel that the $3K is a rip off what I feel I should do is: to
re shingle over the
20 by 20 area,,, nailing down the curled corners of the
original roof as I shingle my
way up the roof shingling right over the existing roof. At $20
per bundle I could do
the four square for about $240 bux.

I reason that it's not good practice to shingle over shingles
but I have seen lots
and lots of roofs shingled over shingles and since I'll have to
do the rest of the
roof in about 15 years, these need only last that 15 years.
Doing it this way also
allows me to do the roof at a leisurely pace. (I'm old and
heavy) [yes,,,,fat!]

What do you think? Does the plan hold water? (No pun)

25 years shingles will not curl in 9 years. You have been
defrauded and should seek a lawyer if the installers don't make
good on it.

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥