Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Shingles curling (upward)

Sid Carrol wrote:

I had a 25 year roof installed after my roof was damaged by hail. The
original roof
had been on about 20 years and was in good shape up to the point the
hail beat it to
death. This new roof is about 9 years old and I see that its curling
(upward) in
various sections on the south face of the roof. The roofers want $5700
to do the
whole roof and $3K to do the curled face about (20' by 20').

Now since there should be another 15 years left on the remaining 3/4s
of the roof and
I feel that the $3K is a rip off what I feel I should do is: to re
shingle over the
20 by 20 area,,, nailing down the curled corners of the original roof
as I shingle my
way up the roof shingling right over the existing roof. At $20 per
bundle I could do
the four square for about $240 bux.

I reason that it's not good practice to shingle over shingles but I
have seen lots
and lots of roofs shingled over shingles and since I'll have to do the
rest of the
roof in about 15 years, these need only last that 15 years. Doing it
this way also
allows me to do the roof at a leisurely pace. (I'm old and heavy)
[yes,,,,fat!]

What do you think? Does the plan hold water? (No pun)

When we had problems with our condo roof, I did lots of research on the
product and
methods. Ours, Elk, at the time had a pro-rated replacement value based
on age of the
roof. You may be able to get some help if you know the product used and
have the paperwork.
Elk had the info online.

How's your attic ventillation?