Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Purchasing a circular saw

I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells and
whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote in message
I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle
of the road quality model. I like to purchase good quality
items that with proper care and maintenance will last a
long long time.

My FIL bought all three of his son-in-laws the DeWalt DW364.
It's a lot of saw. Hopefully it's what you're looking for.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=245

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:

Bob wrote in message

I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle
of the road quality model. I like to purchase good quality
items that with proper care and maintenance will last a
long long time.

My FIL bought all three of his son-in-laws the DeWalt DW364.
It's a lot of saw. Hopefully it's what you're looking for.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=245

The Ranger

I have two, Milwaukee and Dewalt both with brakes. Probably it'll last
my life time and kids will inherit them. I have spare trigger switches
because brake is hard on switch(arcs). My idea of tools, buy the best
you can afford, keep it long time and you'll swear less as well when
you're using them, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 21, 7:09*pm, "Bob" wrote:
I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells and
whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

It's all personal preference. I've owned many and used other people's
saws and I prefer my Porter Cable to any of them.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells and
whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Regardless of brand, get one where you can see the blade without leaning
over the saw. My cordless Makita is like that and that feature is a
must-have. (for a right-handed user, the blade is to the left of the motor)
I don't know why other saws don't do this. Some do, but all should.

Consider a cordless too, as they are much lighter. More expensive, but
easier to maneuver. I have both, and the corded unit hardly gets used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote in message
. ..
[snip]
Consider a cordless too, as they are much lighter. More
expensive, but easier to maneuver. I have
both, and the corded unit hardly gets used.

If my drills are any indication, this is a true paradigm... I
just never thought about it with any of my other hand-helds.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 4:53*am, wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 21:52:31 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't even consider a cordless circular saw unless I had to work
in a building without electricity. *If you're working mostly on your
home, you have electric (unless you forgot to pay the electric bill).
Cordless tools have their place and cordless drills are pretty handy,
until the battery goes dead, and at that point they become something I
feel like tossing in the garbage. *It never fails, I get up on a roof
to screw on some roofing steel, and the battery goes dead. *Then I
wait 3 hours for the thing to charge again. *Yeah, I have 2 batteries,
but they dont last long when you're driving 40 or 50 screws per sheet.
As the battery weakens, the screws dont go down tight, so I have to
check all of them with a nutdriver. *

I finally bought a corded screwgun. *Now I can stay on the roof and
keep working. *It takes a few extra minutes to run the cord, but my
productivity trippled, and I've not had any roof leaks due to screws
that did not get driven in fully. *My cordless drill worked great when
I had to fix my mailbox post, which is a long ways from an outlet.

I just cant imagine using a battery powered circular saw to cut a 2
inch thick hardwood plank, or even a softwood 2x12. *A circular saw
demands much more power than a drill. *Stopping in the middle of a cut
or coping with a blade slowing down as the battery dies, is not
anything I'd want to cope with. *Then too, consider the cost of the
batteries. *Just like ink for inkjet printers, it's often cheaper to
buy a whole new printer, and the same is true of most cordless tools.

Take the extra 5 minutes to string an extension cord, and forget about
all the battery charging and expensive batt replacements. *The only
drawback to a corded saw is whne you cut off the cord. *It's not IF
you cut it off, it's WHEN. *Sooner or later everyone does it.- Hide quoted text -

I own and use both -- corded circular saw (Porter-Cable) and cordless
(DeWalt).

The corded saw is better for most uses -- mainly because it is more
powerful and runs at constant speed. However, there's nothing like
the cordless when I need to make a quick cut and the corded saw is
still on the truck -- just grab the cordless, make the cut, and be
done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 7:09*pm, "Bob" wrote:
I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells and
whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Id put B&D and Skill at the bottom, unless its the worm drive, get one
with a lazer, HDs Ridgid brand has lifetime warranty, buy 120v not
battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, corded saws and drills are better for a long project. But for a
quick job I grab cordless.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the
road quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with
proper care and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells
and whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Monitor Craigslist for a couple of weeks. It's easy to find a 20-year old
Craftsman for $10.00 (if it's lasted twenty years, it'll probably last
another twenty).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:09:04 -0700, Bob wrote:

I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the
road quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with
proper care and maintenance will last a long long time.

I am just an average do-it-yourselfer so nothing with all the bells and
whistles is needed.

Any recommendations as to brand/model/features/durability/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Get one with an electric brake. When you release the power switch, the
blade stops quickly. Also find one comfortable to hold and use. Some
saws are awkward.

Buy the best you can afford and be happy. Inferior tools don't last and
soon become a pain to use. Working with tools should be enjoyable and
not tedious.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
news
[...]

Instead of getting one that will last a long time, for a few bucks more you
can get one that last a couple of lifetimes with proper care and
maintenance. I have a DeWalt, among others, that I really like EXCEPT for
the shoe. Whoever designed that thing probably had never used a saw in their
lives. Hint, get a saw with a FLAT shoe, no ridges on the bottom.

--
I'm JC and I approved this message.

http://www.reason.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

done with it.- Hide quoted text -

That is the post I was going to write, except that I would have added
that I'm right-handed and my Porter-Cable is a left blade saw. Being
able to see the cut-line without leaning over the saw is really nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I just cant imagine using a battery powered circular saw to cut a 2
inch thick hardwood plank, or even a softwood 2x12. A circular saw
demands much more power than a drill. Stopping in the middle of a cut
or coping with a blade slowing down as the battery dies, is not
anything I'd want to cope with. Then too, consider the cost of the

Maybe for you, but for me as a homeowner (and the OP), cordless
drills/circular saws/sawzalls etc are just fine. Mine are the Makita 18v
lithium-ion series so battery power isn't a concern. Hasn't been in the
past three years anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second that. Cordless is great for small repair jobs or where you
only have one or two cuts to make or holes to drill, and stringing a
cord would be a pain. But when you are doing production work, esp in
thick or hard material, corded is definitely the way to go. Love my
cordless drill, but if I'm screwing down deck boards or the like, it
gets tired real fast. Never bothered to buy a cordless saw, since I
don't do field work any more. Anything I work on any more, there is an
outlet within 50 feet of where it is flat enough to set up sawhorses.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:
wrote in message

I just cant imagine using a battery powered circular saw to cut a 2
inch thick hardwood plank, or even a softwood 2x12. A circular saw
demands much more power than a drill. Stopping in the middle of a cut
or coping with a blade slowing down as the battery dies, is not
anything I'd want to cope with. Then too, consider the cost of the

Maybe for you, but for me as a homeowner (and the OP), cordless
drills/circular saws/sawzalls etc are just fine. Mine are the Makita
18v lithium-ion series so battery power isn't a concern. Hasn't been in
the past three years anyhow.

Hmmm,
So how many 2x4 lumber can a cordless saw cut? Spend time swapping
battery or working?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maybe for you, but for me as a homeowner (and the OP), cordless
drills/circular saws/sawzalls etc are just fine. Mine are the Makita 18v
lithium-ion series so battery power isn't a concern. Hasn't been in the
past three years anyhow.

Hmmm,
So how many 2x4 lumber can a cordless saw cut? Spend time swapping battery
or working?

Don't know, don't care. I make a few cuts with the cordless sawzall or
circular saw and the job is done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I would try to buy something with two sealed ball or roller bearings
(one at each end of the shaft) because sleeve bearings wear out much
faster. If you push and pull on the blade bolt and feel any play,
then the saw has only sleeve bearings. It seems that saws with ball/
roller bearings start at around $90-100, but Sears used to have one
for just $75.

Try holding the saw horizontally and vertically to feel how
comfortable it will be. Also do this with the blade at 45 degrees
because some saws become awkward to hold or will even pinch your hand
then.

I'd avoid cordless, unless you have to work where there's no AC power
or in a moist environment. A very good corded tool often costs less
than a so-so cordless, and you don't have to fuss with batteries. I
have only one cordless tool, an 18V Ryobi drill, bought for $40 on
close-out at Home Depot, with two batteries, but I use my corded drill
a lot more.

The $99 Home Depot Ridgid circular saw is supposedly very good and has
a lifetime warranty.