Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Purchasing green (wet) lumber

I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

46¢ a board foot? Sure does to me.

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Rule of thumb is 1 year per inch of thickness but I've never done it myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jul 2006 12:45:20 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

Depends on the size of the boards. If they're useful, then it would be a
good deal by my local prices. Ash is quite easy to buy - not many
fauls, and they're usually obvious.

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Sticker it carefully, then it'll probably be ready before you are. Ash
is famously "dry off the tree" and many of the interesting uses for ash
(particularly steam bending) are best done green anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
: I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
: met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
: sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
: knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

: 1. Does this sound like a good deal?

Yes!

: 2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Stack and sticker it -- stickers every foot or so. This lets air circulate
evenly around the boards so you don't get warpage.

Are the ends sealed (with glue, or Anchorseal)? If not, get
some and seal ASAP -- this will decrease end checking.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some green woods will dry too fast indoors and will check and split. It is
usually better to sticker the wood outdoors first with a cover that keeps
direct rain off of it for a few months or so. The recommended time depends
on speicies and thickness. I am sure that there will be good information on
air drying your lumber if you DAGS. Then move it indoors, again stickering
it to air dry.

Preston

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

Sounds familar.

You in Ohio by chance?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Mike wrote:
I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

Sounds familar.

You in Ohio by chance?

Lew

I'm in PA. The Amish mill that I go to is just into NY - in a tiny town
called Clymer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jul 2006 12:45:20 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

Thanks,

Mike

Your end use/species is a bit different than mine but I believe there
are some common issues.

I build stairs and always require that I do the framing. I usually use
full thickness 2x12 hemlock...what most ppl know as Staging Planks. I
buy 2-3000/lin/feet at one time and it is always green...very green.
I first sticker it outside under cover (I have a shed without
walls...a roof over a slab basically). I sticker it every 24 inches or
so and put 5gal buckets filled with concrete on the top layer.
After about 4-6 months I move it inside and sticker it again the same
way. After 3-4 months inside I can use it w/o too much concern over
shrink/warp.

Good Lucj,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I
met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would
sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some
knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.

1. Does this sound like a good deal?

2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ and go through a few of the many you will turn
up when you search for "air drying" or "stacking green lumber."

Inch per year is for open storage. Ash is usually less than 50% MC off the
log, and should be ready for indoors at 20% by the end of September.

White ash is pretty nice to work with, certainly worth the money.