Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Purchasing a new ROS

My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay
the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody
with experience with this tool? Advise?
Roger

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roger Woehl wrote:
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay
the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody
with experience with this tool? Advise?

One of the FWW articles (maybe a tools and shops issue?) tested 5" ROS
for speed of stock removal, vibration, evenness of scratch pattern, etc.

You might want to dig up that article.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

..
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years.

I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool

ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense?

Can't comment on Festool, but suggest you consider a 6" unit as a
minimum.

I have beat the crap out of a 3727 Bosch, had a couple stolen and next
time would look at an 8" unit.

Just for reference:

36/25 = 1.44 or 144%

IOW, a 6" unit provides 144% as much sanding area as a 5" unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years.

I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool

ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense?

Can't comment on Festool, but suggest you consider a 6" unit as a
minimum.

I have beat the crap out of a 3727 Bosch, had a couple stolen and next
time would look at an 8" unit.

Just for reference:

36/25 = 1.44 or 144%

IOW, a 6" unit provides 144% as much sanding area as a 5" unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Good advice, bad math g

pi r sq=

5" 15.625 sq in
6" 28.26 sq in
= 180.8% more sanding pad area.

hagd,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10
years. I have been watching the Festool conversations and wonder
about the Festool ets 125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense?

Can't comment on Festool, but suggest you consider a 6" unit as a
minimum.

I have beat the crap out of a 3727 Bosch, had a couple stolen and
next time would look at an 8" unit.

Just for reference:

36/25 = 1.44 or 144%

IOW, a 6" unit provides 144% as much sanding area as a 5" unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Good advice, bad math g

pi r sq=

5" 15.625 sq in
6" 28.26 sq in
= 180.8% more sanding pad area.

Good math actually. 5" 19.63

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
[...]

( psssssst...oops, Joe. You may have had a slip of the keyboard, but
think of the bright side, you have made somebody's day, because some
of our illustrious members lie in the bushes all day waiting for
somebody to make a typo so they can show off their artificial and
shallow brilliance...G)

IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts
the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet,
which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the
same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!

G (I get 19.64, not 19.63 because I use metric roundovers @ -5-
degrees C)....LOL)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*wanders off to have yet another productive day.*
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
[...]

LMAO! I guess I'll make a mental note not to do corrective math pre-coffee.

*wanders off wondering what the diameter of the dust holes are and cursing
j.clarke for making him think of such things......*

;-),

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Woehl" wrote in message
. ..
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I
have been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool
ets 125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and
will pay the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they
are. Anybody with experience with this tool? Advise?
Roger

I have been in the middle of the discussions and can offer you this. My PC
sander still works well after a few parts replacements and it is about 17
years old. It is however the right angle 2 hand variety ROS.

5" vs. 6" I have the 5" and will more than likely get the 5" again.
The advantage of the 6" over the 5" is that it covers more area but with
1/2" more reach in the direction that you are moving and IMHO this is not a
big advantage unless you are working on wide open and large spaces.
The advantages of the 5" are that the sander itself tends to be physically
smaller and will get into tighter spaces. Not as limited to the places that
you can use it, if you will. And, naturally the paper will be cheaper.

Now if you want a comparison of Festool Sanders, click here,
http://festoolusa.com/Web_files/Gett...ol_sanders.pdf

Probably more than you need to know but may want to know. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
. net...

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
[...]

Damn, another errror. I was supposed to be cursing Rob.... when will it
end??????

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Woehl" wrote:

.
[...]

hehehehe... here's one to keep you busy..the Rotex 150, has one hole
in the pad of a slightly larger dimension that the 8 holes elsewhere
in the pad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 8:57*am, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Now if you want a comparison of Festool Sanders, click here,http://festoolusa.com/Web_files/Gett...estool_sanders...

Probably more than you need to know but may want to know. *;~)

That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.

The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat.
(Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote:
Good advice, bad math g

pi r sq=

5" 15.625 sq in
6" 28.26 sq in
= 180.8% more sanding pad area.

When it comes to math, I'm lazy.

If you want to compare the area of two circles, consider the
following:

Area of circle = (Pi)(r^2) = (Pi)(d^2)/4

Area1/Area2 = ((Pi)(d1^2)/4)/((Pi)(d2^2)/4) = d1^2/d2^2

The value of Pi never enters into the calculation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

The advantages of the 5" are that the sander itself tends to be

physically
smaller and will get into tighter spaces.

If you use a round ROS sander, you still need a detail sander to get
into the corners, so the 5 vs 6 issue becomes moot.

Sanding is not my favorite pastime, the quicker it gets done, the
better I like it.

So for people like me, bigger is better.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 6:14 am, "Joe" wrote:

IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts
the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet,
which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the
same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!

G (I get 19.64, not 19.63 because I use metric roundovers @ -5-
degrees C)....LOL)
..

ROTFLMAO AND if you have no overlapping passes of the sander. Wasted
over sanding on overlapped passes deduct form productivity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.

The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat.
(Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)

Percicely! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

The advantages of the 5" are that the sander itself tends to be

physically
smaller and will get into tighter spaces.

If you use a round ROS sander, you still need a detail sander to get
into the corners, so the 5 vs 6 issue becomes moot.

Absolutely correct and that is why I do have a a square finish and detail
sander for the corners. But the 5" will be easier to balance when sanding
the edge of 3/4" thick stock, which I very often do when building face
frames.
Simply put, the smaller sanders are easier to control on any aspect of
sanding face frames, and or IMHO the larger sanders don't save enough time
on a 6 square foot surface to warrent over a smaller sander that works
better on smaller pieces.

Sanding is not my favorite pastime, the quicker it gets done, the
better I like it.

At one time I hated sanding but with better equipment I have learned to
"enjoy?" it more. LOL

So for people like me, bigger is better.

Absolutley, and if your surfaces are larger it just makes more sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

When it comes to math, I'm lazy.

Area1/Area2 = ((Pi)(d1^2)/4)/((Pi)(d2^2)/4) = d1^2/d2^2

ROFL - I love it. Thanks lew.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:28:40 -0800, "Roger Woehl"
wrote:

My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay
the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody
with experience with this tool? Advise?
Roger

Personally, I'd buy another PC. Festool is quality stuff but PC is
not bad at all. In 10 more years I can replace it again and still
havn't spent $165. Now if you invest the extra $100 in the S&P500 (an
even better buy right now) you'll have $260 in 10 years which means
you got the PC for free plus an extra bonus of $100.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. *I have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool *ets
125 eq 5" at $165. *Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay
the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody
with experience with this tool? Advise?
Roger

Personally, I'd buy another PC. *Festool is quality stuff but PC is
not bad at all. *In 10 more years I can replace it again and still
havn't spent $165. *Now if you invest the extra $100 in the S&P500 (an
even better buy right now) you'll have $260 in 10 years which means
you got the PC for free plus an extra bonus of $100.

Problem is, you won't get a replacement like your old one. PC's ain't
the same no mo'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roger Woehl wrote:
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I
have been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the
Festool ets 125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good
tools and will pay the price if they truly are as good as the
grapevine says they are. Anybody with experience with this tool?
Advise? Roger

None with the Festool but at Christmas I received a 6inch Ridgid, lifetime
warrantee, good dust collection with just the bag, variable speed, two modes
etc....no complaints.....incidentally when my old 5inch Ryobi dies I'll
replace it as well (probably with a 5inch Ridgid) as its very handy having
more than one grit always ready....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I
have
been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets
125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will
pay
the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are.
Anybody
with experience with this tool? Advise?
Roger

Personally, I'd buy another PC. Festool is quality stuff but PC is
not bad at all. In 10 more years I can replace it again and still
havn't spent $165. Now if you invest the extra $100 in the S&P500 (an
even better buy right now) you'll have $260 in 10 years which means
you got the PC for free plus an extra bonus of $100.

PC was good, not so much anymore. I had total respect for the brand but my
NEW, 2 years ago, replacement SpeedBloc that replaced the SpeedBloc in 1990
is not equal IMHO. Pretty good but not as good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bigpole" wrote in message
I have both of those sanders. The PC sits in a drawer. My hand doesn't
tingle after I use the Festool like it did when I uses the PC. I like that
I can set the Festool down right away, not like the PC where you have to
wait forever for it to stop spinning. The only problem I had with the
Festool was when they came out with a new hole pattern they supplied me
with a new pad, well that pad's hook and loop wouldn't hold the sandpaper
after a short time of sanding. Festool would not replace the pad. I drilled
new holes in the old pad and I'm still using it.

I wonder if the new pad works better with perhaps the new paper also. Are
you still using paper that you originally had? Perhaps, there are new pads
and new paper to stick to it.
Just a thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 6:26*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Bigpole" wrote in message

I have both of those sanders. The PC sits in a drawer. My hand doesn't
tingle after I use the Festool like it did when I uses the PC. I like that
I can set the Festool down right away, not like the PC where you have to
wait forever for it to stop spinning. The only problem I had with the
Festool was when they came out with a new hole pattern they supplied me
with a new pad, well that pad's hook and loop wouldn't hold the sandpaper
after a short time of sanding. Festool would not replace the pad. I drilled
new holes in the old pad and I'm still using it.

I wonder if the new pad works better with perhaps the new paper also. *Are
you still using paper that you originally had? *Perhaps, there are new pads
and new paper to stick to it.
Just a thought.

Velcro, hook 'n loop from all kinds of manufacturers, are not all
created equal and seemingly even incompatible sometimes. Yet another
reason I like Mirka products. But, having said that, I have a Quad
sander that uses 5" Klingspor paper that sticks incredibly well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:14:04 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

Velcro, hook 'n loop from all kinds of manufacturers, are not all
created equal and seemingly even incompatible sometimes. Yet another
reason I like Mirka products. But, having said that, I have a Quad
sander that uses 5" Klingspor paper that sticks incredibly well.

Funny you should mention that...
I got a package from Klingspor yesterday, 2 new 2" H&L mandrels and a bunch of
disks..
The disks keep coming off when I sand bowls.. I thought it was my technique, but
that's impossible, right? ;-]
I played around a bit and my normal ripple-edge disks work fine with the
Klingspor mandrels..
Being in a weird sort of mood, I tried the Klingspor disks on an old (not
klingspor) mandrel, and they worked great..

I never considered "non-compatible H&L" until your post..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 10:26*pm, "Roger Woehl" wrote:
Gee Thanks. You all covered that area squarely. *The advise was truly
formulaic mixed with some unique symbolism. I enjoyed it over some pi.
Roger

....the kind of thing you can expect when a circle of friends is drawn
together.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 10:26 pm, "Roger Woehl" wrote:
Gee Thanks. You all covered that area squarely. The advise was truly
formulaic mixed with some unique symbolism. I enjoyed it over some pi.
Roger

.....the kind of thing you can expect when a circle of friends is drawn
together.

Regardless of how abrasive some might be......

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:41:11 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 10:26 pm, "Roger Woehl" wrote:
Gee Thanks. You all covered that area squarely. The advise was truly
formulaic mixed with some unique symbolism. I enjoyed it over some pi.
Roger

....the kind of thing you can expect when a circle of friends is drawn
together.

Regardless of how abrasive some might be......

Showing your true grit now?