Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Purchasing a circular saw

Bob wrote:

I need to purchase a circular saw. I just need a basic middle of the road
quality model. I like to purchase good quality items that with proper care
and maintenance will last a long long time.

I would try to buy something with two sealed ball or roller bearings
(one at each end of the shaft) because sleeve bearings wear out much
faster. If you push and pull on the blade bolt and feel any play,
then the saw has only sleeve bearings. It seems that saws with ball/
roller bearings start at around $90-100, but Sears used to have one
for just $75.

Try holding the saw horizontally and vertically to feel how
comfortable it will be. Also do this with the blade at 45 degrees
because some saws become awkward to hold or will even pinch your hand
then.

I'd avoid cordless, unless you have to work where there's no AC power
or in a moist environment. A very good corded tool often costs less
than a so-so cordless, and you don't have to fuss with batteries. I
have only one cordless tool, an 18V Ryobi drill, bought for $40 on
close-out at Home Depot, with two batteries, but I use my corded drill
a lot more.

The $99 Home Depot Ridgid circular saw is supposedly very good and has
a lifetime warranty.