Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding roof fan

I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some
help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.

I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.

Is there a template in the box for the hole size?
I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

Garage size is 26 X 30 ft.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some
help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.

I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.

Is there a template in the box for the hole size?

Proably, but t hings like that can vary between brands.

I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

Depends. If fairly new, no problem. If older, they will break when you take
them off. Thee is always risk in projects with re-use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Broan has a selection of roof and gable fans that come with templates.
Here's an installation manual off their website for one of their roof
fans:
http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/br...s/99043055.pdf

You do not need to reuse any shingles, but you do have to cut some out
and loosen some up and remove some nails in order to slide the fan
flashing underneath. This is done by lifting the edge of the roof
( which if the roof is old you might break the shingle) so you can
expose the nail, then you remove the nail with a small crowbar or
similiar tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Raleigh_3_Speed wrote in news:343e47bd-c12f-4e84-
:

I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some
help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.

I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.

Is there a template in the box for the hole size?
I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

Garage size is 26 X 30 ft.

Thanks.

remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

As said, if are old and dried out they will most likely break.

- Should you go ahead with this, do it when the sun has been hitting the
shingles for some time so they are soft.

- losen the sealing tab by wedging a putty knife in.

- removing a shingle requires you to remove the nails from the row above
that and the 2nd row above it. The upper edge for the one you are trying
to remove is caught by that 2nd row above. You don't actually have to
remove the shingles above, just get the nails out.

- For removing the nails many people use various flat bars. But the thing
I have found works best for me with the least chance of shingle damage
is....a short handle shingle rake. Nice and flat. Many teeth. Prys at
teeth by pushing down at entry point so you are not bending the heck out
of the shingle you are trying to remove.

Renailing without a roofing nailer can be tricky. Shingles can get
damaged.

- Put roofing cement over all old holes and new ones since you're at it.
Also put roofing cement where the old sealing tabs are/were.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a pretty good video on how to install a roof vent. Although
this is for a bathroom vent, the principle is the same for an attic
vent. You get to see how to slide the vent under the shingles.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gee3itzjOG0

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some
help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.

I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.

Is there a template in the box for the hole size?
I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

Garage size is 26 X 30 ft.

Thanks.

Hi,
If I were you, I'd start with a top quality one and get a few spare
shingle pieces(even a bundle does not cost much at HD or Lowe) In my
case I got hold of a roofing guys doing reroofing in the neighborhood. I
aksed them to do it after work for couple bottles of booze. Done well
very quickly. Cost? two bottles of Rye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:34 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:
I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some
help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.

I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.

Is there a template in the box for the hole size?
I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I
have no orig. replacements?

Garage size is 26 X 30 ft.

Thanks.

Hi,
If I were you, I'd start with a top quality one and get a few spare
shingle pieces(even a bundle does not cost much at HD or Lowe) In my
case I got hold of a roofing guys doing reroofing in the neighborhood. I
aksed them to do it after work for couple bottles of booze. Done well
very quickly. Cost? two bottles of Rye.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the advice.

I want to replace some existing roof vents [the non-electric
type :-) ] on my mother's house with the thermostatic type.

Will they fit in the existing holes without a lot of modification ?

The roof has a low angle slope. It has blown in insulation.

Will adding heat barrier sheets help much in reducing the heat
generation?

Thanks.