Posted to uk.d-i-y
larry

Default heat loss calculations - adding glass roof to kitchen

Hi there

I need some help. We want to replace about half of the roof in 1/2 the
kitchen with glass (pilkington k low e argon and all that) instead of
adding a conservatory. I had a chat with the BCO and he menitoned a few
things that raised even more questions for me. :

He said as as rule of thumb the total glass area should be no more than
25% of the total floor area.
I guess I can then assume that if the current house is ok, I can just
make the calculation on the kitchen part and IF the glass/floor ratio
for that part is below 25 % it's ok. If not I can calculate the whole
house instead and see if that is below.

IF still the ratio is still above 25% I assume I have to start the
detailed heat loss calculations.

Anyway, today the kithen part that will get the glass roof has only 8
to 10 cm rockwool over the celing - is pretty drafty int he corner -
and I was wondering if it is not good enough to show that by adding the
glass and other general improvements to that part of the building we
actually minimise the heatloss ?

Any coments on this, and are there any links to this topic somewhere -
in have googled

Cheers
Lars

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
pool pump [email protected] Home Repair 144 December 10th 05 02:01 AM
Glass, double strength - Cutting Help Jon Dogin Home Repair 18 February 21st 05 12:08 AM
heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 01:50 PM