Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of adding ridge vent to roof?

I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US) but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. Wells wrote:
I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US) but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

You should ask locally if you need a number you can rely on.

Adding a ridge vent requires intake ventilation lower down, typically
the soffits. Without the complete ventilation circuit the ridge vent
will not work very well. If you're just looking to cool down the
attic, you may want to look at a thermostatically controlled
mechanical vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 1:28 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
W. Wells wrote:
I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US) but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

You should ask locally if you need a number you can rely on.

Adding a ridge vent requires intake ventilation lower down, typically
the soffits. Without the complete ventilation circuit the ridge vent
will not work very well. If you're just looking to cool down the
attic, you may want to look at a thermostatically controlled
mechanical vent.

I'd say a guestimate is a few hundred bucks. The vent material isn't
very much and you have the shingles. All that's required is to cut
two runs down the peak, install the ridge vent, and reshingle.

As pointed out above, you do need adequate soffit intakes. Makes sure
they are there and not blocked by insulation. Even if you use a
power vent, and probably more so, you need adequate intake, though if
it's a power vent, you could rely on gable or other vents for cross
flow as opposed to vertical rise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:18:06 -0500, "W. Wells"
wrote:

I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US) but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

imho:

I had a guy come and replace mine. Considering the extra step would
be running a circular saw down 25 feet, and back 25 feet. I'm
guessing another hundred or two. So maybe 400?

Just a guess, but then the extra work comes from what is your current
ventulation method? Gable vents, they will need to be
covered/blocked. Then you need good soffet vents too. So this can
add to the overall cost.

Now this is based on past conversations with a roofer, so not a roofer
myself. Get a professional for a quote.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US)
but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

imho:

I had a guy come and replace mine. Considering the extra step would
be running a circular saw down 25 feet, and back 25 feet. I'm
guessing another hundred or two. So maybe 400?

Just a guess, but then the extra work comes from what is your current
ventulation method? Gable vents, they will need to be
covered/blocked. Then you need good soffet vents too. So this can
add to the overall cost.

Why do gable vents need to be blocked?
I have no gables on my house and the only attic venting is through several
roof vents (non whirling type). I think probably a ridge vent would be
beneficial but haven't checked into prices. Would my roof vents have to be
blocked? Why?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 04:53:00 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US)
but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

imho:

I had a guy come and replace mine. Considering the extra step would
be running a circular saw down 25 feet, and back 25 feet. I'm
guessing another hundred or two. So maybe 400?

Just a guess, but then the extra work comes from what is your current
ventulation method? Gable vents, they will need to be
covered/blocked. Then you need good soffet vents too. So this can
add to the overall cost.

Why do gable vents need to be blocked?

This is what was explained to me. For ridge vents to work, air needs
to be supplied very low. This way natural thermal convection can
occure over the whole bottom of the roof sheathing. If there are
gable vents, air will enter and go right out, and air will take the
path of least resistance, causing stagnent air pockets of heat and
humidity.

I have no gables on my house and the only attic venting is through several
roof vents (non whirling type). I think probably a ridge vent would be
beneficial but haven't checked into prices. Would my roof vents have to be
blocked? Why?

Same reason why gable vents would need blocking, per what was
explained to me.

Thanks

It made sense to me, since I would want air flow over the whole attic,
no short cuts.

Now this came from talking to roofers and builders, so I suggest you
do the same. Don't listen to me, I am a layperson.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Since hot air rises, it would seem more likely to me that hot air
would rise from the soffits and go out both the ridge vents AND the
gable vents. I don't see a big driving force for air to be entering
the gable and then go out right out the ridge, without it being heated
substantially, which isn't going to happen on a short, quick path.
Now, if a wind was blowing into one of the gables, that would
complicate things.

You could go up in the attic with one of the smoke emitter type
products and test it out. Then you'd know for sure. All the
statements I've ever seen on this didn't cite any actual test or
experiment.

I have no gables on my house and the only attic venting is through several
roof vents (non whirling type). I think probably a ridge vent would be
beneficial but haven't checked into prices. Would my roof vents have to be
blocked? Why?

Same reason why gable vents would need blocking, per what was
explained to me.

Thanks

It made sense to me, since I would want air flow over the whole attic,
no short cuts.

Now this came from talking to roofers and builders, so I suggest you
do the same. Don't listen to me, I am a layperson.

tom @www.Consolidated-Loans.info- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I should have thought of that. Certainly makes sense. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 4:26 pm, wrote:
Your best and cheapest bet would be to just install an attic fan with
temp/humidity control. Ridge vents do little for ventilation and you
need soffit vents too for added cost.

He should have and may very well have soffit vents already. If he
does, then installing a ridge vent and a fan are about the same
cost. But, after that, the attic fan, using electric, will always
have operating cost. And fans are not without other downsides, like
sucking conditioned air out of the house, especially if it's installed
where there is inadequate intake.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Feb 2007 05:20:40 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 31, 4:26 pm, wrote:
Your best and cheapest bet would be to just install an attic fan with
temp/humidity control. Ridge vents do little for ventilation and you
need soffit vents too for added cost.

He should have and may very well have soffit vents already. If he
does, then installing a ridge vent and a fan are about the same
cost. But, after that, the attic fan, using electric, will always
have operating cost. And fans are not without other downsides, like
sucking conditioned air out of the house, especially if it's installed
where there is inadequate intake.

You made a valid point, a properly sized ridge vent and set of sofet
vents, will cost one time. Fans can be set wronge, like for 80F when
the outside temps are 90F, and continue to cost money after
installation.

Also, I have a strange prediction, I think cost of energy will be
going up with time. Just a guess....

tom @
www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes a fan costs money- but I'd bet that once properly set will cost
$20/year for electricity as it will not run frequently in the fall and
winter. Ridge and soffit are poor ventilation. Hoping the air will
move isnt my way. A fan will help circulate. I have no soffit vents
and will get the roof fan and will be happy with it. Older houses
have no real soffits so that is an added cost. I feel for you guys if
you cant afford the minmal power needed to run an attic fan. I bet
you use candles too and a hand clothes washer!!!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

news:t110s2h4a6j6q1okhvgsrfm7of7768vhgm@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

when i had my roof done i was up in the attic with the man plugging the
gable ends( making sure i did not need any more soffit openings). i
could feel the flow of air. the man also said i had good air flow, this
was in the summer. i know my set up with ridge and soffit vents work. my
home is a ranch in ohio.

Vent bathroom fan to ridge vent by constructing an adapter at ridge? Mike Home Repair 6 June 14th 06 03:23 PM
Adding a ridge vent Bob M. Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 01:53 AM
roof vent, ridge vent or what? [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 19th 06 05:06 AM
Ridge Vent / Soffit Vent Question [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 31st 05 09:02 PM
Roof ridge vent: a DIY project? Todd W. Roat Home Repair 6 June 3rd 04 01:24 AM