Posted to alt.home.repair
Layperson Tom Layperson Tom is offline

Default Cost of adding ridge vent to roof?

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 04:53:00 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:18:06 -0500, "W. Wells"
wrote:

I would like to put a ridge vent on my house. I do not need shingles. The
length is about 25 ft.

I realize that it is different prices in diff. parts of the country (US)
but
I was trying to get some idea. I am in NC (in a small town) Thks for any
help.

imho:

I had a guy come and replace mine. Considering the extra step would
be running a circular saw down 25 feet, and back 25 feet. I'm
guessing another hundred or two. So maybe 400?

Just a guess, but then the extra work comes from what is your current
ventulation method? Gable vents, they will need to be
covered/blocked. Then you need good soffet vents too. So this can
add to the overall cost.

Why do gable vents need to be blocked?

This is what was explained to me. For ridge vents to work, air needs
to be supplied very low. This way natural thermal convection can
occure over the whole bottom of the roof sheathing. If there are
gable vents, air will enter and go right out, and air will take the
path of least resistance, causing stagnent air pockets of heat and
humidity.

I have no gables on my house and the only attic venting is through several
roof vents (non whirling type). I think probably a ridge vent would be
beneficial but haven't checked into prices. Would my roof vents have to be
blocked? Why?

Same reason why gable vents would need blocking, per what was
explained to me.

Thanks

It made sense to me, since I would want air flow over the whole attic,
no short cuts.

Now this came from talking to roofers and builders, so I suggest you
do the same. Don't listen to me, I am a layperson.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info