Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Windows - Cost ???

I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

After people give you pricing, what will you do next?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 7:45*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

After people give you pricing, what will you do next?

Then I will get quotes. I have one quote but I don't know how to
gauge it, it seems higher than what I've read in this forum. I don't
want to drag other companies out here and waste their time and mine
without having some info on my side.

Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio
door. Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a
guesstimate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 6:16*pm, wrote:
I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

Windows and doors are not made to a standard or made equal, there is
the cheap stuff thats cheap, and then the good stuff that insulates,
seals wind and lasts. www.energystar.gov might start you in a
direction to learn about what you want. Midwest-cold winters, hot
summers, the best glass will pay for itself. Or I can give you joe
hacks number he will do it for 100, they wont leak till the check
clears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 8:04*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 8, 6:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

lol

i think i'll just get more quotes, there is a TON of variation

http://www.replacement-windows.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Custom vinyl replacements ran me about $400 installed. Priced was
comparable among all quotes for top line window (self- cleaning!!)
House was cooler in summer and far less drafty in winter. I'm having
more done soon. Costly but well worth it!!

On May 8, 8:04*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 8, 6:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 6:16*pm, wrote:
I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

If saving energy is your goal then there are quite a few ratings you
need to learn, to compare, U value, Cdf, Shg, air infiltration and
more. Consumer reports has rated windows as well, Loewen
Architectural Services has the highest R value of glass that I know
of, and glass for specific purposes. You have alot to learn about
glass before you buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

i use window world for my rental houses . they install a 2 pane
with low e glass for 220.00 . i dont remember what the argon would add
to it. but the ones i get from them are as good as the 500.00 ones other
outfits offered and better that the 350.00 ones from home depot..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

i use window world for my rental houses . they install a 2 pane
with low e glass for 220.00 . i dont remember what the argon would add
to it. but the ones i get from them are as good as the 500.00 ones other
outfits offered and better that the 350.00 ones from home depot..

I've heard of them and while they arent the worst outfit, the workmanship
varies wildly with the franchise.

Also they arent energystar (or none of the ones I saw were) in that
pricerange.

When I got new windows, I got top quality and it's paid off in lower heating
bills, presumably will in lower coolong as well come high summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
$300

About right, yes. Might be a little more. His bigger window will be about
600$, maybe 700$

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio
door. Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a
guesstimate.

Between $1000 and $4000 depending on brand and quality. If you are buying
something that important to your house, why would you go to a big box store
and take a risk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 8:33*pm, wrote:
* * * *i use window world for my rental houses . they install a 2 pane
with low e glass for 220.00 . i dont remember what the argon would add
to it. but the ones i get from them are as good as the 500.00 ones other
outfits offered and better that the 350.00 ones from home depot..

----------------------------------------------------------------http://www..minibite.com/america/malone.htm

If its not energy star rated then you are just fooling yourself on it
being equal to a 500 window, you realy get what you pay for, its a
competitive business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The company i have purchased from 3 times sells low-e, argon, doublehung,
foamfilled frames for $300. This includes any size as long as one width and
one height added together are less than 101".

oh, ya, and that's installed.

"cshenk" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
$300

About right, yes. Might be a little more. His bigger window will be
about 600$, maybe 700$

Posted to alt.home.repair

i seriously wonder how long any gas remains sealed in?

windows move, shake, and are subject to wide temperature changes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio
door. Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a
guesstimate.

You could always try changing it to a french door with sidelites.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 7:51*am, Lou wrote:
Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio
door. *Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a
guesstimate.

You could always try changing it to a french door with sidelites.
*Lou

Man, I thought of that last night when I was staring at the thing -
it's a 100" opening, just ridiculously big. I can't stand sliding
patio doors, they always seem to muck up somehow.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 7:16*pm, wrote:
I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

You can sometimes judge a company by what they ask *you* when you ask
for a quote.

How long will you be remaining the house?
What's your house worth?
How much insulation is in the rest of the house?
Will you want to open the screens or just the windows?
How much glass area are you willing to give up compared to what you
have today?

If they just walk up and offer you a price for new windows, then
they're just selling a product as opposed to solving a problem.

And for every question they ask you, ask them why they want to know. A
clear concise explanation of why they want that information will help
you judge the quality of the contractor.

Ask them about the construction of the windows - welded seams vs.
mechanical fasteners, metal shoes vs. plastic, removable sashes vs.
just tiltable, full screens vs half, movable screens vs fixed, etc

If they can't answer those questions, then the proper word is "Next!"

There's a ton of factors to consider and the way the contractor
responds to your questions should lead you towards someone your
comfortable working with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 8:07*am, wrote:
On May 9, 7:51*am, Lou wrote:

Also if anyone knows a replacement cost on an 8' wide sliding patio
door. *Big box stores don't sell that size so I'd like to get a
guesstimate.

You could always try changing it to a french door with sidelites.
*Lou

Man, I thought of that last night when I was staring at the thing -
it's a 100" opening, just ridiculously big. *I can't stand sliding
patio doors, they always seem to muck up somehow.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Have windows on the sides and smaller french doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 9:05*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 8, 7:16*pm, wrote:

[...]

If they are not "Energy Star" certified and have complete independant
prformance tests then they still are not up to the best standards. In
sliders name brands like Marvin , Anderson, Pella are of proven
quality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well i asked the guy about that, and was told they are actually not 'sealed'
but there is no reason for the gas to leave. Argon does not expand and
contract, so therefore the cavity does not 'breathe'. ?? Who's to say?
And how could you ever prove it was gone? G

wrote in message
i seriously wonder how long any gas remains sealed in?

windows move, shake, and are subject to wide temperature changes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am in New Jersey and have been pricing replacement windows. The price is
the cost of the window plus the cost to install it.

One contractor I know charges $110 per window for the installation. Another
charges $100 per window for the installation. That's the labor -- not
including the cost of the actual window. That includes rip-out and removal,
installation of the new window, all of the capping and or caulking, etc. By
the way, any aluminum you have can be put at the curb in front of your house
and it will be gone within a few hours at the most. People driving by just
pick it up because they can sell it for recycling.

The cost to purchase the windows varies. I see some at Home Depot and Lowes
for roughly $150/window (+/-), depending on the size and quality. The cost
for me to order them from a window supply place near me is about the same.

So, I'm figuring about $250 to $300 total cost per window to have vinyl
replacement windows installed.

wrote in message
I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.- Hide quoted text -

Just because the cost at a home center is the same as the cost at a
window supply house, you might not be getting a window of equal
quality.

While it's hard to do a perfect 1-to-1 comparison across multiple
brands, it appeared to me that at each price point, the windows from
the contractor supply house were one step above the windows from the
home center.

In other words, the supply house didn't carry anything that matched
the "in stock" window from the home center. Their least expensive
window matched the first level upgrade at the home center, but the
price was the same as the home centers in stock window. Plus, I got to
talk one-on-one with people in the business and recieved a lot of
valuable advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Just because the cost at a home center is the same as the cost at a
window supply house, you might not be getting a window of equal
quality.

Exactly. And I'll add that for most of us (one house, living there for
years and years), price cutting in reasonable ways is ok but you want a
higher quality product if you can afford it.

A person fixing a rental unit is not quite as concerned with the
heating/cooling factors of a window unless the place comes with that as part
of the rent. They may be more concerned with how strongly the unit is
constructed though so as to last through poor tenant practices. A homeowner
will be gentle with their own windows, a renter will not be because if it
breaks, 'it's someone elses problem to fix it'.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

A homeowner
will be gentle with their own windows, a renter will not be because if it
breaks, 'it's someone elses problem to fix it'.

That's why I put in my leases that the first $50 in repairs for each
problem
is paid by the renter, not the landlord.
Lou

Cost of Vinyl Tile Installation udaman19 Home Ownership 0 October 19th 07 03:03 PM
Pella Thermastar Vinyl Windows vs. Jeld-Wen Vinyl Windows [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 29th 06 12:38 AM
Vinyl Windows Paulf Home Repair 4 May 19th 06 01:02 AM
Cost of Vinyl Siding Bgreer5050 Home Repair 9 February 12th 06 10:22 PM
Are Storm Windows a reasonable approach for newish vinyl windows? patrick conroy Home Repair 6 October 31st 05 12:11 AM