Posted to alt.home.repair
Bgreer5050

Default Cost of Vinyl Siding

Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of the
popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel

Menard's can sell some real crap, you must be careful. Thicker vinyl is
better. You might consider using Hardi Plank instead. My house has Hardi
Plank on it, and it's really nice stuff!

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
. com...
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of
the popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
. com...
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of

the
popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

And keep in mind that the siding is only about 60% of the material cost.
All the trim pieces add greatly to the cost. That 60% figure is off the top
of my head could go 5% either way.

I know there is no comparison between the quality of the trim pieces at HD
and Lowes compared to the quality of the one I get from a distributor. We
don't have a Menards.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed B

Colbyt wrote:
"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
. com...
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of

the
popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

And keep in mind that the siding is only about 60% of the material cost.
All the trim pieces add greatly to the cost. That 60% figure is off the top
of my head could go 5% either way.

I know there is no comparison between the quality of the trim pieces at HD
and Lowes compared to the quality of the one I get from a distributor. We
don't have a Menards.

Colbyt

Alcoa Grand Sierra series Double 4" $85-$90 a sq
I agree with Colbyt authorized distributors carry an all around better
product and are much more knowledgeable.
Ed
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Bgreer5050 wrote:
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some
of the popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

Think about the total installed cost, not the cost of just one part.
Remember that the quality of the materials are not standard. They vary
greatly as does the workmanship in installation which is a very big part of
the quality of the final product.

Get several estimates from several local professionals and ask them
about their recommendations for specific materials. Remember that local
weather conditions should be considered when picking a product.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:56:24 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Bgreer5050 wrote:
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some
of the popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

Think about the total installed cost, not the cost of just one part.
Remember that the quality of the materials are not standard. They vary
greatly as does the workmanship in installation which is a very big part of
the quality of the final product.

Get several estimates from several local professionals and ask them
about their recommendations for specific materials. Remember that local
weather conditions should be considered when picking a product.

Can I buy 25 foot of siding...?

After 30+ years I had a piece come loose in the wind and I will need
to replace that entire row...(at least it ois the bottom row )

Home is brick vineered but the peaks are covered with aliminum
siding...each piece aout 8 inches tall...

Not enough work for a Pro...and it is white .. just praying I can at
least come close to the color..as its on the most visible part of the
house...next to the driveway...

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Bob G." wrote in message

Can I buy 25 foot of siding...?

After 30+ years I had a piece come loose in the wind and I will need
to replace that entire row...(at least it ois the bottom row )

Home is brick vineered but the peaks are covered with aliminum
siding...each piece aout 8 inches tall...

Not enough work for a Pro...and it is white .. just praying I can at
least come close to the color..as its on the most visible part of the
house...next to the driveway...

Bob G.

Bob,

I hate being the one to tell you this and keep in mind I may be wrong,

but I think you are up the proverbial tributary without the proper means of
locomotion.

I don't think you will find it anywhere except at a salvage yard.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bgreer5050

Wow. 60% only. What are the other expenses? Are you using Soffit & Fascia
in this calculation or house wrap? Just curious.

Thanks

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
. com...
Menards has siding for ~$5 Per piece ($60 Per Square). What are some of

the
popular manufacturers going for out there?

I have heard Menards siding is not very good.

Thoughts...

And keep in mind that the siding is only about 60% of the material cost.
All the trim pieces add greatly to the cost. That 60% figure is off the
top
of my head could go 5% either way.

I know there is no comparison between the quality of the trim pieces at HD
and Lowes compared to the quality of the one I get from a distributor. We
don't have a Menards.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Bgreer5050" wrote in message
. net...
Wow. 60% only. What are the other expenses? Are you using Soffit &

Fascia
in this calculation or house wrap? Just curious.

59.73% to be exact. I pulled an invoice from December 2004 to make sure this
was correct.

I bought my materials at a wholesalers. The box stores tend to mark up the
trim pieces more than the siding because most people don't realize the total
cost of the project. They look at a cheap price for the siding and are
really shocked when they add up the total bill.

I stripped the exterior to the studs, added insulation, new OSB and house
wrap. NONE of that is included in the following figures:

Nails and any tool purchases are not included.

Total cost of materials after returns and before sales tax $768.00
Less the cost of soffit materials included on invoice ($157.00)
Net invoice amount of siding only materials $611.00
Total cost of siding boards only $365.00 59.73%
Cost of all trim pieces $246.00 41.27%

Seven new windows with attached J-channel were installed or the trim cost
would have been higher. The trim included 4 OS corners, 2 IS corners and
the proper amount of J-channel, starter strip and sill strip, also used at
the top of the last piece, to complete the project. I think I even wound up
going back for another piece or two of J or sill but that is not included
in these numbers. There was no leftover or returned trim.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

he might take some from a less noticeable area, and put the new stuff
there.

at least that way its less visible

100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Vinyl siding Starter Strip New & Improved - N/F John Home Repair 1 September 26th 05 04:04 AM
Vinyl Siding Corinne Home Repair 5 August 11th 05 09:35 PM
how to insulate under horiz. vinyl siding? Brikp Home Ownership 0 September 8th 04 04:37 PM
Vinyl Siding on A House Opinions Requested, Please Robert11 Home Ownership 0 August 22nd 04 10:24 PM