Corinne

Default Vinyl Siding

Just moved into a new home (for me anyway, it is 8 yrs. old), and I have
never had vinyl siding.

I had another cable jack installed in my house, and the installer ran it
half way around my house. It looked great as he hid most of it, but on
the south side the black cable keeps falling out from under the vinyl
due to the hot weather we are having. The installer came back out and
twisted the two pieces of cable, and put more plastic clips on it, and
the next day, bingo, it is slipping again.

The installer said if it happened again, he would have to drill a small
hole in the siding to stop the cable from slipping.

Is it OK to drill small holes in the vinyl, or would this be inviting
trouble for down the road.

I have been in the crawl space, and it is roomy and clean, but for some
reason installers don't go in the crawl space.

Thanks everyone.

Corinne
Edwin Pawlowski

"Corinne" wrote in message
Is it OK to drill small holes in the vinyl, or would this be inviting
trouble for down the road.

Won't harm anything. My house was built in 1978 with vinyl siding and there
are a few holes drilled in it. Everything is perfect.

willshak

On 8/11/2005 3:03 AM US(ET), Corinne took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Just moved into a new home (for me anyway, it is 8 yrs. old), and I
have never had vinyl siding.

I had another cable jack installed in my house, and the installer ran
it half way around my house. It looked great as he hid most of it,
but on the south side the black cable keeps falling out from under the
vinyl due to the hot weather we are having. The installer came back
out and twisted the two pieces of cable, and put more plastic clips on
it, and the next day, bingo, it is slipping again.

Apparently, the siding was installed wrong or the cable installer did
not rehook the siding correctly. I have both cable TV and cat5 cable
installed under my vinyl siding. The Broadband Cable company installed
theirs under there and I installed cat5 cable under other sections of
the siding. There is a special tool for unzipping and rezipping vinyl
siding. There is no reason for vinyl siding to become unzipped by
itself, other than installer error. Mine has been up for over 20 years
in the northeast and it never unhooked itself.

The installer said if it happened again, he would have to drill a
small hole in the siding to stop the cable from slipping.

Is it OK to drill small holes in the vinyl, or would this be inviting
trouble for down the road.

Vinyl siding is never nailed up. It is hung up with roofing type nails
that are not driven home in slots that allow expanding and contracting
of the vinyl. A nail driven into the vinyl siding other than in these
slots may cause the vinyl to buckle when it expands, and could cause a
visible wrinkle in the siding.

I have been in the crawl space, and it is roomy and clean, but for
some reason installers don't go in the crawl space.

*Some* installers don't go into a crawl space, or any place where they
may get damp, dirty, or encounter yucky critters or cobwebs. Others do.

Thanks everyone.

Corinne

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Won't harm anything. My house was built in 1978 with vinyl siding and
there are a few holes drilled in it. Everything is perfect.

Should have mentioned, a dab of silicone caulk will help seal it.

Corinne

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Won't harm anything. My house was built in 1978 with vinyl siding and
there are a few holes drilled in it. Everything is perfect.

Should have mentioned, a dab of silicone caulk will help seal it.

Thank you so much. The installer is due here within two hours.

Corinne

Corinne

willshak wrote:

[...]

The siding is in perfect condition, and one of the best vinyl jobs I
have ever seen.

The installer did use proper clamps (I think), and all of the other
cable he installed around the other two sides of the house are well
hidden, and have not popped out from underneath.

The major problem is that it is popping out on the south side of the
house, and the vinyl probably is expanding due to the hot temps we have
had (95 - 102 for the last three weeks).

Thanks.

Corinne