Blake Patterson

Default Painting vs. replacing vinyl siding ... ?

We have a two story house with a large rear expansion. The main
portion of the house is unpainted brick on 1st floor, white aluminum
siding on 2nd. The large, rear, two-floor expansion was recently
built and is covered with white vinyl siding.

We are looking to change the color of the entire house to a particular
shade of very light, cream yellow (windows and trim would be white).

Painting the brick should obviously be no problem. I believe aluminum
siding can be painted without much trouble. But the vinyl siding
concerns me. I understand that it swells significantly with sunlight
and that it used to be the case that you just couldn't paint it. I
see some reports that there are paints now that are superadhesive and
that as long as a light color is used, you can paint vinyl siding and
even get a warranty on the work.

How good an idea is it to paint go ahead and have the siding painted?
What is the cost of re-siding a house with proper-color vinyl siding
vs. painting? Am I correct that there should be no problem painting
the aluminum siding?

Any other thoughts in general? Thanks.

bp
Edwin Pawlowski

"Blake Patterson" wrote in message

Painting the brick should obviously be no problem.

One reason people use brick is t he naturla good appearance and no
mainentance for a hundred years. hey don't want to paint stuff. It could
hurt the resale value.

But the vinyl siding
concerns me. I understand that it swells significantly with sunlight
and that it used to be the case that you just couldn't paint it. I
see some reports that there are paints now that are superadhesive and
that as long as a light color is used, you can paint vinyl siding and
even get a warranty on the work.

Talk to you paint dealer. Some paints are formulated for just your use.

m Ransley

Why did you buy a brick house.

Dan Hartung

Blake Patterson wrote:
We have a two story house with a large rear expansion. The main
portion of the house is unpainted brick on 1st floor, white aluminum
siding on 2nd.

Yeah, that was a particular "look" for a while.

We are looking to change the color of the entire house to a particular
shade of very light, cream yellow (windows and trim would be white).

Painting the brick should obviously be no problem.

Yeah, but why would ya do it? I would reconsider the color -- find
something that makes a more subtle contrast with the brick than white (I
wouldn't choose a 'light cream yellow', for my money -- a nice green
perhaps), and I'm sure you'll be very pleased. Pay attention to
landscaping and the different layer won't be as noticeable.

But yellow painted brick? Yech. Especially when it begins to come off,
you'll really notice that.

Blake Patterson

"Art" wrote in message thlink.net...
Painting brick is usually a big mistake.

In what way?

bp