Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Vinyl Windows - Cost ???

On May 9, 2:22*pm, "BETA-35" wrote:
I am in New Jersey and have been pricing replacement windows. *The price is
the cost of the window plus the cost to install it.

One contractor I know charges $110 per window for the installation. *Another
charges $100 per window for the installation. *That's the labor -- not
including the cost of the actual window. *That includes rip-out and removal,
installation of the new window, all of the capping and or caulking, etc. *By
the way, any aluminum you have can be put at the curb in front of your house
and it will be gone within a few hours at the most. *People driving by just
pick it up because they can sell it for recycling.

The cost to purchase the windows varies. *I see some at Home Depot and Lowes
for roughly $150/window (+/-), depending on the size and quality. *The cost
for me to order them from a window supply place near me is about the same.

So, I'm figuring about $250 to $300 total cost per window to have vinyl
replacement windows installed.

wrote in message

I'm in the midwest US and looking to replace my aluminum windows with
vinyl custom-made argon low-e. *I don't know pricing - can anyone help
with a guesstimate on window price with installation for a roughly 4'
x 4' opening ? *Remove the old aluminum, haul it away, install new
custom-sized vinyl and caulk it.

Or, if you have specifics - a custom vinyl window with a pane in the
middle and sliders on each side, opening is 8' wide and 20" tall.

House is brick. *Vinyl windows are considered high-end for this
neighborhood.

I don't mind paying for a decent job but I got nothing to go on and
it's a PITA to get quotes.- Hide quoted text -

Just because the cost at a home center is the same as the cost at a
window supply house, you might not be getting a window of equal
quality.

While it's hard to do a perfect 1-to-1 comparison across multiple
brands, it appeared to me that at each price point, the windows from
the contractor supply house were one step above the windows from the
home center.

In other words, the supply house didn't carry anything that matched
the "in stock" window from the home center. Their least expensive
window matched the first level upgrade at the home center, but the
price was the same as the home centers in stock window. Plus, I got to
talk one-on-one with people in the business and recieved a lot of
valuable advice.