Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting Sheet Metal?

Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? or is there a better way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:14*am, Dan R wrote:
Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... *the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. *So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? *Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? *or is there a better way?

I never saw a non metal fridge with wallboard. Dont drill unless you
know where all the freon and electric wires go, and you dont. Plus its
not your frige.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 8:34�am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:14�am, Dan R wrote:

Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... �the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. �So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? �Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? �or is there a better way?

I never saw a non metal fridge with wallboard. Dont drill unless you
know where all the freon and electric wires go, and you dont. Plus its
not your frige.

double sided sticky tape.

dont drill etc its not your fridge!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 9:14*am, Dan R wrote:
Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... *the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. *So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? *Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? *or is there a better way?

When the OP said: "Just drill holes in the corners and use some short
drywall screws?" I doubt he meant he wanted to drill into the fridge!

I believe he was talking about attaching the metal to the wallboard.

For the metal to wallboard connection I'd consider a heavy duty spray
adhesive or even epoxy. You want a surface to surface bond, not
something like double sided tape which leave a gap between the metal
and wallboard (read: flexing)

For the wallboard to fridge connection consider 3M Command Picture
Hanging Strips - removable adhesive backed hook and loop fasteners.
Easily adjustable for alignment and no surface damage (according to
3M) when removed.

See a demo he

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...e_hangers/game

BTW...you might want to consider something different than "wallboard".
If you mean drywall, then you going to have a pretty ugly exposed
edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 26, 8:34?am, ransley Mark wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:14?am, Dan R wrote:

Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... ?the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. ?So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? ?Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? ?or is there a better way?

I never saw a non metal fridge with wallboard. Dont drill unless you
know where all the freon and electric wires go, and you dont. Plus its
not your frige.

double sided sticky tape.

dont drill etc its not your fridge!

I'm guessing the OP meant wallboard "near" or "to" the side of the
refrigerator, not literally "on" the side. They don't make refrigerator
cabinets out of wallboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan R" wrote in message

Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? or is there a better way?

Stainless steel is nonmagnetic, so if it's a stainless fridge, magnets
won't stick!

-Nathan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

"Dan R" wrote in message

Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? or is there a better way?

Stainless steel is nonmagnetic, so if it's a stainless fridge, magnets
won't stick!

-Nathan

Hmm, interesting. The SO wants a stainless fridge, but she has a lot of
magnet clutter on the old one... Never thought about the stainless ones
being non-magnetic but it's a good point.

(Incidentally, many types of stainless *are* magnetic. Given the
popularity of magnets on fridges, you'd think some appliance
manufacturer would jump on that possibility.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
nhurst wrote:

On Mar 26, 10:09 am, "S. Barker" wrote:
what the hell refrigerator (note proper spelling of this word) is NOT steel
sided?

Stainless steel is nonmagnetic, so if it's a stainless fridge, magnets
won't stick!

... Never thought about the stainless ones
being non-magnetic but it's a good point.

(Incidentally, many types of stainless *are* magnetic. Given the
popularity of magnets on fridges, you'd think some appliance
manufacturer would jump on that possibility.)

Was just going to point this out but don't have any data on whether
anybody uses it on appliances -- guess you take a magnet in your pocket
when go shopping and test.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 26, 8:14*am, Dan R wrote:
Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... *the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. *So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? *Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? *or is there a better way?

Simplest and most effective is any construction adhesive or silicone
sealant (more easily removed).

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 11:10*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

"Dan R" wrote in message

[...]

manufacturer would jump on that possibility.)- Hide quoted text -

I saw this on TV last week. Not sure if it was Cool Tools or not - it
wasn't exactly an infomercial, but it was certainly one of those
crossover segments where it ends up being nothing more than an
extended commercial in the middle of a regular show, using the show's
host and format as the backdrop. I hate it when they do that.

But I digress...

Turn your current appliances into stainless steel, magnetic and all.

http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/

I wouldn't mind seeing the results of this product, bu I'm sure not
going to try it myself!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Incidentally, true stainless is infact non magnetic. True stainless has no
iron in it. So if it's got iron in it, it's not much of a stainless steel.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

(Incidentally, many types of stainless *are* magnetic. Given the
popularity of magnets on fridges, you'd think some appliance
manufacturer would jump on that possibility.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Incidentally, true stainless is infact non magnetic. True stainless has
no iron in it. So if it's got iron in it, it's not much of a stainless
steel.

no iron? it wouldn't be steel if it had no iron in it. it's the addition of
trace elements to iron that makes it stainless.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

(Incidentally, many types of stainless *are* magnetic. Given the
popularity of magnets on fridges, you'd think some appliance
manufacturer would jump on that possibility.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

S. Barker wrote:
Incidentally, true stainless is infact non magnetic. True stainless has no
iron in it. So if it's got iron in it, it's not much of a stainless steel.

That's simply incorrect on both counts -- there are many SS alloys that
aren't ferromagnetic, but all SS has iron in -- the preponderance is Fe.

Here's a composition for SS 304--

Cr 19%
Ni 9.0
C 0.08 max
Fe (balance)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"S. Barker" wrote:

I don't understand the fad of the stainless appliances anyway.....
Stainless is a bitch to keep clean. Ask any janitorial service person about
drinking fountains.

I'll agree with you on the polished stuff, but the newer stuff is
textured and doesn't show fingerprints and such.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 26, 2:13*pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
Incidentally, *true stainless is infact non magnetic. *True stainless has no
iron in it. *So if it's got iron in it, it's not *much of a stainless steel.

snip

According to my Metallurgy 101 book all stainless steels contain Fe or
iron as the major component. If no iron is present you're talking
about alloys like Inconel, Rene 41, etc. Lots of info on stainless
steels listed by Google. Have a look and be enlightened.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:04:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:14*am, Dan R wrote:
Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... *the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. *So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? *Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? *or is there a better way?

When the OP said: "Just drill holes in the corners and use some short
drywall screws?" I doubt he meant he wanted to drill into the fridge!

I"m convinced now that you're right, but I read it the other way too.

I believe he was talking about attaching the metal to the wallboard.

For the metal to wallboard connection I'd consider a heavy duty spray
adhesive or even epoxy.

Won't the landlod dislike that even more? The four screws can be
removed and the holes spacked, before the tenant leaves, but what's
going to happen when one tries to rip off the metal that's glued to
the wall?

The url you give below looks good, I think.