Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Mounting Sheet Metal?

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:04:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 26, 9:14*am, Dan R wrote:
Hi, so I just moved into a new place (leased, not owned), and I have a
slight problem... *the refridgerator isn't magnetic, and I have a lot
of magnetic spice containers that I was going to put there. *So I
bought a piece of sheet metal that the magnets do stick to.

I want to mount it to the piece of wallboard on the side of the
refridgerator.

What's the best way to mount it? *Just drill holes in the corners and
use some short drywall screws? *or is there a better way?

When the OP said: "Just drill holes in the corners and use some short
drywall screws?" I doubt he meant he wanted to drill into the fridge!

I"m convinced now that you're right, but I read it the other way too.

I believe he was talking about attaching the metal to the wallboard.

For the metal to wallboard connection I'd consider a heavy duty spray
adhesive or even epoxy.

Won't the landlod dislike that even more? The four screws can be
removed and the holes spacked, before the tenant leaves, but what's
going to happen when one tries to rip off the metal that's glued to
the wall?

The url you give below looks good, I think.

You want a surface to surface bond, not
something like double sided tape which leave a gap between the metal
and wallboard (read: flexing)

For the wallboard to fridge connection consider 3M Command Picture
Hanging Strips - removable adhesive backed hook and loop fasteners.
Easily adjustable for alignment and no surface damage (according to
3M) when removed.

See a demo he

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...e_hangers/game

BTW...you might want to consider something different than "wallboard".
If you mean drywall, then you going to have a pretty ugly exposed
edge.