Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

Figured some of you might have some tips here too. On weekends in the
winter, the kid gets pretty bored and since she's 14, we've been starting
her on small safe projects. She can handle a hammer and nails at this age,
but we don't let her use the electric saw (she marks, Daddy cuts).

Today, she finished off a wooden toy box out of some leftover plywood. The
top makes a seat when down and it's going to double as a chair before the
electric piano.

It started as a 2x4 'box', heavy framed (more than actually needed) and then
the plywood was nailed to that and smoothed down with Daddy's help and the
sander. She did the finishing hand sanding touches. Then, digging through
my fabric piles, she picked out a pretty black cotton with little violets
and we brushed glue all over it then cloth covered it. A little lacey trim
here and there, and it looks pretty cool! I even had a fairly close
matching cushion to put ontop.

It's drying now. I figure about 2 days for hard set of the thicker glue
around the lace trim.

Anyone got any neat ideas for teaching kids that I might find handy? With
supervision of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

At 14 you mightwant to teach her about boys....

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
[...]

Heck, at 14 I was using all the power tools. I think just about
anything she wants to do is fine, ASSuming that she's responsible and
careful and supervised by someone who can advise proper safety precautions.

I'm glad to see that she's showing an interest in making stuff on her
own and that you are encouraging it. I'm starting to think that I was
on the tail end of child-rearing when kids were generally allowed and
encouraged to *do* stuff as opposed to just calling a plumber, handyman,
etc...

Of course, my parents being hard-core DIYers and chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal to
boot didn't hurt, in my case. I probably end up doing stuff myself that
I would have been better off paying someone to do, but at least I know
whether it was done well or not.

But back to your original question; have you considered checking out a
good bookstore and seeing if there's a woodworking magazine that
regularly publishes project plans? might get some ideas in there, and
if you find one you like I'd be willing to bet that at some point
they've published a book of plans all collated together. Another idea
would be scavenging junk sales for old furniture to refinish, if she
tends more towards enjoying the finishing rather than the construction
(although methylene chloride is not wise to use indoors without
ventilation...) that was one of my mom's favorite hobbies.

Or you could send her over here and I can start teaching her how to make
paneled doors (got my grandpa's old router over xmas, happy happy
joy joy)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote

Anyone got any neat ideas for teaching kids that I might find handy?
With supervision of course.

At 14 you mightwant to teach her about boys....

LOL that too, but it seemed a little off topic for here ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" nj@roosters. wrote

Heck, at 14 I was using all the power tools. I think just about

Probably started earlier too though. Charlotte is allowed some power tools,
but not the big saw. For example she used the drill to make smaller holes
in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first use
of new Xmas gift).

anything she wants to do is fine, ASSuming that she's responsible and
careful and supervised by someone who can advise proper safety
precautions.

Yes, she's real good about safety glasses and such. We only got stateside a
little over 3 months ago and in Sasebo, we had no tools for this type of
project so she's learning how to use them.

I'm glad to see that she's showing an interest in making stuff on her own
and that you are encouraging it. I'm starting to think that I was on the
tail end of child-rearing when kids were generally allowed and encouraged
to *do* stuff as opposed to just calling a plumber, handyman, etc...

Well, Mom raised us 3 kids to be fairly efficient with quite a few household
things. I guess the new term for how she made her living is 'flipping' and
we 3 kids and her did pretty good at it. Each of us specialized in some
areas. I did the wood porches from treated lumber, and did wallpaper for
example. My brother and Sister don't really know how to do either one.

Of course, my parents being hard-core DIYers and chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal to
boot didn't hurt, in my case. I probably end up doing stuff myself that I
would have been better off paying someone to do, but at least I know
whether it was done well or not.

Grin, I know the feeling. I pay for some things. I am still very
uncomfortable working with electricity for example and contract that out. I
am waiting for the contractor to put in a new tub (just too big for us to
manage) but we replace toilets and sinks ourselves.

But back to your original question; have you considered checking out a
good bookstore and seeing if there's a woodworking magazine that regularly
publishes project plans? might get some ideas in there, and

Yes, but figured asking a few real people what worked for them might be fun
and who knows, there might be a parent out there who hasnt really thought
about teaching their kids such skills.

they've published a book of plans all collated together. Another idea
would be scavenging junk sales for old furniture to refinish, if she

Oh we do that! It's a hobby of Don's. We sell it later for a small profit
or gift it to charity. It's just the wrong season for us here to do much of
that. The box was done on the kitchen floor (tarp under it) but anything
really big that involves stains etc needs to be in the garage and it's below
32F here now.

Or you could send her over here and I can start teaching her how to make
paneled doors (got my grandpa's old router over xmas, happy happy joy
joy)

Grin, I would love a good dowler. Makes round spindles unless I've muffed
the name of the tool. I've used one in the past for making nice porch parts
but havent touched one for 30 years since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote

Anyone got any neat ideas for teaching kids that I might find handy?
With supervision of course.

At 14 you mightwant to teach her about boys....

LOL that too, but it seemed a little off topic for here ;-)

I know. I was just kiddin' ya.

Like Nate said: Let her use the power tools. Safety First...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 21, 8:16*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

Get a scroll saw, some simple scroll saw patterns, and turn her loose
to do her own work. The local highschools in this area that have
shops do that with their special ed students. A scroll saw may nick a
finger but would be extremely rare to do any serious damage. Some of
the scroll saw animals can be painted to look real cute.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Figured some of you might have some tips here too. On weekends in the
winter, the kid gets pretty bored and since she's 14, we've been

(snip)

Anyone got any neat ideas for teaching kids that I might find handy?
With supervision of course.

At 14 you mightwant to teach her about boys....

On the contrary- those of us who grew up using tools, find females that
know how to use tools, appealing as hell. The more she learns how to do
stuff for herself, they less likely she will be on the receiving end of
a con job from tradesmen OR suitors in a few years when she is on her
own. I went out of my way to teach my 2 little sisters as much as I
could about basic tools and home repairs (since our father, who had
taught the older sisters, was in a different state by that point.) They
seemed to forget a lot of it as they discovered boys, but a few years
later, as they went out on their own, a surprising amount of the old
knowledge floated back to the top again.

(But yeah, at 14, they do need to be taught that even NICE boys are
prone to thinking with the small head, given half an excuse. Everything
they say should be taken with a grain of salt, and isolated places are
to be avoided. Not that teenage girls don't get horny as well, of course.)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 21, 9:46*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" nj@roosters. wrote

Heck, at 14 I was using all the power tools. *I think just about

Probably started earlier too though. *Charlotte is allowed some power tools,
but not the big saw. *For example she used the drill to make smaller holes
in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. *The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first use
of new Xmas gift).

hah! I got a new belt sander for xmas as well. I managed to
resurrect an old third-sheet finishing sander that I'd picked out of a
pile that a friend was throwing out (?!?!?!?!) as well as getting a
really nice old (1940's) Craftsman jigsaw and the aforementioned
router from my grandma while I was home for the holidays. So I had a
very tool-enabled holiday. Life could be a LOT worse... although I
still would like to have a table saw and I'm going to have to buy that
myself, I don't know of any that I'm going to inherit (although I did
visit my ancient Delta drill press while at Grandma's, next time I am
going to have to take the pickup truck when I go to visit...)

Anyway, my advice is that while I understand that your more hirsute
half wanted to play with his new toy and that's understandable, I'd
say next time let her do everything, just do a small project so if she
destroys a few pieces of wood it won't be a huge deal to replace.
IMHO doing the tricky parts and getting them right is a huge
confidence builder.

Of course, her mind may not work like mine (in fact, I'd offer my
condolences if it did G) so YMMV...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote

in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first
use
of new Xmas gift).

hah! I got a new belt sander for xmas as well. I managed to
resurrect an old third-sheet finishing sander that I'd picked out of a
pile that a friend was throwing out (?!?!?!?!) as well as getting a

Cool! Ours is a simple craftsman hand held sander withthe round disc. It
was a bit overpowered for this job. I guess maybe we should have let her
run it, but at the start Don wasnt sure of the arm strength needed for it.
Rather than create a hazard with an unfamiliar new tool, she held the box so
he could press the sander on the edges.

Anyway, my advice is that while I understand that your more hirsute
half wanted to play with his new toy and that's understandable, I'd
say next time let her do everything, just do a small project so if she
destroys a few pieces of wood it won't be a huge deal to replace.
IMHO doing the tricky parts and getting them right is a huge
confidence builder.

Agreed. The wood is no issue. No reason for you to recall but we are the
ones who moved back from Sasebo Japan just recently and are having to fix
tons of things. So, we got wood bits of all sorts laying about.

She has a next project in mind. Our closets are the old small style. She
is plotting out how to use some 1x2 framing wood to make a riser and then
set a second pole lower down. She's not sure how to cut the round hole so I
let her chew it over. She figured out a method with just making as 'u' on
both sides to set it in grin. Hey, works for me! I have about 36ft of
that smaller framing wood leftover from doing the porch screening.

Her plan is to make a 3 sided box about 3 feet up then run risers from the
floor up to it to reinforce it. Using that to stabilize, she then wants to
run more risers upwards and raise the top bar which is set low in her closet
(kids room design) to 6ft then put a shelf at the top. The back bar wouldnt
be needed except she wants the extra to support the shelf and anything heavy
she may want to put up there. It will also allow her to put a shelf on the
lower level.

I have to get her 1 item. A round bar for the lower portion.

She likes the fabric look of the toy box, so asked how to do that for the
closet. It's easy. You dip the wood in a bit of glue after cutting and
wrap in fabric then let dry. Nail in place with back edge to the wall.
Those smallish short flat nails with widish heads hold the fabric at the top
and bottom of each wood piece so it doesnt show any raw wood at the joints.
(hope I'm describing this clear enough to be followed).

I remember we did this with a kids room closet when Mom was fixing up
houses. Sensibly we had to use a dark fabric as it doesnt come off and cant
really be painted over the years. I've also used wallpaper for similar but
you need really smoothe wood or it will come apart.

I have some dark blue (almost black) fabric with tiny flowers and little
bears. About 3 yards which will be plenty. Oh, if considering such, do not
cover the round bar as it wont hold up to the hangars over time. Just paint
that and repaint as needed.

(reality, she doesnt need the back bar and it's risers but I think with the
fabric look, it will be nice and it's her closet project! so hush! Let her
plot).

Now, for parent help: We will use the table saw after she marks the wood.
We have enough that if she mismarks, we can make more. We will help her
hold it in place before fabric'ing to check measures. She will do any hand
lathe smoothing after checking with a level to see what's needed. I don't
think she'll need any more help other than holding parts while she nails.
Maybe I'll wrap the first wood piece so she knows how to cover the edges
without making a bulge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:16*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

When my son was 5 he wanted to try to drill a hole himself. So I
handed him the cordless drill and a piece of 2x6 and he took to it
like a fish to water (after the dril spun him around the first time).
Then when my wife came downstairs she had a knipshin fit, so to keep
peace he didn't drill again until he was 7. Anyway that 2x6 full of
holes we still have sitting on the kitchen counter makes a great
pencil holder, he's 10 now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:

[...]

The most vital lesson in life that kids never learn about in school -
how to maintain and do simple repairs
on cars. She wouldn't want her friends to see her working on a car, but
someday she might blow a
guy's mind by getting his jallopy going ) At least teach her to
recognize basic problems, mebbe charge
a battery (with supervision and adequate safety gear). Don't let her
drive 'til she is 18, at least.

Red Cross First Aid, CPR and babysitting classes.

Volunteer (our high school gives credit for vol. They may require some
hours.

For fun - tile a trivet or small table top. Can do with ceramic or
glass mosaic, broken pottery, stone, etc.

Marbled paper. Messy.

Ceramics. Ceramics shops have lots of stuff to make - lamps, platters,
figurines, Christmas deco., mugs,
etc.

I had a nice Dremel jig saw for hobby stuff. Pretty harmless, but if
she likes wood doodads, she could
make funky stuff for her room. There are some little router bits for
Dremel rotary tools - I haven't tried
mine yet.

Sewing, especially quilts. Lots of pretty and easy styles to sew. Boys
and girls should know how to
sew.

In 6th grade, we had a class called "Home Mechanics". Separate classes
for boys and girls (thank God), but
we did the same things: sewed an apron, wired a lamp, made a plexiglass
key chain thingy with initials on it,
cooked spaghetti, cooked Eggs Benedict. The boys made great spaghetti
but didn't drain the pasta; just dumped
the sauce into the pot with water and all ) Probably the most useful
class I took. Sure beat physics )
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

My dad didn't have the interest or the patience for any kind of home
repairs. My mom had a great workshop, which she used until she passed
away at 82. We lived in a rental apartment all my growing-up
years, and it was bare-bones. My mom built and installed kitchen
cabinets, table/booth with benches. Later in life, she took up building
miniature rooms. She had a fully equipped set of miniature tools - lathes,
spoke shaves, all kinds of stuff. She used to get irritated with people
who said she was artistic, because she thought anyone could do what she
did. She was a dainty, white-gloves lady, not a muscular brute.

(But yeah, at 14, they do need to be taught that even NICE boys are
prone to thinking with the small head, given half an excuse.
Everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt, and isolated
places are to be avoided. Not that teenage girls don't get horny as
well, of course.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default eggs benedict???? was Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

Norminn wrote:

snip happens

In 6th grade, we had a class called "Home Mechanics". Separate classes
for boys and girls (thank God), but
we did the same things: sewed an apron, wired a lamp, made a plexiglass
key chain thingy with initials on it,
cooked spaghetti, cooked Eggs Benedict. The boys made great spaghetti
but didn't drain the pasta; just dumped
the sauce into the pot with water and all ) Probably the most useful
class I took. Sure beat physics )

Damn, I wish I'd had that class in HS. I can fix a car and I can fake
sewing competently and I can even do basic carpentry fairly well, but
I'll be damned if I can make anything resembling an edible Hollandaise.
This is a serious failing for me as a) I love Eggs Benedict and b) I
can generally whip together a kick-ass breakfast of pretty much any
other egg, meat, and potato based type.

I do remember an ex of mine being horrified when one morning when she
actually woke up while I was cooking breakfast and discovered the
"secret" behind my fried eggs that she'd never been able to duplicate
(that secret, of course, is bacon grease... mmm, sweet, delicious
cholesterol...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Jan 21, 8:16 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

Chuckle. When one of my nephews was around 5, I gave him one of those
18" long wood-handled Stanley Yankee spiral ratchet screwdrivers for
Xmas. (New-old-stock at a ma'n'pa hardware going out of business.) It
was just like the one my father used to have, and that I started using
at around that age. (no cordless drills or screwdrivers back then.)
Aside from a few pinched fingers and blood blisters, I caught on quick
how to use it. Never heard back from my sister how he made out. She did
have to take away the 10" vise-grips I gave him, though. Last I heard,
he was working as a carpenter on school breaks.

(Looks on Google) Damn- those seem to be made of gold, now- cost more
than a low-end cordless drill.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 11:14*pm, aemeijers wrote:
RickH wrote:
On Jan 21, 8:16 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Spiral screwdrivers are still the best tool for trimming out a house
full of electrical outlets, switches and wall/mud plates. Saves your
wrists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote
Norminn wrote:

In 6th grade, we had a class called "Home Mechanics". Separate classes
for boys and girls (thank God), but
we did the same things: sewed an apron, wired a lamp, made a plexiglass
key chain thingy with initials on it,
cooked spaghetti, cooked Eggs Benedict. The boys made great spaghetti

Cool! Charlotte's taking 'home ec' next year. We arent sure hat they will
teach this time, but it should be good no matter what.

Damn, I wish I'd had that class in HS. I can fix a car and I can fake
sewing competently and I can even do basic carpentry fairly well, but I'll
be damned if I can make anything resembling an edible Hollandaise. This is
a serious failing for me as a) I love Eggs Benedict and b) I can generally
whip together a kick-ass breakfast of pretty much any other egg, meat, and
potato based type.

Grin, seen many a guy move out who'd never cooked before. Sad really, but
there are also lots who can and did as a kid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote

The most vital lesson in life that kids never learn about in school - how
to maintain and do simple repairs
on cars. She wouldn't want her friends to see her working on a car, but

Absolutely. I was pretty much at the mercy of mechanics til I married. Now
my husband is at their mercy g.

I was thinking auto mechanics for 10th grade (next year is 9th with home
ec).

someday she might blow a
guy's mind by getting his jallopy going ) At least teach her to

It works. I've heard the guys rave over how a girlfriend could get in there
and help with changing brakes and such. One of those silent 'selling
points' that come to play when one is over 20 (smile).

recognize basic problems, mebbe charge
a battery (with supervision and adequate safety gear). Don't let her
drive 'til she is 18, at least.

Aww, naw. I'll start teaching her to drive when she's 16 (after a drivers
ed class) and help her get a jalopy of some sort for those first few years.
Virginia is pretty tough on how much one is allowed to do before age 18, but
a car is something she needs to learn before she gets out of the house.

Red Cross First Aid, CPR and babysitting classes.

No particular interest on her part for that, but she's helping me with a
soup kitchen deal (we feed folks on Sunday, not a mega big place but church
run and only operates on Sundays).

Volunteer (our high school gives credit for vol. They may require some
hours.

I hadnt thought to check. Good idea! Could be we are knocking out an
'elective' right now and didnt know it. Charlotte helps make the food we
bring, then helps serve. All food is donated by the church members and a
few strays like us (not church goers but have nothing against it). She's
racking up about 3 hours a week would be my guess.

For fun - tile a trivet or small table top. Can do with ceramic or glass
mosaic, broken pottery, stone, etc.

Humm! Good one there.

Marbled paper. Messy.

Sorry, lost me. I dont know what that is.

Ceramics. Ceramics shops have lots of stuff to make - lamps, platters,
figurines, Christmas deco., mugs,

We have many crafty sets for kids. One is a pottery wheel. I need to get
her more clay for it.

I had a nice Dremel jig saw for hobby stuff. Pretty harmless, but if she
likes wood doodads, she could
make funky stuff for her room. There are some little router bits for
Dremel rotary tools - I haven't tried
mine yet.

So far, functional woodworking is her aim (see the closet idea). I dont
have a dremel but I have many other tools and still adding more. Before we
went to Japan, we had access to our FIL's workshop so didnt buy much. He
actually left it all to us but it got 'disappeared' when the MIL died in
2005 except a few precious things he brought over in person before we left.

Thanks for the ideas!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Norminn wrote:

snip happens

[...]

Get an OLD Betty Crocker cookbook.............1950's or so. You can't
miss with Betty. Of course, the secret to any egg dish to be cooked is
to not have ingredients too hot when the egg is added (one exception -
eggdrop soup). If you like, I can type the recipe and email it )
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote

Norminn wrote:

[...]

My hubby can take any two cans from the cupboard and make a meal of it.
Doesn't matter what they are )
Makes great venison and pheasant ........yum!

Well that was easy ... Sunday afternoon faucet replacement bowgus Home Repair 0 October 29th 06 10:24 PM
Afternoon sun tripping breaker. mndean Home Repair 7 July 26th 06 07:05 AM
Firewood Afternoon George Woodturning 4 February 26th 06 11:31 PM
An afternoon in the shop Glenn Woodworking 0 January 25th 06 01:01 AM