Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

On Jan 21, 9:46*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" nj@roosters. wrote

Heck, at 14 I was using all the power tools. *I think just about

Probably started earlier too though. *Charlotte is allowed some power tools,
but not the big saw. *For example she used the drill to make smaller holes
in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. *The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first use
of new Xmas gift).

hah! I got a new belt sander for xmas as well. I managed to
resurrect an old third-sheet finishing sander that I'd picked out of a
pile that a friend was throwing out (?!?!?!?!) as well as getting a
really nice old (1940's) Craftsman jigsaw and the aforementioned
router from my grandma while I was home for the holidays. So I had a
very tool-enabled holiday. Life could be a LOT worse... although I
still would like to have a table saw and I'm going to have to buy that
myself, I don't know of any that I'm going to inherit (although I did
visit my ancient Delta drill press while at Grandma's, next time I am
going to have to take the pickup truck when I go to visit...)

Anyway, my advice is that while I understand that your more hirsute
half wanted to play with his new toy and that's understandable, I'd
say next time let her do everything, just do a small project so if she
destroys a few pieces of wood it won't be a huge deal to replace.
IMHO doing the tricky parts and getting them right is a huge
confidence builder.

Of course, her mind may not work like mine (in fact, I'd offer my
condolences if it did G) so YMMV...

nate