Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Firewood Afternoon

This was two thirds in the stove, but I couldn't quite wedge it entirely, so
I pulled it and reexamined. Ran some water on the burned edge and gave it a
go this afternoon.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...-The-Stove.jpg

Would have made a platter or shallow bowl about 8 x 2, or this.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...nt=Profile.jpg

Oil shows what caught my eye. The curl will be great.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...nt=Linseed.jpg

Profile is good. Glad I didn't go for the platter. This is about 10 x 3.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...rofile-Oil.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip

Excellent choice!!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:21:48 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

This was two thirds in the stove, but I couldn't quite wedge it entirely, so
I pulled it and reexamined. Ran some water on the burned edge and gave it a
go this afternoon.

Dunno, George.... I think a bowl is supposed to have a rim and walls of uniform
thickness, doesn't it? *g*

Absolutely beautiful wood and work!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

George wrote:
This was two thirds in the stove, but I couldn't quite wedge it entirely, so
I pulled it and reexamined. Ran some water on the burned edge and gave it a
go this afternoon.

Nice save George. Wonder how much choice wood did fit in the stove!
Shudder thinking about it. You can often tell that a piece will have
figure before you cut it. Looking at the photo where you show the bowl
between the butts that you cut off, on the left you can see the outside
of the trunk was wobbly (where the bark is peeled off). This is a dead
giveaway that you're going to have some nice figure. Might want to get
in the habit of pulling away some bark before stoking the fire - unless
you're overflowing with figured wood. We should all have such problems! g

You probably already know all that, but I mention it as newcomers to
turning/woodworking may not...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Might want to get
in the habit of pulling away some bark before stoking the fire - unless
you're overflowing with figured wood. We should all have such problems!

You probably already know all that, but I mention it as newcomers to
turning/woodworking may not...

What's most important is to have bark to pull away. When the bark goes,
radial checks aren't far behind. Swung another piece of similar wood today
that lacked the figure, but came out pleasing as well. As long as the
beech, birch, and straight-grained maple hold out, I'll continue to play
with these soft maple chunks.

Down into single digits again tonight, so I guess I'd better go down and
rake the coals.

Firewood is Good - Beech George Woodturning 1 January 24th 06 05:17 PM
Cherry Firewood toller Woodworking 2 December 29th 04 03:56 PM
Cutting firewood with a table saw ray Woodworking 37 August 8th 04 08:33 PM
Semi OT - Pine Firewood J T Woodworking 10 April 13th 04 01:19 PM
Firewood loads (again) David W.E. Roberts UK diy 6 December 19th 03 09:20 AM