Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Default Firewood Afternoon

George wrote:
This was two thirds in the stove, but I couldn't quite wedge it entirely, so
I pulled it and reexamined. Ran some water on the burned edge and gave it a
go this afternoon.

Nice save George. Wonder how much choice wood did fit in the stove!
Shudder thinking about it. You can often tell that a piece will have
figure before you cut it. Looking at the photo where you show the bowl
between the butts that you cut off, on the left you can see the outside
of the trunk was wobbly (where the bark is peeled off). This is a dead
giveaway that you're going to have some nice figure. Might want to get
in the habit of pulling away some bark before stoking the fire - unless
you're overflowing with figured wood. We should all have such problems! g

You probably already know all that, but I mention it as newcomers to
turning/woodworking may not...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller