Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab Dr. Hardcrab is offline

Default Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

"cshenk" wrote in message
Figured some of you might have some tips here too. On weekends in the
winter, the kid gets pretty bored and since she's 14, we've been starting
her on small safe projects. She can handle a hammer and nails at this
age, but we don't let her use the electric saw (she marks, Daddy cuts).

Today, she finished off a wooden toy box out of some leftover plywood.
The top makes a seat when down and it's going to double as a chair before
the electric piano.

It started as a 2x4 'box', heavy framed (more than actually needed) and
then the plywood was nailed to that and smoothed down with Daddy's help
and the sander. She did the finishing hand sanding touches. Then,
digging through my fabric piles, she picked out a pretty black cotton with
little violets and we brushed glue all over it then cloth covered it. A
little lacey trim here and there, and it looks pretty cool! I even had a
fairly close matching cushion to put ontop.

It's drying now. I figure about 2 days for hard set of the thicker glue
around the lace trim.

Anyone got any neat ideas for teaching kids that I might find handy? With
supervision of course.

At 14 you mightwant to teach her about boys....