Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

"Nate Nagel" nj@roosters. wrote

Heck, at 14 I was using all the power tools. I think just about

Probably started earlier too though. Charlotte is allowed some power tools,
but not the big saw. For example she used the drill to make smaller holes
in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first use
of new Xmas gift).

anything she wants to do is fine, ASSuming that she's responsible and
careful and supervised by someone who can advise proper safety
precautions.

Yes, she's real good about safety glasses and such. We only got stateside a
little over 3 months ago and in Sasebo, we had no tools for this type of
project so she's learning how to use them.

I'm glad to see that she's showing an interest in making stuff on her own
and that you are encouraging it. I'm starting to think that I was on the
tail end of child-rearing when kids were generally allowed and encouraged
to *do* stuff as opposed to just calling a plumber, handyman, etc...

Well, Mom raised us 3 kids to be fairly efficient with quite a few household
things. I guess the new term for how she made her living is 'flipping' and
we 3 kids and her did pretty good at it. Each of us specialized in some
areas. I did the wood porches from treated lumber, and did wallpaper for
example. My brother and Sister don't really know how to do either one.

Of course, my parents being hard-core DIYers and chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal to
boot didn't hurt, in my case. I probably end up doing stuff myself that I
would have been better off paying someone to do, but at least I know
whether it was done well or not.

Grin, I know the feeling. I pay for some things. I am still very
uncomfortable working with electricity for example and contract that out. I
am waiting for the contractor to put in a new tub (just too big for us to
manage) but we replace toilets and sinks ourselves.

But back to your original question; have you considered checking out a
good bookstore and seeing if there's a woodworking magazine that regularly
publishes project plans? might get some ideas in there, and

Yes, but figured asking a few real people what worked for them might be fun
and who knows, there might be a parent out there who hasnt really thought
about teaching their kids such skills.

they've published a book of plans all collated together. Another idea
would be scavenging junk sales for old furniture to refinish, if she

Oh we do that! It's a hobby of Don's. We sell it later for a small profit
or gift it to charity. It's just the wrong season for us here to do much of
that. The box was done on the kitchen floor (tarp under it) but anything
really big that involves stains etc needs to be in the garage and it's below
32F here now.

Or you could send her over here and I can start teaching her how to make
paneled doors (got my grandpa's old router over xmas, happy happy joy
joy)

Grin, I would love a good dowler. Makes round spindles unless I've muffed
the name of the tool. I've used one in the past for making nice porch parts
but havent touched one for 30 years since.