Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Just for fun, an afternoon with the kid

"N8N" wrote

in the 2x4's so she could nail it easier. The sander though is tricky
freehand stuff for this type of project and Don wanted to do that (first
use
of new Xmas gift).

hah! I got a new belt sander for xmas as well. I managed to
resurrect an old third-sheet finishing sander that I'd picked out of a
pile that a friend was throwing out (?!?!?!?!) as well as getting a

Cool! Ours is a simple craftsman hand held sander withthe round disc. It
was a bit overpowered for this job. I guess maybe we should have let her
run it, but at the start Don wasnt sure of the arm strength needed for it.
Rather than create a hazard with an unfamiliar new tool, she held the box so
he could press the sander on the edges.

Anyway, my advice is that while I understand that your more hirsute
half wanted to play with his new toy and that's understandable, I'd
say next time let her do everything, just do a small project so if she
destroys a few pieces of wood it won't be a huge deal to replace.
IMHO doing the tricky parts and getting them right is a huge
confidence builder.

Agreed. The wood is no issue. No reason for you to recall but we are the
ones who moved back from Sasebo Japan just recently and are having to fix
tons of things. So, we got wood bits of all sorts laying about.

She has a next project in mind. Our closets are the old small style. She
is plotting out how to use some 1x2 framing wood to make a riser and then
set a second pole lower down. She's not sure how to cut the round hole so I
let her chew it over. She figured out a method with just making as 'u' on
both sides to set it in grin. Hey, works for me! I have about 36ft of
that smaller framing wood leftover from doing the porch screening.

Her plan is to make a 3 sided box about 3 feet up then run risers from the
floor up to it to reinforce it. Using that to stabilize, she then wants to
run more risers upwards and raise the top bar which is set low in her closet
(kids room design) to 6ft then put a shelf at the top. The back bar wouldnt
be needed except she wants the extra to support the shelf and anything heavy
she may want to put up there. It will also allow her to put a shelf on the
lower level.

I have to get her 1 item. A round bar for the lower portion.

She likes the fabric look of the toy box, so asked how to do that for the
closet. It's easy. You dip the wood in a bit of glue after cutting and
wrap in fabric then let dry. Nail in place with back edge to the wall.
Those smallish short flat nails with widish heads hold the fabric at the top
and bottom of each wood piece so it doesnt show any raw wood at the joints.
(hope I'm describing this clear enough to be followed).

I remember we did this with a kids room closet when Mom was fixing up
houses. Sensibly we had to use a dark fabric as it doesnt come off and cant
really be painted over the years. I've also used wallpaper for similar but
you need really smoothe wood or it will come apart.

I have some dark blue (almost black) fabric with tiny flowers and little
bears. About 3 yards which will be plenty. Oh, if considering such, do not
cover the round bar as it wont hold up to the hangars over time. Just paint
that and repaint as needed.

(reality, she doesnt need the back bar and it's risers but I think with the
fabric look, it will be nice and it's her closet project! so hush! Let her
plot).

Now, for parent help: We will use the table saw after she marks the wood.
We have enough that if she mismarks, we can make more. We will help her
hold it in place before fabric'ing to check measures. She will do any hand
lathe smoothing after checking with a level to see what's needed. I don't
think she'll need any more help other than holding parts while she nails.
Maybe I'll wrap the first wood piece so she knows how to cover the edges
without making a bulge.