Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on caulking gaps on baseboard molding

I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint
it the color of the wall?

Whichever is easier. There are no baseboard caulk color police.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 06:49:54 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?

I usually use a putty knife to smooth the caulk flush with top of the
baseboard and leave a sharp line at the wall. The I paint the base and
caulk the same color.

I think what looks bad is if the wall color ends up on any of the
horizontal surface at the top of the base. But as previous poster
said, it comes down to what looks good to *you*.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?

I usually use a putty knife to smooth the caulk flush with top of the
baseboard and leave a sharp line at the wall. The I paint the base and
caulk the same color. *

I think what looks bad is if the wall color ends up on any of the
horizontal surface at the top of the base. *But as previous poster
said, it comes down to what looks good to *you*.

Paul F.

The reason I ask is that when I did a few searches, it suggested
painting the caulk the color of the wall. If thats the case, then I
would have to repaint my entire walls since the paint I used 3 years
ago is old and would not match, and even if I got a fresh batch from
the paint store, I doubt it would match. It seems easier just to paint
the caulk white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's a novel idea. Use painter's white latex caulk and don't
paint anything.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and
the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall
which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will
be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to
paint it
the color of the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's almost guaranteed that whether you paint the caulk to match the
wall or to match the baseboard you're the only one who will ever
notice.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?

. . .
when I did a few searches, it suggested
painting the caulk the color of the wall. If thats the case, then I
would have to repaint my entire walls since the paint I used 3 years
ago is old and would not match . . .

1. If your paint changed colour in the can in three years,
this suggests you bought the cheap stuff in the first place . . .

2. Instead of caulking, the easiest way to fill baseboard
gaps is by laying another strip of moulding, as small as you
can obtain, just wide enough to fill or hide the gap, whether
along the wall or along the floor. These thin strips can be
conveniently painted before fastening in place, whether you
choose the baseboard colour or the wall colour.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few pieces of baseboard molding I need to install and the
walls are less than perfect. There are a few bumps in tha wall which
means I will have to caulk the gaps on top. These moldings will be
painted white. My question is after you caulk, are you suppose to
paint the caulk white( same as molding) or are you suppose to paint it
the color of the wall?

Use the same color caulk as the molding. If need be, paint the caulk
the same color as the molding.