Posted to alt.home.repair

Default filling gaps between reducer molding & tile floor

I have an oak reducer molding that goes against my kitchen tile floor
and on my oak floor in the dining room. When I tested the fit, there
were some small gaps between the tile and molding, anotherwords the
tiles are not lined up perfectly straight. Only like an 1/8" max in
some spots. what is the bets way to fill this gap? I thought caulk,
grout, or thinset. I'm not sure about caulk since it would get dirty.
Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 6:22 am, Mikepier wrote:
I have an oak reducer molding that goes against my kitchen tile floor
and on my oak floor in the dining room. When I tested the fit, there
were some small gaps between the tile and molding, anotherwords the
tiles are not lined up perfectly straight. Only like an 1/8" max in
some spots. what is the bets way to fill this gap? I thought caulk,
grout, or thinset. I'm not sure about caulk since it would get dirty.
Any ideas?

They make sanded caulk for just such situations. If the BORG doesn't
have it, try a real tile store. Liable to be a special order to get a
color match with your grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They make sanded caulk for just such situations. If the BORG doesn't
have it, try a real tile store. Liable to be a special order to get a
color match with your grout.

I've seen the sanded grout.
This is a new tile job and I have leftover grout. Could I just mix
some up and apply some against the tile so when I put the molding
against it it would fill the seams nice and tight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 9:34 am, Mikepier wrote:
They make sanded caulk for just such situations. If the BORG doesn't
have it, try a real tile store. Liable to be a special order to get a
color match with your grout.

I've seen the sanded grout.
This is a new tile job and I have leftover grout. Could I just mix
some up and apply some against the tile so when I put the molding
against it it would fill the seams nice and tight?

Yep. Use some painter's tape to mask off the tile and the reducer
strip so you don't make a huge cleanup PIA for yourself.

Depending on the wood/grout interaction, it may stain the reducer's
front edge (won't bleed through the 'meat' of the reducer). Hit the
unfinished underside of the strip with shellac before bedding it in
the grout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 7:22 am, Mikepier wrote:
I have an oak reducer molding that goes against my kitchen tile floor
and on my oak floor in the dining room. When I tested the fit, there
were some small gaps between the tile and molding, anotherwords the
tiles are not lined up perfectly straight. Only like an 1/8" max in
some spots. what is the bets way to fill this gap? I thought caulk,
grout, or thinset. I'm not sure about caulk since it would get dirty.
Any ideas?

There are acrylic latex caulks that go for 2-3$ a tube and dry almost
clear. They make a nice clean looking job of spots like this.

repairing oak reducer molding on the floor Mikepier Home Repair 0 October 27th 07 02:09 PM
Filling ceiling gaps Hank Home Repair 3 November 26th 06 12:43 AM
Filling gaps in a deck Eric Cathell Woodworking 6 May 2nd 06 02:04 PM
Filling gaps around baths Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 12 March 22nd 06 10:52 PM
Filling floor board gaps Broadback UK diy 2 June 2nd 05 12:57 AM