Broadback

Default Filling floor board gaps

I am working on a 1930s house, and have replaced some of the floorboards
in the bedroom. Sadly they are narrower than the existing ones so I
have gaps between. Bearing in mind that, sooner or later, they will
have to be removed (it might be me!) to gain access to wiring and water
pipes any ideas as to what to plug the gap with. Or, as the room will
be carpeted, shall I just get a paper underlay put down?
TIA
Rick

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:08:58 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I am working on a 1930s house, and have replaced some of the floorboards
in the bedroom. Sadly they are narrower than the existing ones so I
have gaps between. Bearing in mind that, sooner or later, they will
have to be removed (it might be me!) to gain access to wiring and water
pipes any ideas as to what to plug the gap with. Or, as the room will
be carpeted, shall I just get a paper underlay put down?
TIA

I fill these type of gaps with chipboard, that can be cut to size
shape.

The guy that had my house before me cut out loads of small bits of
board, and I had a right pile of bit and bobs, now is one rather weid
shaped bit of chipboard screwed down. With carpet over the top, you
have no idea its there.

Rick

andrewpreece

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am working on a 1930s house, and have replaced some of the floorboards
in the bedroom. Sadly they are narrower than the existing ones so I
have gaps between. Bearing in mind that, sooner or later, they will
have to be removed (it might be me!) to gain access to wiring and water
pipes any ideas as to what to plug the gap with. Or, as the room will
be carpeted, shall I just get a paper underlay put down?
TIA

Not what you want to hear, but if you had gone along to a local timber
merchant
or timber mill and bought over-sized metric floorboards, they might have
put them through a thicknesser/planer for you to get the exact size you
needed.
I found an old boy at a local builders' merchant with a thicknesser and he
did a few planks for free.

I am assuming you bought metric boards in the next width down from the
required
imperial size, and I expect they're about a millimetre too thick too?

Andy.

floorboard gap filling doozer UK diy 15 March 8th 05 01:32 PM
filling gaps in wood flooring AFTER already refinished? [email protected] Home Repair 9 December 23rd 04 07:42 PM
Sanding Floor - filling cracks with sawdust and glue Dave Young UK diy 7 November 14th 04 06:03 PM
How do I use the filling loop? Zara UK diy 5 October 2nd 04 07:45 PM
Wooden Floor Adam UK diy 17 November 8th 03 01:57 PM