Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caulking wood floor seam under baseboard heat

The house has baseboard hot water heating.
Under the baseboard are wooden quarter-round
molding strips. Some of the strips are loose
and cold air comes out around all the moldings
on exterior walls.

How is the best way to seal these seams. There
is no real way to get the molding out, except
possibly in pieces. I think, though, that I can put
some nails into them to pin down the loose ones.
Whatever I use has to be able to handle the heat
of the baseboard radiator all winter.

Any ideas?

-P
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Dampney/Products.asp?ID=43

Also, use Google to search for other products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 6:38 pm, "Charles" wrote:
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Dampney/Products.asp?ID=43

Also, use Google to search for other products.

You can try Great Stuff expandable foam insulation. Get the low
expanding can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 4:44 pm, wrote:
The house has baseboard hot water heating.
Under the baseboard are wooden quarter-round
molding strips. Some of the strips are loose
and cold air comes out around all the moldings
on exterior walls.

How is the best way to seal these seams. There
is no real way to get the molding out, except
possibly in pieces. I think, though, that I can put
some nails into them to pin down the loose ones.
Whatever I use has to be able to handle the heat
of the baseboard radiator all winter.

Any ideas?

Use almost any caulk you want except silicone - it will mess up
attempts to paint or refinish the floor.. Baseboards don't get that
hot to affect any normal caulk. Mask off the seam on both sides and
push the caulk into the joint.