Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HID car head lights

A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

You get what you pay for... There are many "HID" kits out there are aren't
actually HID - they're just high wattage bulbs with a normal filament.

IIRC, a true HID does not have a filament in the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 9:02*pm, "Calab" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

You get what you pay for... There are many "HID" kits out there are aren't
actually HID - they're just high wattage bulbs with a normal filament.

IIRC, a true HID does not have a filament in the bulb.

The kits I have seen have a ballast-ignitor and HID bulbs, Bosch is
well known and is sold cheaply now
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 10:14�pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 20, 9:02�pm, "Calab" wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message

A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

You get what you pay for... There are many "HID" kits out there are aren't
actually HID - they're just high wattage bulbs with a normal filament.

IIRC, a true HID does not have a filament in the bulb.

The kits I have seen have a ballast-ignitor and HID bulbs, Bosch is
well known and is sold cheaply now

i am interested in this too, seeing kits for high and low beam for my
mid 90s caravans just over 200 bucks/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 20, 9:02 pm, "Calab" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

You get what you pay for... There are many "HID" kits out there are
aren't
actually HID - they're just high wattage bulbs with a normal filament.

IIRC, a true HID does not have a filament in the bulb.

The kits I have seen have a ballast-ignitor and HID bulbs, Bosch is
well known and is sold cheaply now

I'd definately like to know where I could get a $50 HID kit for my 93 Mazda
626

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 12:21*am, wrote:
In article , says...

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:36:56 -0800, ransley wrote:

A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

Well I can't even buy a pair of 9007 Sylvania SilverStar halogen bulbs
for under $50 bucks so I don't see how an HID kit is going to cost under
that.

I just replaced a pair of 9003 Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for under $30,
a pair is $25 on-line but I didn't want to drive around with one burned
out waiting for the mail.

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. *Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Check out ebay Bosch HID
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

Check out ebay Bosch HID

$75 shipping... ya, right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Calab wrote:

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

Check out ebay Bosch HID

$75 shipping... ya, right.

Harbor Freight has some HID kits now, item 96637, 96639, 96640. They do
indeed appear to be real HIDs with remote ballast modules and they claim
DOT certification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 4:59*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Calab wrote:

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

Check out ebay Bosch HID

$75 shipping... ya, right.

Harbor Freight has some HID kits now, item 96637, 96639, 96640. They do
indeed appear to be real HIDs with remote ballast modules and they claim
DOT certification.

Oh for the days of the hi/low $3 sealed beam at Canadian Tire!

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 21, 8:59*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Calab wrote:

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

Check out ebay Bosch HID

$75 shipping... ya, right.

Harbor Freight has some HID kits now, item 96637, 96639, 96640. They do
indeed appear to be real HIDs with remote ballast modules and they claim
DOT certification.

I wouldn't trust any HID kit that only replaces the bulb inside an
existing reflector/lens assembly. If they are complete replacements
for a sealed beam lamp they might be OK but I suspect that you might
get better results simply by using E-code sealed beam replacements and
a relay harness to increase the voltage to the bulbs. check out
Daniel Stern Lighting (he has a website) for ideas.

If you have aero-style headlights IMHO the only way to do HIDs
properly is to use a full kit specifically designed for your car,
either by getting factory-optional HIDs from a junkyard or one of the
rare instances where there may be an aftermarket kit that completely
replaces the lens and reflector with one designed specifically for
HIDs.

Also, keep in mind that there are legal ramifications to modifying
your headlights; even E-codes are not technically legal in most
states. If you go with HIDs make sure that your lights as a complete
assembly are DOT approved, or at least ECE approved (will not be
technically legal, but will at least give you assurance that you will
have a safe, useful, non-glaring system.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain to
drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish they would
ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better design.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 21, 11:56*am, George wrote:
ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain to
drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish they would
ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better design.

The problem is the crappy DOT beam pattern. ECE regs require a
sharper low beam upper cutoff and also self-levelers for HIDs so glare
is only a problem when an oncoming vehicle crests a hill etc. However
NHTSA will not adopt the ECE beam pattern, possibly because of NIH
syndrome. Too bad, because they really are superior. I have ECE
halogens (H4 bulbs in a Cibie E-code reflector/lens assembly) in the
Fabulous BeaterPorsche and I couldn't be happier with the results;
excellent light output on both low and high beam with no glare (I've
had people follow me while I was driving another car on several
occasions, and I'm a fairly glare-sensitive person; a Ford truck, say,
will make my rear view mirror pretty much unusable.) The only
downside is that my setup is technically illegal although it would be
perfectly acceptable in Europe.

If you do buy E-code lights, be aware that the beam pattern is
different depending on which side of the road you drive on, as the
beam pattern kicks up on the curb side on low beam to illuminate
roadside signs. So a light from Germany, say, would work well in the
US but a light from England would not.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:

On Dec 21, 8:59 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Calab wrote:

[...]

They claim DOT certification, though whether that is legit or not is
debatable. I wouldn't consider them for replacing the regular low beam
on my truck (9006), but would consider them for the high beams (9005)
and as a starting point for custom off road lights since I seem to be
spending more and more time off road lately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
FlavorFlav wrote:

George wrote in
:

ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain to
drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish they would
ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better design.

They feel like lasers burning my eyes out.

Yep. I'm working on a new laser now. One that I can shoot from my car
that blows out those ****ing things from oncoming cars. Second offense,
shoot out the tires, third offense, shoot the driver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
George wrote in
:

ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain to
drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish they would
ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better design.

They feel like lasers burning my eyes out.

just drive with your eyes closed. that's what i do. i have to wear earplugs
though.

too much screaming from the passenger.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
FlavorFlav wrote:

George wrote in
:

ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe
$45 US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are
these any good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it
sounds like a cheap and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain
to drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish
they would ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better
design.

They feel like lasers burning my eyes out.

Yep. I'm working on a new laser now. One that I can shoot from my car
that blows out those ****ing things from oncoming cars. Second
offense, shoot out the tires, third offense, shoot the driver.

Dear Smitty Two,

may I be the first purchaser of your new product?

These lights are an abhorance that are not required, (just makes the
prats using them feel good whilst blinding all about).

I'd love to know how many accidents they have caused as a result of
oncoming motorists being blinded.

Here in the UK, we now have an added harassment which adds to the pain:
speed bumps that enable the users to blind oncoming drivers more
frequently!

I hope that your product includes both a homing device and retractable
machine gun hidden in the fender.

I attach my cheque for $1,000,000 for the first off the assembly line.

Yours

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"clot" wrote:

I hope that your product includes both a homing device and retractable
machine gun hidden in the fender.

Laser only in the front, auto-targeting and tracking. Quad-fifty in the
back for tailgaters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
ransley wrote:
A few years ago it cost nearly $1000.00 US to convert to HID, now I
see "kits" avalaible for $40-50 USD. I saw a Bosch kit for maybe $45
US , [ Bosch is well known to not make anything junk] are these any
good. if so for a person with aging night eyes, it sounds like a cheap
and great way to get " light"

We have a lot of two lane roads around here and it is really a pain to
drive at night with the glare from HID lights. I really wish they would
ban them unless manufacturers can come up with a better design.

I just give them full brights.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"clot" wrote:

I hope that your product includes both a homing device and
retractable machine gun hidden in the fender.

Laser only in the front, auto-targeting and tracking. Quad-fifty in
the back for tailgaters.

Excellent - tailgaters, too!

When will it be ready; I can't wait?