Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default HID car head lights

N8N wrote:

On Dec 21, 8:59 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Calab wrote:

I'd considered the HID replacements, they really are available for $50
and up with Bosch HID bulbs and off-brand ballasts, but for my Subaru's
9003 bulbs, they'd become low-beam only. Not really what I want, so I
stuck with halogen.

Check out ebay Bosch HID

$75 shipping... ya, right.

Harbor Freight has some HID kits now, item 96637, 96639, 96640. They do
indeed appear to be real HIDs with remote ballast modules and they claim
DOT certification.

I wouldn't trust any HID kit that only replaces the bulb inside an
existing reflector/lens assembly. If they are complete replacements
for a sealed beam lamp they might be OK but I suspect that you might
get better results simply by using E-code sealed beam replacements and
a relay harness to increase the voltage to the bulbs. check out
Daniel Stern Lighting (he has a website) for ideas.

If you have aero-style headlights IMHO the only way to do HIDs
properly is to use a full kit specifically designed for your car,
either by getting factory-optional HIDs from a junkyard or one of the
rare instances where there may be an aftermarket kit that completely
replaces the lens and reflector with one designed specifically for
HIDs.

Also, keep in mind that there are legal ramifications to modifying
your headlights; even E-codes are not technically legal in most
states. If you go with HIDs make sure that your lights as a complete
assembly are DOT approved, or at least ECE approved (will not be
technically legal, but will at least give you assurance that you will
have a safe, useful, non-glaring system.)

nate

They claim DOT certification, though whether that is legit or not is
debatable. I wouldn't consider them for replacing the regular low beam
on my truck (9006), but would consider them for the high beams (9005)
and as a starting point for custom off road lights since I seem to be
spending more and more time off road lately.