Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to repair hole in ice bin?

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 4:31�pm, willshak wrote:
on 12/15/2007 1:13 PM The True King of Argentina said the following:

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. �It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. �I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. �That works for a few
weeks. �Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? �I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

have you compared the size of current bins with yours? current one may
be usabler
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 1:13 pm, The True King of Argentina
wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Hey...the broken piece in contact with the ice?? If so, be very
cautious about epoxy's, puttys and glues...even if not poisonous, may
impart taste / oder..to the ice.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
on 12/15/2007 1:13 PM The True King of Argentina said the following:

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

JB-weld is a good 2-part epoxy. I'd remove it completely and work on it
clean, warm, and dry however.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

The True King of Argentina wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

You need to identify the plastic to see what possible glues to use.
If room, you could consider adding reinforcement like a piece of glass
fabric.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Check Wal Mart for a two part plastic "weld". I used some on a car fan
shroud that was cracked in half and it held up beautifully. (was gonna
give you the exact name but I can't find it, but IIRC it came in two
syringes and not tubes)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Check Wal Mart for a two part plastic "weld". I used some on a car fan
shroud that was cracked in half and it held up beautifully. (was gonna
give you the exact name but I can't find it, but IIRC it came in two
syringes and not tubes)

I 99% sure it was "Loctite Plastic Epoxy" and it was about $7.00.