Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Default Cinder Block hole repair...

Here is the situation...

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that have been
knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is the best way
to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes with cement - ultimately
going to paint the walls?

Any suggestion for quick, easy and cheap repair?

Structural integrity not an issue.

Cost is a major factor as this is a middle school field with zero funding.
I'll probably end up doing this out of my own pocket.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve" wrote in message
What is the best way to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes
with cement - ultimately going to paint the walls?

Stuff them with anything that will hold up for a while and is inert.
Fiberglass insulation comes to mind. They just patching cement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"Steve" wrote in message
Here is the situation...

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that have been
knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is the best
way to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes with cement -
ultimately going to paint the walls?

Any suggestion for quick, easy and cheap repair?

Structural integrity not an issue.

Cost is a major factor as this is a middle school field with zero funding.
I'll probably end up doing this out of my own pocket.

Get a can of the expanding foam (5$) squirt it in the hole to give you a
backing for the cement. Get a small bag of cement (5$) mix it up a bit on
the dry side and patch the holes. Did this at my kids field about 3 years
ago, still looks awesome.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

"Brian V" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Here is the situation...

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that have been
knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is the best
way to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes with cement -
ultimately going to paint the walls?

Any suggestion for quick, easy and cheap repair?

Structural integrity not an issue.

Cost is a major factor as this is a middle school field with zero
funding. I'll probably end up doing this out of my own pocket.

Get a can of the expanding foam (5$) squirt it in the hole to give you a
backing for the cement. Get a small bag of cement (5$) mix it up a bit on
the dry side and patch the holes. Did this at my kids field about 3 years
ago, still looks awesome.

This is what I was wondering whether or not using Great Stuff or something
similar would be OK - just to fill most of the void.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Brian V" wrote in message
:
: "Steve" wrote in message
: ...
: Here is the situation...
:
[...]
Wet the blocks before you apply the cement so it'll adhere best.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

This might get a lot of jeers and boos from those here who might have
better ideas, but if you're not concerned about structural strength and
ARE concerned about cost and ease of repair...

try filling the cavity with an expandable foam (Great Stuff - original,
not the low-expanding). Once that sets and hardens, cut out enough of
the hardened foam so that you can then cover the hole with some
concrete using the remaining foam as a backer (glass-reinforced
quickrete might be the ticket here). It's not the most elegant fix,
but it'll be relatively quick and cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:41:49 -0600, "Steve" wrote:

"Brian V" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe just some newspaper stuffed in good to hold the cement from the
back, until set. If foam I'd wait for it to set and cut off what
protrudes and even pick a little more out to get the cement at least
as thick as the block side. Newspaper might make the task a one time
trip. Sand?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:55:09 -0600, "Steve" wrote:

Here is the situation...

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that have been
knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is the best way
to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes with cement - ultimately
going to paint the walls?

Any suggestion for quick, easy and cheap repair?

Structural integrity not an issue.

Cost is a major factor as this is a middle school field with zero funding.
I'll probably end up doing this out of my own pocket.

You don't need to fill the cavities to patch the holes with cement.
You SHOULD be able to just fill stuff "snowballs" of slightly dry
mortar into the holes, and scrape them flush. If the holes are
too big for that, do it the same way you'd do a drywall patch,
put two dabs of glue on either end of a stick, put the stick in the
hole, and pull back as it bridges the gap. let the glue dry,
then come back and smear cement over the hole.

If you really WANT to fill the cavity completely, use dirt, sand,
and/or cement. Remember to hide a speaker in there so you can
come back and haunt the place, later.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

It is very difficult to match the texture of cement blocks. Most
patches come out too smooth and shiny and look like patches. I
have great success with Structolite and grow foam. For
Structolite, you need a filler for the block cavity like
insulation/newspaper, fill the hole, let set, saw off with sharp
edged board before full set. This will paint in just like the
block if you leave the porous, torn face. You can also strike in
mortar joints as required. The other method is to blow the cavity
full of grow foam, let it expand right on out of the hole. Next
day saw it off flush with an old beater hand saw; again the
porous, ragged face will paint in like block. The grow foam is
subject to degradation with UV light, but if you paint the block
and foam you prevent the UV problem.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Steve" wrote in message
Here is the situation...

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that
have been knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is
the best way to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes
with cement - ultimately going to paint the walls?

Any suggestion for quick, easy and cheap repair?

Structural integrity not an issue.

Cost is a major factor as this is a middle school field with
zero funding. I'll probably end up doing this out of my own
pocket.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Steve :

We have some (4-5 holes from 1" to 4" in diameter) holes that have been
knocked into the wall of some baseball dugouts.

The 1" holes are no problem but the bigger holes are. What is the best way
to fill the cavities so that we can patch the holes with cement - ultimately
going to paint the walls?

Newspaper is one cheap way. Broken up styrofoam chunks from packaging
would also work.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est