DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to repair hole in ice bin? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/226253-how-repair-hole-ice-bin.html)

The True King of Argentina December 15th 07 06:13 PM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

willshak December 15th 07 09:31 PM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

[email protected] December 16th 07 12:16 AM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

On Dec 15, 4:31�pm, willshak wrote:
on 12/15/2007 1:13 PM The True King of Argentina said the following:

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. �It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. �I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. �That works for a few
weeks. �Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? �I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

have you compared the size of current bins with yours? current one may
be usabler

Roof Time Cincinnati December 16th 07 05:12 AM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

On Dec 15, 1:13 pm, The True King of Argentina
wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Hey...the broken piece in contact with the ice?? If so, be very
cautious about epoxy's, puttys and glues...even if not poisonous, may
impart taste / oder..to the ice.......

Nate Nagel December 16th 07 01:36 PM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

willshak wrote:
on 12/15/2007 1:13 PM The True King of Argentina said the following:

A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/welders.html

JB-weld is a good 2-part epoxy. I'd remove it completely and work on it
clean, warm, and dry however.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Frank December 16th 07 05:07 PM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

The True King of Argentina wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

You need to identify the plastic to see what possible glues to use.
If room, you could consider adding reinforcement like a piece of glass
fabric.

Ron December 16th 07 11:43 PM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Check Wal Mart for a two part plastic "weld". I used some on a car fan
shroud that was cracked in half and it held up beautifully. (was gonna
give you the exact name but I can't find it, but IIRC it came in two
syringes and not tubes)

Ron December 17th 07 12:05 AM

How to repair hole in ice bin?

wrote:
A large piece of my ice bin broke off, right under the auger. It is a
17 year old Whirlpool with ice maker. I think a large chunk of ice
got stuck in the auger and was pushed down to break out the hole.

I have previously repaired it with duct tape. That works for a few
weeks. Anyone know of a better way, maybe some sort of glue? I could
replace the bin for the low low price of $53.

Check Wal Mart for a two part plastic "weld". I used some on a car fan
shroud that was cracked in half and it held up beautifully. (was gonna
give you the exact name but I can't find it, but IIRC it came in two
syringes and not tubes)

I 99% sure it was "Loctite Plastic Epoxy" and it was about $7.00.