Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backyard Rink?

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article J742j.3545$HH2.3345@edtnps82,
"C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Huh? Are you talking about an ice skating rink? All we ever used for
that was a hose left on for a couple of days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 8:22 pm, "C_L_R_D" wrote:
Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

How permanent are you looking to make this? The 2x10's are overkill
in any event. If the soil is level 2x4s will be plenty deep. A water
level would work better for leveling the site. I'd also consider
using composite lumber instead of treated - it'd look better, wouldn't
splinter and there'd be no treated chemicals leaching into the soil
near you garden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 8:22 pm, "C_L_R_D" wrote:
Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

How permanent are you looking to make this? The 2x10's are overkill
in any event. If the soil is level 2x4s will be plenty deep. A water
level would work better for leveling the site. I'd also consider
using composite lumber instead of treated - it'd look better, wouldn't
splinter and there'd be no treated chemicals leaching into the soil
near you garden.

Not permanent as I want to garden there in the summer but have a rink there
every winter my son is 3 and can skate now. I thought 50' by 24' would be a
good size.

CL

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
"C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Huh? Are you talking about an ice skating rink? All we ever used for
that was a hose left on for a couple of days.

We can have mild days followed by very cold weather and around here they say
to use a tarp to pervent a wash out.??
CL

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article iPd2j.30455$Zn.9245@edtnps90,
"C_L_R_D" wrote:

news
"C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Huh? Are you talking about an ice skating rink? All we ever used for
that was a hose left on for a couple of days.

We can have mild days followed by very cold weather and around here they say
to use a tarp to pervent a wash out.??
CL

Ah, don't know about that then. When I was a kid it stayed below
freezing for four months, at least. At least three neighborhood yards
were made into ice rinks every year, including ours, without tarps or
boards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.

I did a 20x40 foot rink for several years- my son and several of his
hockey buddies spent a lot of time on it.

The only think I had any luck joining or patching poly with in cold,
wet conditions was 'Wet and Dry'[?] roof patching compound. Get a
gallon can and a pair of rubber gloves - it's messy, but it will
stick or patch.

I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

My technique was to get out as soon as the frost got into the ground
and put about an inch of water down. As soon as that froze I'd add a
half inch- and repeat until I had 4-5 inches.

Then all winter, I played Zamboni with the hose and kept adding ice.
Sometimes I'd end up with 10 inches of ice- which sometimes would get
me through a short thaw in the spring.

Other hockey parents made their frame and filled it with 4-6 inches of
water a week before it was supposed to start freezing. [the lead time
was to let the air get out of the water- I never had any luck with
this technique.]

Every so often, for a fleeting moment, I think longingly of the old
lawn rink--- then I slap myself and thank God #1 son doesn't play
hockey anymore.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:22:49 GMT, "C_L_R_D"
wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Canadian Tire carries 'EZ Rink Kit', 15'x23' which you fill and then
layer ice on top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 1:44 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 24, 8:22 pm, "C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

How permanent are you looking to make this? The 2x10's are overkill
in any event. If the soil is level 2x4s will be plenty deep. A water
level would work better for leveling the site. I'd also consider
using composite lumber instead of treated - it'd look better, wouldn't
splinter and there'd be no treated chemicals leaching into the soil
near you garden.

2x10's needed to keep the puck in the rink
Posted to alt.home.repair

Around here we always had to have some barrier under the ice, or lose a
lot of water to soaking into the ground, even if you waited until the
ground had apparently frozen. Who knows how global warming, even if it
is only temporary, will affect this.

We never had board around our home rinks; just a berm of snow. The rule
was if you put the puck out of play, you had to chase it, which was some
incentive to learn to pass accurately.

I know the kids don't really like it, but if you want to become a good
hockey player, you start by learning to skate, and you don't carry a
stick while you are doing it. Figure skaters, no matter what one thinks
of them, are stronger and more knowledgeable skaters than hockey
players, and the figure skaters learn to skate without a stick. Too
many kids lean on their stick, or try to use it as a balancing bar, and
all of that gets in the way of really learning to skate. Once they have
mastered skating and start to use sticks, your mini-boards won't be much
help, as its pretty easy to accidentally loft a puck over such a low
barrier. So I would stick with a cheaper and easier snow berm; you will
need the money for fixing broken windows, which you will want to
consider in locating your rink.

You might look into a cheap laser for leveling your site; you can use it
to set up some stakes pretty easily.

C_L_R_D wrote:
Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.
I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

CathyLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know its not level but close... so that why the 2 * 10 s It is very very
wet here (clay) now ..I had planned on tilling it up and leveling it but now
I may be hauling in sand or fill. The site is a empty lot next to the house
lot.
CathyLee

"still just me" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:23:42 GMT, "C_L_R_D"
wrote:

We can have mild days followed by very cold weather and around here they
say
to use a tarp to pervent a wash out.??
CL

Unless your lot is unlike any I've ever been on, it's not even close
to level, no matter what it looks like. Do some site work first, see
how much it's off.

Once you have an idea of level, then you'll have an idea of how tall
the boards have to be to even get close. You need a few inches of ice
every where just to make it solid, so plan for that. After that, the
boards are need to contain the puck, so work up from there.

Plastic is definitely needed to reduce seepage unless your area never
warms until the season is over.

[OT] Ice rink energy consumption Vortex UK diy 18 November 24th 05 10:23 AM
Please help with mud in backyard Dave Home Ownership 2 February 28th 05 09:56 PM
Backyard Ponds Evon Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 08:47 PM
Ice Skateing Rink Lighting Ed Kaz Home Repair 11 November 14th 03 02:14 AM