Ed Kaz

Default Ice Skateing Rink Lighting

Is it possible to place lighting UNDER ice ?

I would guess it would have to be low voltage lighting!

Has anyone done this???

Thanks
Ed

CLSSM00X7

Hi,

If you can get under the ice it is possible yes. Is the rink inside and using
a mechanical freezing system? If so the heat from the lamps shouldn't affect it
or melt it. I have seen ice carvings lit up and the colored lights really made
them beautiful. I wouldn't put the lamps too close to the ice if you use
anything over 40 watts. Make sure they are waterproof exterior fixtures with a
GFCI circuit breaker feeding them. I like the idea you want to try.

candice

David Martel

I think that the heat from the bulbs would be a major problem. I bet that
the bulbs would shatter. Expansion and contraction would be a problem. Light
pipes made from fiber optics would be a possibility.

Good luck,
Dave M.

I-zheet M'drurz

On 12 Nov 2003, David Martel wrote:

I think that the heat from the bulbs would be a major problem. I
bet that
the bulbs would shatter. Expansion and contraction would be a problem.
Light pipes made from fiber optics would be a possibility.

Not to mention that ice is naturally more opaque than clear. It
would take a very bright (read "hot") light to be seen.

That said, I think we both just responded to a troll, but what
the hell, you never know.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Ed Kaz

Who you calling a "troll"?-jerk

I can't ask a simple question ?

I am putting in a back-yard rink and was wondering if lighting from under
the ice was possible?

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 12 Nov 2003, David Martel wrote:

I think that the heat from the bulbs would be a major problem. I
bet that
the bulbs would shatter. Expansion and contraction would be a problem.
Light pipes made from fiber optics would be a possibility.

Not to mention that ice is naturally more opaque than clear. It
would take a very bright (read "hot") light to be seen.

That said, I think we both just responded to a troll, but what
the hell, you never know.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

I-zheet M'drurz

On 12 Nov 2003, Ed Kaz wrote:

Who you calling a "troll"?-jerk

If the shoe fits, wear it.

I can't ask a simple question ?

Sometimes the questions are just a bit -too- simple, that's
why you tend to think you're being "baited", by a troll.

I am putting in a back-yard rink and was wondering if lighting
from under the ice was possible?

What part has you stumped? The idea of submersing electrical
wiring in frozen water? Or somehow isolating the lights
under, ohhhh, maybe a bigass sheet of glass that will support
the weight of the ice??? Yeah, those ideas will work. Go
for it, Sparky.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Ed Kaz

Hey Einstein,

I was toying with the idea of installing side-glow cable.

If you only think you need electricity -- stick your finger in a socket.

If you DON'T KNOW what you are talking or have something useful to say
DON'T post.

Is unbelievable people are so closed minded and so quick to think that there
is only one way to do things!

On 12 Nov 2003, Ed Kaz wrote:

Who you calling a "troll"?-jerk

If the shoe fits, wear it.

I can't ask a simple question ?

Sometimes the questions are just a bit -too- simple, that's
why you tend to think you're being "baited", by a troll.

I am putting in a back-yard rink and was wondering if lighting
from under the ice was possible?

What part has you stumped? The idea of submersing electrical
wiring in frozen water? Or somehow isolating the lights
under, ohhhh, maybe a bigass sheet of glass that will support
the weight of the ice??? Yeah, those ideas will work. Go
for it, Sparky.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

mark Ransley

HEAT comes to mind , as in WHY its not popular ,because it makes
it impossible to make ice BOZO

Ed Kaz

BOZO, sideglow cable produces NO HEAT!

I wanted to know if anybody used this or anything else in this application.

I KNOW it can be done (I have seen it).

But do not know how.

I am guessing how??

What's with all the negative remarks.

BTW:

I have a electronics/electrical degree and know a little about water and
electricty..
So if you hicks have something constructive to say bring it on.

"mark Ransley" wrote in message
HEAT comes to mind , as in WHY its not popular ,because it makes
it impossible to make ice BOZO

mark Ransley

then why ask US BOZO

mark Ransley

Put your finger in the socket , if it shocks its No good,,, Lick
it , if it shocks its NG Bulbs are heaters , if Ice melts
Stop OK OK OK Or , pay a pro ,,, Me , Il show you how to
spend the Doe

mark Ransley

I ve got an elec tronics elec degree so im the prooo I want to
frereze water haaaaaa hasaaaaa, But i **** in it so im at a losss Does
**** take a much lower temp to freeze , if i drink yes, its alcohol
if i drink alot? it wont freeze, im antifreeze Mr Antifreeze