Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dave

Default Please help with mud in backyard

Hello,
I recently moved into a new house in Atlanta and I'm hoping to get some
advice on how to best deal with a pretty bad mud problem we have in our
backyard. Our yard slopes very gradually down to the center and from
there is flat. We're getting water runoff from neighbors on both sides
and with our own gradual slope we're getting a big mud pool in the
middle of the yard after every rain. The problem has gotten worse since
our neighbor on one side put in a french drain that directs his runoff
directly into our yard. I am planning to talk to our neighbor, but I
need a bigger plan since the french drain is only a small part of the
overall drainage problem. If you saw the setup of our yards and our
neighbor's french drain you would see that it's not quite as obnoxious
as it sounds since any drainage solution our neighbor adopts will
almost certainly send the runoff our way.

I learned about french drains searching these groups, but I don't think
one will work well for us because there isn't much slope once the water
gets in our yard. Is it reasonable and smart to try and change the
slope of a 1/3 acre yard? I thought about possibly bringing in dirt, or
digging dirt from around the sides of the mud pool to fill in the mud
pool and surrounding area. This might inctroduce a slope away from the
middle to help with drainage, but it would take a lot of dirt and I'm
not sure if this is a reasonable plan. I can also plant some more
bushes or something if anyone has any recommendations to absorb the
water, but I'm sure this would only solve part of the problem.

I would probably tackle a french drain on my own, but I really want a
full solution, not a partial solution that I can handle. I don't mind
using contractors, but I'm not even sure what type of contractor I
need. If anyone can suggest a contractor in Atlanta please post their
email address.

Thanks a ton for the help.

-Dave

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Dave" wrote:

I would probably tackle a french drain on my own, but I really want a
full solution, not a partial solution that I can handle. I don't mind
using contractors, but I'm not even sure what type of contractor I
need. If anyone can suggest a contractor in Atlanta please post their
email address.

Water needs some place to go. In your case, your back
yard seems to be where the water from the neighborhood
ends up. To solve this problem, you have to find some
place else for this water to go. Is there any other
lower ground around you? Are there drains that are
not working?

You might want to start by contacting your city engineering
or zoning department. They may be able to give some advice
or offer a solution. Beyond that, if you simply add in
dirt and move the water onto someone else's yard, they
are likely going to complain and make you fix their
problem.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

On 28 Feb 2005 06:06:00 -0800, someone wrote:

I learned about french drains searching these groups, but I don't think
one will work well for us because there isn't much slope once the water
gets in our yard. Is it reasonable and smart to try and change the
slope of a 1/3 acre yard? I thought about possibly bringing in dirt, or
digging dirt from around the sides of the mud pool to fill in the mud
pool and surrounding area.

If you fill in the pool, where will the water flow to? If you put in
a drain, where will that discharge to?

Dig the pool deeper. Now you have a pond. People pay good money to
have ponds, and now you'll have one.

Backyard Ponds Evon Home Repair 2 January 12th 05 08:47 PM
House addition questions Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 January 7th 05 10:22 PM
backyard storage shed Mimi Home Ownership 15 November 16th 04 11:16 PM
Need advice on laying sewer line in backyard Al Kondo Home Repair 4 October 27th 04 10:04 PM
Grading backyard question PaPaPeng Home Repair 2 September 15th 04 05:30 PM